5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New emissions recall for the 3rd Gen diesels

Boomer7199

Reaction score
I had my ecodiesel in dealer for recall service yesterday. It didn't take that long to update. But, I can tell the recall does affect vehicle performance. Engine has a louder sound for first and seconds gear. The truck seems slower to accelerate(not much compared to Gen2). This software update is not horrible as Gen2 2016 emission recall.(I traded in 2016 ecodiesel for 2021 Gen3). I think California is so strict to all diesel engine. By itself, ecodiesel engine is a good one. But, it can't pass the state emission rules. That's why Ram has to create a Band-Aid to make the state happy. I think I am done with Ecodiesel. Love the truck but there are too much hassles.

Dadeoo

Reaction score
Interesting to read this. I just tried to order a new 2022 yesterday. The sales man said that i could not get the 33gal fuel tank with the EcoDiesel because of a conflict with the DEF tank. They must be planning on making the DEF tank larger to account for the increased consumption, leaving only room for a 27gal fuel tank. What are your thoughts, stick with the EcoDiesel or fall back to the rock solid hemi?
Were you ordering the Quad Cab or the larger Crew Cab. I could not get the 33 gallon tank with the Quad cab in 2021 and had to get the Crew Cab.

Dadeoo

Reaction score
I got this a few days ago, Since am in commiefornia this recall is tied to my registration

View attachment 124863
This is NOT communism. It's the one state that's had huge air pollution problems making sure that people keep the car or truck operating as they were designed. You seem not to remember that the days of SMOG so bad in the 1970s that people were dropping dead at Covid rates.

Driving is not a right established in the constitution. Neither is a right to drive a polluting vehicle.

Rant off.

Wtray

Reaction score
I just got the DEF update completed yesterday. I can definitely say that the dead pedal feel from stop and go appears to be fixed. Not saying that the truck is faster, but from stop to moving it is definitely smoother without the dead pedal to too much torque trying to get out of the neighborhood.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Had the update done almost a week ago. As reported by a few, the initial low speed acceleration is a little noisier, but also the turbo whistle is more noticeable at speeds between 50 and 100km/h. Dead pedal on initial accel seems to be gone. Too soon to see any def consumption change. Service Manager said his own ED had it done when it was first available and hasn’t noticed any change in def consumption, hoping mines the same.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had the update done almost a week ago. As reported by a few, the initial low speed acceleration is a little noisier, but also the turbo whistle is more noticeable at speeds between 50 and 100km/h. Dead pedal on initial accel seems to be gone. Too soon to see any def consumption change. Service Manager said his own ED had it done when it was first available and hasn’t noticed any change in def consumption, hoping mines the same.
More whistle!?! Sign me up

Ratfink

Reaction score
I received the notice to schedule an appointment for the Y81 update, I’ll get it done at the same time of the next oil change, it’s at 16% oil life.
I have been searching Y81 recall to see if any issues have developed from allowing the fix. From what I have read, the fix is flashing the computer, but I have not read anything good or bad. How is your vehicle running? I had scheduled my truck just for this Y81, however, dealer wants the truck the whole day, even after a 30 day waiting to simply flash the computer. I am hesitant, because my 2016 Ram, emission up date was a disaster! My 2021 Ram eco has had zero issues, does have a slight turbo lag.
I will be driving back to Calif next week from CO. Decided to wait on flashing, if that is all it is?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been searching Y81 recall to see if any issues have developed from allowing the fix. From what I have read, the fix is flashing the computer, but I have not read anything good or bad. How is your vehicle running? I had scheduled my truck just for this Y81, however, dealer wants the truck the whole day, even after a 30 day waiting to simply flash the computer. I am hesitant, because my 2016 Ram, emission up date was a disaster! My 2021 Ram eco has had zero issues, does have a slight turbo lag.
I will be driving back to Calif next week from CO. Decided to wait on flashing, if that is all it is?
I did get the oil change and the Y81 update done. Did not notice any difference in performance, fuel consumption or DEF usage yet because I haven’t been using my truck much, (retired and busy at home) I will be going for a 1000 mile trip soon and I will keep track of fuel consumption, def and performance.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just returned from a long trip up north and used about 1/2 tank of def.

1458km towing a heavy enclosed trailer on the highway.

Around 600km of lightly loaded driving on gravel logging roads.

And then another 1458km home loaded with a a few hundred lbs of gear in the bed and 3 people in the cab.

Overall average for the trip was 13.1L/100km with the average diesel price around $2.27/L Canadian.

This isn’t much different than before the emissions update so I can’t say anything has really changed.

Traded in for a nearly identical 2022 the day after I got home. I expect similar mileage/def usage on the new truck aswell.

saulster

Reaction score
Smart move to wait!

I live in Nevada, got the Y81 notice last month and had it done. Pretty soon, my dashboard resembled a Christmas tree with all of the lights. Check engine, electronic throttle, etc. But still drove fine. THen, it went into "limp mode". Restarted and back to normal operation, in to the dealer who had it a day and "fixed". Not. Driving down the highway at 709 MPH and sudden limp mode, lucky to avoid traffic. Back to the dealer now for over a week, a FCA "Star Case". Dealer advises no findings with their extensive diagnostics, now getting inspection suggestions from FCA to try find the problem.

FCA doesn't give a hoot about all of the trouble. I have a POS loaner to replace my USD $80K RAM. FCA says if I want something more, they will "goodwill" up to $40 per day for a rental. Ha, just try rent ANYTHING for that price. Not happening.

