5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Ram and had the problem very infrequently and now have it every time I go to fill up. I can maybe get 3-4 gallons before it begins to backup. I've tried all solutions listed here; pull the nozzle out and turn the nozzle head. None seem to work now. I'll be making my dealer visit before my 3 yr warranty runs out. I'd be curious to know how receptive the Dealerships are to the issue. Anybody have any feedback??
Mines treating it like a surprise, yet 3 trucks are there for the same thing. My 2021, been there 9 days. My neighbor 2018 was out of warranty, they sold him a new tank, now his new tank won't take gas. Florida Lemon Law says less than 24 months from delivery, 3 failed fixes and 15 days, you can claim it a Lemon and be reimbursed cost of the vehicle, expenses and atty fees.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where is that line located?
its attach to the filler tube/ neck about 2 inch from the top the the tank, near the tank i beleive a rubber hose make the connection from the line to the tank
not sure if its easyer to blow air in it from under the truck or with a long nose air gun from the fill hole,

but i think i would do it from under, 1 collar to unscrew, sperate the rubber hose from the tank to the metal vent line and blow air, i would blow air to the top and also to the tank.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. So if it’s plugged, while pumping gas the air can’t escape from the tank.
i guess so, i never try it because i dont have this problem, but in this very same thread, one member had it done and said it fix the problem, so i figure since its easy to do, that those who have this problem could try that

Reactions: EOC

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. So if it’s plugged, while pumping gas the air can’t escape from the tank.
got me thinking of something, this is pure speculation but, are the pump nozzle all the same lengh( the part that actually go inside the filler neck) ? if not what if that vent line is desing connecting a little to low on the filler neck and that some pump nozzle do not get pass that vent line connection to the neck then gas would enter the vent line as well, so without vent the gas dosent go down fast the filler neck to the tank and stops.the pump nozzle.. next time i go out i will try to see if i can see were the vent meets the filler neck

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone brought this up with @RamCares ? I've got a '20 Limited eTorque with the 33 gallon tank and have started having this issue over the last couple months. Been driving me crazy!! I'm fresh out of warranty so I'm not looking forward to having to pay for them to fix something that, based on what I've read here, wasn't properly designed to begin with. Hopefully we'll catch a break...
Hey there,

We'd be happy to look into this for you. Would you mind sending us a direct message?

Callie
Ram Cares

PLANMAN5740

Reaction score
Update, they dropped the yank and cleaned the vent and fill line, "after I asked them about that tuesday, thanks to a FORUM comment). Filled it up and gave it back to me.

These new designs are not meant to be filled like the old trucks. When not clicks, STOP, too many check valves and sensors between "here and there"!

These FORUMS are a great way to get educated, thanks for all the input.

We'll see how it goes.

Kfins2022

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn etorq. 5.7 3.92 gears. Love the truck but after 50k it started not taking gas. I tried different pumps some a little better but takes so long many stops. Took it to my dealer they cleaned a filter $250 later worked good for about 1.5 months now back to not taking gas. I really don't want to spend $250 every other month to fix this issue starting to get disappointed with this truck. I guess I will try dealer again. Any feedback would be great. Thank you

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn etorq. 5.7 3.92 gears. Love the truck but after 50k it started not taking gas. I tried different pumps some a little better but takes so long many stops. Took it to my dealer they cleaned a filter $250 later worked good for about 1.5 months now back to not taking gas. I really don't want to spend $250 every other month to fix this issue starting to get disappointed with this truck. I guess I will try dealer again. Any feedback would be great. Thank you
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance with this, we'd love to see how we can help. Would you mind sending us a DM with more information if you're interested?

Callie
Ram Cares

Kfins2022

Reaction score

Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance with this, we'd love to see how we can help. Would you mind sending us a DM with more information if you're interested?

Callie
Ram Cares

SpikeMike

Reaction score
Been having the gas filling problem again lately after getting a new tank and filler tube a year ago. After the new tank and filler tube, the problem went away for nearly a year, then came back recently. Scheduled an appointment at the local dealer.

On the morning that I was headed to the dealer, they called me and cancelled my appointment because they are too busy and don't have enough techs. Very strange.

So, on my own and without help from the dealership, I tested a theory. It seems like gasoline vapor and liquid are forming a trap, or vapor lock, in the filler tube. So, I stuck a rod down into the filler tube and the rod came back completely soaked. At the time, the tank was only about 1/4 full. The fill tube should have been pretty dry. This rod might have cleared the vapor lock. The second thing I did was go looking for a gas pump where the ground is at an incline going down away from the gas pump. This is really difficult in SE Texas. It is really flat here. Anyway, I did find a few gas stations where the pumps on the ends are on inclined ground/concrete. I'm thinking if the filler tube is at more of an incline, then maybe this helps clear the trap or vapor lock. So far, this has worked great. I have filled up three times with no problems.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been having the gas filling problem again lately after getting a new tank and filler tube a year ago. After the new tank and filler tube, the problem went away for nearly a year, then came back recently. Scheduled an appointment at the local dealer.

On the morning that I was headed to the dealer, they called me and cancelled my appointment because they are too busy and don't have enough techs. Very strange.

So, on my own and without help from the dealership, I tested a theory. It seems like gasoline vapor and liquid are forming a trap, or vapor lock, in the filler tube. So, I stuck a rod down into the filler tube and the rod came back completely soaked. At the time, the tank was only about 1/4 full. The fill tube should have been pretty dry. This rod might have cleared the vapor lock. The second thing I did was go looking for a gas pump where the ground is at an incline going down away from the gas pump. This is really difficult in SE Texas. It is really flat here. Anyway, I did find a few gas stations where the pumps on the ends are on inclined ground/concrete. I'm thinking if the filler tube is at more of an incline, then maybe this helps clear the trap or vapor lock. So far, this has worked great. I have filled up three times with no problems.
good job :)

so this points in the direction that its probably related to the vent line being clog like threesuns1 and me, mention earlier in this thread. if there is no working vent, that cause the filler neck to not flow proprelly and empty itself in the tank fast enough

DOFF

Reaction score
Had my tank replaced about a month ago, maybe 2. Fueled up twice and the issue started again. Thought it may be the fresh air filter, d/c’d it and fuel up, still had issues. Looking at the length of the pump nozzle, they seem shorter than I remember. Last 4 times I’ve fueled up I push the nozzle in as far as the hardware will allow, pretty good pressure, and I’ve had no trouble fueling, even at stations I could never fuel up at. After applying hard pressure for maybe 10 seconds, I can let go and fuel with no issue. Seems to be working for me now. Give it a try. See what happens

RamCares

Reaction score
I have the 33 in my 2022 and have issues both ways. Most times its hard to get it to keep filling and have to reposition slightly the filler, but ive twice had it not shut off and make a mess.

Youd think filling up a new truck would be easy.
Hey there,

Would you mind sending us your VIN? We'd like to collect more information on this and get you some help!

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online