5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New emissions recall for the 3rd Gen diesels

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got this email today, looks like something to do with the DEF system and emissions. Not sure if it only affects Canadian trucks or American trucks aswell.

Attachments

• 763BDDD3-1CD4-420C-8DF3-C7A7341A6CD5.png
    763BDDD3-1CD4-420C-8DF3-C7A7341A6CD5.png
    354.7 KB · Views: 200

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Got the same notice here, Canada also... I always laugh when I see "remedy not yet available"

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think its a canada only recall.
Canada may have discovered the issue but you can bet the U.S. EPA will review throughly to find a way to apply it to U.S Rams to enable them to get into FCA/Stellantis’ back pocket. Coming to a U.S. Ram near you! 😉

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m wondering if it will even reach the US since Canada has different emissions regulations than the US.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hope it doesn’t affect vehicle performance or Def usage much, I go 10000km between oil changes and my def typically lasts the whole interval depending on how much I tow.

Chris3058

Reaction score
Its listed on the Ram Canada website now if you put your VIN in. Came out in November?? I haven't received anything in the mail.

So if their fix involves some kind of degrading of vehicle performance or related issue I'm guessing they will be compensating owners as per Dieselgate and VW? What happened with the last gen ecodiesels and the "fix"? Were owners compensated in some way?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
won’t get anything in the mail until a fix is available, my guess is def usage will go up and they are testing the updated software with guidance from environment Canada to make sure it works.

Unless of course something else gets discovered while the environmental guys are doing their thing…

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It could be as simple as the EPA Tier 4 regulations concerning the DEF refill interval requirements. "For light-duty vehicles and light-duty trucks equipped with SCR aftertreatment, a minimum DEF (urea solution) refill interval is 4,000 miles."

"For light-duty vehicles and light-duty trucks (LDVs and LDTs), we are adopting a minimum interval of 4,000 miles. Under the (b)(7) process, we typically had been requiring DEF refill intervals at least equal to the scheduled oil change interval for the vehicle, which is typically more than 4,000 miles. Thus, for LDVs and LDTs, the final regulations differ in two ways from the previous policy: The DEF refill interval is being decoupled from the oil change interval, and the minimum interval is being shortened."

"To put this 4,000 mile interval in context, a vehicle with a 400 mile fuel range would need to refill the DEF tank no more frequently than every tenth fuel fill up. For operators who change oil every 7,500 miles and fill the DEF tank when they do, no more than one DEF refill would be needed between oil changes. We still believe it is necessary to require substantially longer DEF intervals for LDVs and LDTs than for commercial heavy-duty vehicles because of the wider range of usage patterns of light-duty vehicles. Most significantly, these light-duty vehicles are more likely to refuel at neighborhood refueling stations that may not have DEF. Ensuring that these vehicles can go through several tanks of fuel before needing to refill the DEF tanks reduces the likelihood that operators will allow the DEF tank to become completely empty."

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It could be as simple as the EPA Tier 4 regulations concerning the DEF refill interval requirements. "For light-duty vehicles and light-duty trucks equipped with SCR aftertreatment, a minimum DEF (urea solution) refill interval is 4,000 miles."

"For light-duty vehicles and light-duty trucks (LDVs and LDTs), we are adopting a minimum interval of 4,000 miles. Under the (b)(7) process, we typically had been requiring DEF refill intervals at least equal to the scheduled oil change interval for the vehicle, which is typically more than 4,000 miles. Thus, for LDVs and LDTs, the final regulations differ in two ways from the previous policy: The DEF refill interval is being decoupled from the oil change interval, and the minimum interval is being shortened."

"To put this 4,000 mile interval in context, a vehicle with a 400 mile fuel range would need to refill the DEF tank no more frequently than every tenth fuel fill up. For operators who change oil every 7,500 miles and fill the DEF tank when they do, no more than one DEF refill would be needed between oil changes. We still believe it is necessary to require substantially longer DEF intervals for LDVs and LDTs than for commercial heavy-duty vehicles because of the wider range of usage patterns of light-duty vehicles. Most significantly, these light-duty vehicles are more likely to refuel at neighborhood refueling stations that may not have DEF. Ensuring that these vehicles can go through several tanks of fuel before needing to refill the DEF tanks reduces the likelihood that operators will allow the DEF tank to become completely empty."

A lot of material to read, that makes perfect sense, to eliminate the relation between one scheduled oil change to one DEF tank refill. In most case the DEF tank would have to be larger, because many vehicles require one oil change every 10,000 miles and a 5 gallons tank of DEF would not be sufficient, they go on to saying that installing a larger DEF tank would be a challenge for manufacturers because of the limited space available for many vehicles.

The document shows that a vehicle must be able to achieve a minimum 4,000 miles before requiring a DEF tank refill.

The salespeople often say that you only have to refill the DEF tank at every oil changes, which is bull sh.t, the average for my truck is a DEF refill at 5,000 miles (8,000km) So the DEF tank size in my truck meets/exceeds the minimum 4,000 miles before a DEF refill that is shown in the document

I don’t think this document has anything related to the recall from the original post because the document was published on 08/08/2014.

I bought my Rebel in Canada in July of 2020, mfg date 06/24/2020 and have not received a recall yet.

Chris3058

Reaction score
I’m in Toronto . Got my Reb in July 20 and no mail recall but hit the Canadian ram site under support / recalls and punch in your vin. It will come up. Mine did.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got mine today.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm guessing there will be a flash update of some sort. I certainly won't be in a rush to get it.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread