5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New emissions recall for the 3rd Gen diesels

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too live in TX and took truck in for oil change. They flashed my software for a Y81 recall/update. My work order mentions DEF. I’ve driven my truck for 22K miles and know how it drives. It now seems to be reving higher and less turbo lag. I’ll keep an eye on DEF consumption and MPG.
I received the notice to schedule an appointment for the Y81 update, I’ll get it done at the same time of the next oil change, it’s at 16% oil life.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might be imagining things, but ever since I’ve been having issues with the def level sensor in my truck and it always showing “640km until truck will not restart, refill def soon” my trucks exhaust smells like an old diesel and not what I’m used to. With over 65000km I haven’t noticed the exhaust smell as much as I have recently.

Maybe this is the situation where the def consumption isn’t up to spec.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might be imagining things, but ever since I’ve been having issues with the def level sensor in my truck and it always showing “640km until truck will not restart, refill def soon” my trucks exhaust smells like an old diesel and not what I’m used to. With over 65000km I haven’t noticed the exhaust smell as much as I have recently.

Maybe this is the situation where the def consumption isn’t up to spec.
Did you get the DEF system fixed? I think it was you that said the DEF tank had to be replaced and you could not get a rental truck.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you get the DEF system fixed? I think it was you that said the DEF tank had to be replaced and you could not get a rental truck.
Still no eta on the parts, rental may be available now but nothing with a hitch or trailer brake controller. I’ve been thinking about crossing into Michigan after the 1st should I still not have my truck back and buy the tank from a US dealer and deal with ram to cover the costs.

brandomc

Reaction score
Based on my driving habits, ~65% highway and ~35% city, I get around 7,000 miles to the DEF tank. I once took the DEF level to "refill soon" but had no issues starting. Since the Y81 update, I'll keep an eye on DEF usage and report in a few months.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm... I have not received any kind of notice of a recall.

Rhombus

Reaction score
They’re not touching my truck. When I asked for an update for an issue I had, CLEARLY defined in a TSB, they wanted me to leave my truck for a week. So, they don’t get to touch the software on my truck. Period.

GoBuffs82

Reaction score
Interesting to read this. I just tried to order a new 2022 yesterday. The sales man said that i could not get the 33gal fuel tank with the EcoDiesel because of a conflict with the DEF tank. They must be planning on making the DEF tank larger to account for the increased consumption, leaving only room for a 27gal fuel tank. What are your thoughts, stick with the EcoDiesel or fall back to the rock solid hemi?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting to read this. I just tried to order a new 2022 yesterday. The sales man said that i could not get the 33gal fuel tank with the EcoDiesel because of a conflict with the DEF tank. They must be planning on making the DEF tank larger to account for the increased consumption, leaving only room for a 27gal fuel tank. What are your thoughts, stick with the EcoDiesel or fall back to the rock solid hemi?
That depends on fuel prices in your area and how many miles you drive each year. For me it made sense to go from my old 13-14L/100km to the 8-10L/100km with the diesel. At close to 40000km per year I’m saving 1600-2000 litres per year in fuel.

And towing mileage isn’t even close. Same trailer similar weight on the same trip I used to average 26L/100km and the ecodiesel does it at 16L/100km.

Last edited:

Tmit22

Reaction score
Just had the recall y81 flash update today as well as stabilizer bushings that was under warranty. Dealer said the update would increase the def usage 😢 Haven’t noticed a change in performance yet.