The dealer advises they also have a Gladiator Eco Diesel with the exact same situation, did the recall, now many lights and limp mode.
Latest Update: After weeks of analysis, including a "Star Case" with FCA, then more weeks waiting for a part not in stock ( remember, the 3.0 D is made in Italy ), parts finally arrived last Friday and dealer starting to install today ( following Wednesday ). FCA determined that the problem is the intake manifold and some associated hoses. That doesn't jibe with the problems immediately following the Y81 recall but we shall see. Out of service since April 12, that's 50 days so far and counting..........

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Latest Update: After weeks of analysis, including a "Star Case" with FCA, then more weeks waiting for a part not in stock ( remember, the 3.0 D is made in Italy ), parts finally arrived last Friday and dealer starting to install today ( following Wednesday ). FCA determined that the problem is the intake manifold and some associated hoses. That doesn't jibe with the problems immediately following the Y81 recall but we shall see. Out of service since April 12, that's 50 days so far and counting..........
So it’s safe to say that Y81 software update had nothing to do with the issue?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just returned from a long trip up north and used about 1/2 tank of def.

1458km towing a heavy enclosed trailer on the highway.

Around 600km of lightly loaded driving on gravel logging roads.

And then another 1458km home loaded with a a few hundred lbs of gear in the bed and 3 people in the cab.

Overall average for the trip was 13.1L/100km with the average diesel price around $2.27/L Canadian.

This isn’t much different than before the emissions update so I can’t say anything has really changed.

Traded in for a nearly identical 2022 the day after I got home. I expect similar mileage/def usage on the new truck aswell.
Why did you trade?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Hofkamp

Reaction score
I had the Y81 recall completed about a month age, 1 have put on 3500 miles pulling a light trailer most of those miles, def consumption does appear to be slightly more but so does Fuel mileage. Pulling the trailer, I was averaging just over 12 mpg before and averaging 13.6 after....

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why did you trade?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
To be honest I had so many issues with the 2020 I wanted out of it. I got more on trade than what I owed and with the Chrysler family discount and the current loyalty program which gives $4000 and reduced interest my payments aren’t any more. Plus I get to reset the odometer from 72500km to 0.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be honest I had so many issues with the 2020 I wanted out of it. I got more on trade than what I owed and with the Chrysler family discount and the current loyalty program which gives $4000 and reduced interest my payments aren’t any more. Plus I get to reset the odometer from 72500km to 0.
I’m happy for you. I have a few questions if you don’t mind.
Did you get your new truck at Peal Chrysler?
Did you get the extended warranty?
Will you get your oil analysis done?
Can you let me know what you like better than the 2020, my truck is almost Identical to your 2020 Rebel.
I have over 47,000 km and it will be 2 years old next month, and have had no big issues with it so far and plan on keeping it for another 5 years. It was purchased at 0% financing for 84 months.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m happy for you. I have a few questions if you don’t mind.
Did you get your new truck at Peal Chrysler?
Did you get the extended warranty?
Will you get your oil analysis done?
Can you let me know what you like better than the 2020, my truck is almost Identical to your 2020 Rebel.
I have over 47,000 km and it will be 2 years old next month, and have had no big issues with it so far and plan on keeping it for another 5 years. It was purchased at 0% financing for 84 months.
I purchased my 2020 in Windsor and the 2022 in Chatham. Same sales person for both purchases, as he now works in Chatham.

Total discounts on the new truck were just over $11k which includes the Chrysler employee family discount and the loyalty discount which was on at the time. The loyalty program also reduced interest by 1% which doesn’t sound like much but will add up over the years.

I did purchase the 160000km extended warranty and undercoating which helps a ton with all of the logging roads I drive down in the north. The frame on the 2020 still looked like new after 72000km, small amount of rust on the hitch was all I could find.

I was getting the oil analyzed at first but ended up just taking samples at each oil after that which I kept incase anything with the motor happened.

I don’t have enough miles on the new truck yet to have much of a comparison, but the only real upgrade was uconnect5 which seems to be okay, but I need more time with it.

I had a lot of little issues with the 2020, most were resolved with software updates, biggest issue was the DEF level sensor which luckily for me was covered under the extended warranty, it took a few weeks tho as it was backordered.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 in Windsor and the 2022 in Chatham. Same sales person for both purchases, as he now works in Chatham.

Total discounts on the new truck were just over $11k which includes the Chrysler employee family discount and the loyalty discount which was on at the time. The loyalty program also reduced interest by 1% which doesn’t sound like much but will add up over the years.

I did purchase the 160000km extended warranty and undercoating which helps a ton with all of the logging roads I drive down in the north. The frame on the 2020 still looked like new after 72000km, small amount of rust on the hitch was all I could find.

I was getting the oil analyzed at first but ended up just taking samples at each oil after that which I kept incase anything with the motor happened.

I don’t have enough miles on the new truck yet to have much of a comparison, but the only real upgrade was uconnect5 which seems to be okay, but I need more time with it.

I had a lot of little issues with the 2020, most were resolved with software updates, biggest issue was the DEF level sensor which luckily for me was covered under the extended warranty, it took a few weeks tho as it was backordered.
Thanks for the reply. 👍🏻

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought this was funny.
I drove to my dealer for a State Inspection and when I told the SA this morning that I didn't want the flash she said "You mean that you don't to want to pull out of the lot and have no power" with a smirk, as a nod to what the last EPA flash did to me
😉
I'm going to wait a while longer as I'm supper happy with my truck the way it is.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know the drivability of my 2020 was improved with this update, but it’s nothing like my new 2022. Throttle response is amazing and the truck feels ready to go anytime I step on it.

Users who are viewing this thread