5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 5th-Gen 1500 Fuse / Relay / Circuit Breaker Diagrams & Documentation

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
Thank you, OP for this post. I was troubleshooting my boat trailer with no parking lights. Only had turn & brake. Using a tester at the back of the truck 4 pin (no trailer attached), I could verify it was the fuse. Swapped 20 amp fuses in the engine bay (F08 and F12 I believe...) and everything is working now. Your help was immensely appreciated.

Oneservant

Reaction score
Spare Fuses:
Since RAM uses so many different types of fuses, it's difficult and costly to purchase spares for the road. The biggest problem is finding MCASE+ slotted fuses because these are rare.

With some searching, I was able to find a selection of fuses for each category that can be purchased for spares.

MCASE Unslotted and MCASE+ slotted:
These were the hardest to find, especially the MCASE+ slotted, but this handy kit contains both:

View attachment 83575

Micro2:
These aren't as difficult to find. This kit contains enough of a selection to cover the RAM's needs plus you get three taps as a bonus which will come in handy if you ever install add-on accessories.

View attachment 83576

Micro3:
These are a bit hard to find but this kit has all that you'll need:

View attachment 83577

Also, keep in mind that RAM includes some spare fuses in the External Fuse Panel. I'm not sure if these are the same for all 1500s, but here is a list of the spares that came with my truck:

Micro2:
  • 5 Amp
  • 10 Amp
  • 20 Amp
  • 25 Amp
Micro3:
  • None
MCASE Unslotted:
  • 20 Amp
  • 30 Amp
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 40 Amp
  • 50 Amp
While this is a decent selection, it does not cover all of the fuses in the RAM 1500. Missing are:
Micro2:
  • 15 Amp
  • 25 Amp
Micro3:
  • 10 Amp
  • 15 Amp
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 20 Amp
  • 25 Amp
  • 30 Amp
If you want to save money purchasing spare fuses, then just concentrate on these.

Here is a complete listing of all the fuses (1500 Limited, your model may vary but it will be close):

Internal Fuse Panel:
Micro2:

• 5 Amp x2
  • 10 Amp x8
  • 15 Amp x5
  • 20 Amp x9
  • 25 Amp x1
Micro3:
  • 10 Amp x3
  • 15 Amp x1
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 20 Amp x3
  • 25 Amp x1
  • 30 Amp x7
  • 40 Amp x4
External Fuse Panel:
Micro2:

• 5 Amp x2
  • 10 Amp x9
  • 15 Amp x6
  • 20 Amp x8
  • 25 Amp x2
MCASE Unslotted:
  • 20 Amp x6
  • 25 Amp x2
  • 30 Amp x6
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 40 Amp x2
  • 50 Amp x2
Thanks - I'm learning a lot! I just purchased a Switch Pros controller whose instructions state that in order to control the Switch Pros panel backlighting, one needs to tap into side marker lights / headlights. The only fuse I see is the 40A MCASE+ at F07. How do you use a fuse tap for this type of fuse - do manufacturers make such a tap - or should I look for an alternative method?
Again, as others have already said, thanks for the thorough post! It's helped me out a lot.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spare Fuses:
Since RAM uses so many different types of fuses, it's difficult and costly to purchase spares for the road. The biggest problem is finding MCASE+ slotted fuses because these are rare.

With some searching, I was able to find a selection of fuses for each category that can be purchased for spares.

MCASE Unslotted and MCASE+ slotted:
These were the hardest to find, especially the MCASE+ slotted, but this handy kit contains both:

View attachment 83575

Micro2:
These aren't as difficult to find. This kit contains enough of a selection to cover the RAM's needs plus you get three taps as a bonus which will come in handy if you ever install add-on accessories.

View attachment 83576

Micro3:
These are a bit hard to find but this kit has all that you'll need:

View attachment 83577

Also, keep in mind that RAM includes some spare fuses in the External Fuse Panel. I'm not sure if these are the same for all 1500s, but here is a list of the spares that came with my truck:

Micro2:
  • 5 Amp
  • 10 Amp
  • 20 Amp
  • 25 Amp
Micro3:
  • None
MCASE Unslotted:
  • 20 Amp
  • 30 Amp
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 40 Amp
  • 50 Amp
While this is a decent selection, it does not cover all of the fuses in the RAM 1500. Missing are:
Micro2:
  • 15 Amp
  • 25 Amp
Micro3:
  • 10 Amp
  • 15 Amp
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 20 Amp
  • 25 Amp
  • 30 Amp
If you want to save money purchasing spare fuses, then just concentrate on these.

