5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help.Multiple Fuel injector failure

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please keep us updated. This worries me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tophert08

Reaction score
No clue what caused the injector failure but. 2 were replaced at 20k miles before I purchased, then 5 more at 29k-30k miles. No other parts showed any signs of failure.

Drewster

Reaction score
UPDATE: got the truck back and all seems to be good now, 7 injectors had to be replaced. 1 original left I plan to replace just as a precaution $35 dollar part I’ll swap out myself.
That's what I would do for sure. If you have a bandsaw, cut it open and inspect it (if you can safely)- I would bet the pintle is corroded from water or some other contaminant.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No clue what caused the injector failure but. 2 were replaced at 20k miles before I purchased, then 5 more at 29k-30k miles. No other parts showed any signs of failure.

I was just about to PM you this afternoon see if you heard anything. This has been on my mine since I had two replaced so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellmans

Reaction score
people getting free or discounted fuel at get go ,store it in shed or somewhere moisture happens or some sort of other contaminants

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the record...higher octane is NOT better fuel. An engine designed for 87/89 does not run 'better' because you paid more for fuel. Unless you modified your engine thus requiring the higher octane you are at best wasting your money. Run what the engineers designed it for.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the record...higher octane is NOT better fuel. An engine designed for 87/89 does not run 'better' because you paid more for fuel. Unless you modified your engine thus requiring the higher octane you are at best wasting your money. Run what the engineers designed it for.

This has been debated until everyone was heated and angry (see other's posts regarding 89 vs 91). Let those run what they find to be best for them. My Durango R/T loved 91 and gave me 3 extra days out of the tank when running it .. My truck runs OK on 89 but I get more MPGs from 91 .. I've written up my own personal experiences with data. elsewhere. I found a place that has great 89 and ran that for a while. Now I am running 91 from somewhere else and the engine likes it better. (I am in the central US so most is made from Corn).

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Update: oil change performed last week at Red River Dodge/Ram dealership in arkansas caused the stalling and rough cold starts. Apparently they used the wrong oil and a very cheap oil filter. Had it changed at ORR Ram in Arkansas and corrected that issue. ORR found another faulty injector, they also checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail and was perfect. They suggested the previous owner may have used some sort of fuel additive that could cause all of the injector failures. So 5 of 8 injectors have been replaced. None of the replaced injectors have shown a misfire. Mopar warranty will not allow them to replace the rest without first showing a failure. So it’s a waiting game injector fails, order a new one, wait for shipping a day then install, test again find another failure then Repeat. Very frustrating. Service advisor has stated multiple times that he knows the last three will have to be replaced but Mopar won’t allow it 😩
I had this happen with a Ford with coil packs, failing one at a time and wouldn't warrant until failure. After my third trip to the dealer I traded it in. Super annoying.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
But 89 works best if you're running Rotella in the tranny and 927 premixed at 50:1.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has been debated until everyone was heated and angry (see other's posts regarding 89 vs 91). Let those run what they find to be best for them. My Durango R/T loved 91 and gave me 3 extra days out of the tank when running it .. My truck runs OK on 89 but I get more MPGs from 91 .. I've written up my own personal experiences with data. elsewhere. I found a place that has great 89 and ran that for a while. Now I am running 91 from somewhere else and the engine likes it better. (I am in the central US so most is made from Corn).
Fair point...hugely debated previously. Run what you believe is best. But what is not debatable is that a higher octane number equates to a better quality of fuel, nor whether your engine was designed for it. You can buy 93 and it is still garbage, etc etc.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since its used it could have sat on the lot for who knows how long and you can accumulate moisture in the gas tank. Run a couple bottles of dry gas or fuel treatment through it to get the moisture cleared out. Sometimes its just simple things that people make complicated.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Fair point...hugely debated previously. Run what you believe is best. But what is not debatable is that a higher octane number equates to a better quality of fuel, nor whether your engine was designed for it. You can buy 93 and it is still garbage, etc etc.
Yeah I only run 100LL from the airfield. It's 7 points better than 93 clear.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Hopefully you're kidding - Avgas has TEL that will destroy the catalysts and O2 sensors on your road vehicle.
Catalysts? First thing I got rid of, and 02 sensors are easily fooled with a common bypass resistor. The amount of TEL in Avgas is negligible, the LL means Low Lead.

Drewster

Reaction score
Catalysts? First thing I got rid of, and 02 sensors are easily fooled with a common bypass resistor. The amount of TEL in Avgas is negligible, the LL means Low Lead.
tenor.gif

Tophert08

Reaction score
Drove around 700 miles so far, truck seems to be fixed! Haven’t swapped the last Original injector yet. I have noticed fuel economy has gone up since swapping out those 5 injectors. Since this is my first Hemi I didn’t know what to expect but we were getting 14-16 mpg now we are getting 17-19 consistently. Truck is 4wd crew cab short bed 3.92 gears.

Drewster

Reaction score
Drove around 700 miles so far, truck seems to be fixed! Haven’t swapped the last Original injector yet. I have noticed fuel economy has gone up since swapping out those 5 injectors. Since this is my first Hemi I didn’t know what to expect but we were getting 14-16 mpg now we are getting 17-19 consistently. Truck is 4wd crew cab short bed 3.92 gears.
That's great news! Don't slack on that last injector, though - you've only got one O2 sensor per bank, so if you've got a bad injector leaning out that cylinder the ECU won't know until it picks up knock or misfires.

Users who are viewing this thread