I’m not impressed the dealership took 6 hours to do the service.
When I booked appointment they said it was 3 hours for bushings and a half hour for flash update. I bet they only needed 2 hours to do the service.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
on my last trip to Tampa from Toronto area (2480 kms) I used almost 3/8 tank of DEF. Seemed like a lot more than usual. Weird. And that was 99% HWY.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They’re not touching my truck. When I asked for an update for an issue I had, CLEARLY defined in a TSB, they wanted me to leave my truck for a week. So, they don’t get to touch the software on my truck. Period.
That will show them. You go!

hunter1234

Reaction score
I'll be curious of the effects on the DEF usage after the recalls. My 2016 eco diesel would get almost 8,000 miles before I had to fill (2.5 gallons). My 2020 eco diesel gets about 3,000 miles before I fill (2.5 gallons). My driving is the same about 90% highway (150 mile commute daily) and the models are the same (Laramie, crew cab, 6.'4" bed, air suspension and all the factory goodies I could add to the model). One difference would be the gear ratio as I have the 3.21 in the 2020 and I believe the 2016 was closer to 3.56 (forget exactly what) but I did not get the towing ratios in either. Just to be clear I fill with 2.5 gallon jugs when the gauge hit 1/2 tank. at the same time I reset the mile gauge to record the miles I get. I fill both at the 1/2 tank mark, it keeps DEF in the tank so I do not have an issue and the 2.5 gallons put it close to the full mark. I assume the higher usage in the newer generation of engine was to help on the emission issues the older generations had.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie shows about the same usage: 2 1/2 gallons in 3,000 miles. (<- I have not tracked the mileage, so that's a bit of a wag, but pretty darn close.)

~1,000 miles/gallon is far faster use than I'd thought. Yes, I have a thread on it somewhere. ;)

If the Y81 flash INCREASES that consumption, well, I'll just wait that one out I think. And, it makes me more motivated to see about adding a second DEF tank, plumbed in to the first, to extend the refill intervals.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We’ll, I requested that this recall not be performed on my truck at this time but that message must have not been relayed to the tech replacing my def tank today. Updated from 68462387AI to 68462387AJ.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We’ll, I requested that this recall not be performed on my truck at this time but that message must have not been relayed to the tech replacing my def tank today. Updated from 68462387AI to 68462387AJ.
Was the work covered under emissions warranty? I know you have over the 60,000 km/ 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, I think I just remembered than you may have the extended warranty,
You put a lot of miles on your truck, can you let us know of any changes in your truck’s performance and DEF consumption difference

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was the work covered under emissions warranty? I know you have over the 60,000 km/ 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, I think I just remembered than you may have the extended warranty,
You put a lot of miles on your truck, can you let us know of any changes in your truck’s performance and DEF consumption difference
The recall would have been under the emissions warranty I believe, but it doesn’t specify on the work order.

Although the def tank is an important part of the emissions system it is NOT covered under our 8 year emissions warranty on the 1500’s. The entire DEF system is covered on the 2500 and up diesels tho.

Luckily for me the tank and fluid was covered under the 5 year extended warranty I purchased with the truck. Without this warrant the tank would have cost me $2850.00 Canadian plus taxes and labor etc. Warranty has basically paid for itself in one repair.

I will be doing the same 4000km trip in May that I do every year. Around 1500km will be towing a heavy enclosed trailer on the highway, 1000km of driving bush roads without the trailer and then back home on the same highway with no trailer. It’ll be a good test, I’ve never had to refill DEF on this trip before.

Landspeed45

Reaction score
Well it looks like the recalls are rolling out to NA. I got mine in the mail yesterday (in NC). From Reading the posts it sounds like they have performed the updates when trucks come in for service in NA. I have not had my truck to a dealer for any maintenance. Do my own oil changes and video document every one so if any issues arise down the road. From what I have read so far, I think I will wait on this one.

tom318

Reaction score
Well it looks like the recalls are rolling out to NA. I got mine in the mail yesterday (in NC). From Reading the posts it sounds like they have performed the updates when trucks come in for service in NA. I have not had my truck to a dealer for any maintenance. Do my own oil changes and video document every one so if any issues arise down the road. From what I have read so far, I think I will wait on this one.
I received my notice on Monday and I'm in the same boat. Truck has never been to the dealer and hope to keep it that way unless absolutely necessary.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Just received mine in the mail also. Have not had to dealer since new in Feb 21 and have no plans to take to dealer in future unless something major happens.

Users who are viewing this thread