Here is a complete listing of all the fuses (1500 Limited, your model may vary but it will be close):

Internal Fuse Panel:
Micro2:

• 5 Amp x2
  • 10 Amp x8
  • 15 Amp x5
  • 20 Amp x9
  • 25 Amp x1
Micro3:
  • 10 Amp x3
  • 15 Amp x1
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 20 Amp x3
  • 25 Amp x1
  • 30 Amp x7
  • 40 Amp x4
External Fuse Panel:
Micro2:

• 5 Amp x2
  • 10 Amp x9
  • 15 Amp x6
  • 20 Amp x8
  • 25 Amp x2
MCASE Unslotted:
  • 20 Amp x6
  • 25 Amp x2
  • 30 Amp x6
MCASE+ Slotted:
  • 40 Amp x2
  • 50 Amp x2
thanks for this. i order that/this from amazon👍

22 BlackWidow

Reaction score
Okay, I have question.

As weve discovered, Ram does not feed power to, or even add the fuse terminals to unused/unspeced optoins.
So the qusetion is, has anybody dissassembled a fuse box panel and tried to add fuse contact terminals to any of these fuse possisions?

davidn0021

Reaction score
Are the fog lights controlled by the CBC unit? I don't see it listed anywhere. I want to tap that fuse or switch to the relay on the lightbar to turn on using the same fog light switch instead of mounting a new switch someplace.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FRONT FOG LAMPS

The front fog lamps have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the engine compartment wire harness. The engine compartment wire harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured by nuts to ground studs on the front end sheet metal within the engine compartment. The SCCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the headlamp switch to determine whether the fog lamps are selected, then sends an electronic front fog lamp switch status message to the IPC over the LIN data bus and the IPC relays an electronic front fog lamp request message to the BCM over the CAN data bus.

When the BCM receives a front fog lamp request message it then controls front fog lamp operation by controlling a battery voltage output through high side drivers on right and left fog lamp feed circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic message back to the IPC to illuminate or extinguish the front fog lamp indicator. In certain markets where required, the BCM will automatically de-energize the front fog lamps any time the headlamp high beams are selected.

The BCM also provides a battery saver (load shedding) feature for the front fog lamps, which will turn these lamps OFF if they are left ON for more than about eight minutes with the ignition switch in the LOCK position, if there is a charging system failure, or if the electrical system voltage falls below about 11.75 volts for more than about 30 seconds. The BCM will return the front fog lamps to normal operation when it detects that system voltage is greater than 13.0 volts for more than about 30 seconds.

Each front fog lamp includes an integral adjustment screw to be used for static aiming of the fog lamp beams.

Attachments

• 1920 fog.jpg
    1920 fog.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are the lamps being powered by the BCM directly?
They are according to the schematic and circuit description.
"When the BCM receives a front fog lamp request message it then controls front fog lamp operation by controlling a battery voltage output through high side drivers on right and left fog lamp feed circuits"

striperseeker

Reaction score
@HAL9001 this is awesome work. Thanks so much for your time to assemble it .
Can you tell me if a slot is void of a fuse, but has a label (for example, if it's label IF EQUIPED, such as F56) does this mean the circuitry is there and I can put a properly sized fuse there and use it for something else, like a camera, CB, etc.? Or is this a bad idea? Are there any rated slots that are for accessories like on motorcycles? I see lots labeled SPARE, but are they just empty plastic spaces? Also, where are the Circuit breakers located that you show on the Internal tab? CB1, etc. CB6 looks interesting to jump, but I don't see it in your picture. Thanks again!

AussiePeterJ

Reaction score
Simply excellent resource, thanks for your time and effort. Could you point me to the PDF version please, places we go there is no internet so a copy on the tablet is it.
Thanks again......APJ

cliffsta

Reaction score
Question: is the external F44 (trailer camera) an ignition-on fuse? Or does it only get power when a camera is installed? Thinking of using that for my TRX grille lights.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Question: is the external F44 (trailer camera) an ignition-on fuse? Or does it only get power when a camera is installed? Thinking of using that for my TRX grille lights.
Just use the listing as a general information, then use a test light to confirm. The post is no longer accurate. I was responding with another member the other day, when he asked about power for rear USBs. I looked at this posting for the answer. This post had a circuit breaker #5 listed, but no picture of one. There is no circuit breaker #5. I looked in my 23 manual, and there are a few differences. This is a good reference to start with, but your proper list is in your manual. Even if you lost yours, it's available on Ram's website, or app.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Just use the listing as a general information, then use a test light to confirm. The post is no longer accurate. I was responding with another member the other day, when he asked about power for rear USBs. I looked at this posting for the answer. This post had a circuit breaker #5 listed, but no picture of one. There is no circuit breaker #5. I looked in my 23 manual, and there are a few differences. This is a good reference to start with, but your proper list is in your manual. Even if you lost yours, it's available on Ram's website, or app.
Well my truck is barely two months I sure hope I haven’t lost it 😂

I’ll scope out the manual this evening. I’d rather put the fuse tap on an otherwise unused circuit. But only if it’s always on with ignition.

Vivrosh

Reaction score
How to put usb charging only on ignition only I did the 12v with 54 fuse but usb still haveing power Even after truck is off and lock

Users who are viewing this thread