5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help.Multiple Fuel injector failure

Tophert08

Reaction score
Tried searching couldn’t find the info I need. Just bought a used 19 big Horn 5.7 with 25xxx miles (my first mopar) had a slightly rough idle since I bought it figured it was normal. Previous truck was a 6.2L GMC Sierra Denali that required premium fuel so I always run 91/93 premium as a habit. Have put 5k miles on it and in the middle of a 800 mile trip the check engine light came on stopped and got the code read at a parts store they recommended spark plugs and coil packs due to misfire. It had a very rough idle one time while driving that cleared up quickly. Got to our destination and got it into a dealership immediately, they diagnosed that we had a bad injector. Replaced the faulty injector and test drove and found another misfire that resulted in a second injector being replaced. Dealership looked into the service history and found 2 injectors had been replaced prior to my purchase of the truck. Injectors 3,4,5,6 have been replaced. Got the truck back and within 2 days it hesitates and runs rough on cold starts and back the slightly rough idle. So this truck has had 4 injectors replaced and the dealership is telling me that running 91/93 premium is causing the truck to have issues?
I will start running 89 octane as Ram recommends just to satisfy the dealership service advisor but I doubt that would cause issues running better fuel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I give up on Ram and go back to GM.

Attachments

• 5AA80A1A-E02F-46F3-9A93-4168EC62432C.jpeg
    5AA80A1A-E02F-46F3-9A93-4168EC62432C.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 36

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get that truck back to them ASAP and don’t leave the dealership with it unless it’s fixed. They will drag this out if you allow them it shouldn’t be no reason why you should be diagnosing a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: c3k

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s still under warranty but won’t be if you keep driving it

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Get that truck back to them ASAP and don’t leave the dealership with it unless it’s fixed. They will drag this out if you allow them it shouldn’t be no reason why you should be diagnosing a new truck.
It wasn't a new truck, it was a used '19 with 25,XXX miles (although perhaps "new" to the OP, however).

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tried searching couldn’t find the info I need. Just bought a used 19 big Horn 5.7 with 25xxx miles (my first mopar) had a slightly rough idle since I bought it figured it was normal. Previous truck was a 6.2L GMC Sierra Denali that required premium fuel so I always run 91/93 premium as a habit. Have put 5k miles on it and in the middle of a 800 mile trip the check engine light came on stopped and got the code read at a parts store they recommended spark plugs and coil packs due to misfire. It had a very rough idle one time while driving that cleared up quickly. Got to our destination and got it into a dealership immediately, they diagnosed that we had a bad injector. Replaced the faulty injector and test drove and found another misfire that resulted in a second injector being replaced. Dealership looked into the service history and found 2 injectors had been replaced prior to my purchase of the truck. Injectors 3,4,5,6 have been replaced. Got the truck back and within 2 days it hesitates and runs rough on cold starts and back the slightly rough idle. So this truck has had 4 injectors replaced and the dealership is telling me that running 91/93 premium is causing the truck to have issues?
I will start running 89 octane as Ram recommends just to satisfy the dealership service advisor but I doubt that would cause issues running better fuel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I give up on Ram and go back to GM.

That's not going to cause it, I've been running 93 only since new and 20K miles I've had no issues.
Sounds like they don't know what the problem is. Now, I will say that in my previous truck, I ran Kroger gas or non top tier and that caused my fuel gauge to misread.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the timeframe the 2019s were being built there was a defective batch of fuel injectors, although I thought it only affected the V6 Pentastar (could be wrong).

In any event, that's an unusual failure rate of injectors on the same engine, especially for an engine that does not have a history of high incidence rate of replacement. If I were the tech. I'd be suspicious of something in the fuel rail, like dirt or metal filings. Could be a fuel pump generated problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053971 miles.

Tophert08

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, we are taking it to the dealership tomorrow. It’s now Stalling on cold starts. Just had the oil changed Friday. I’ll tell the advisor to check the fuel pump pressure and inspect the rails for trash. If it is trash in the fuel system why isn’t there a filter inline to prevent this?
Was certified pre owned so its got warranty coverage from that and I also bought the Mopar warranty to 100k.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, we are taking it to the dealership tomorrow. It’s now Stalling on cold starts. Just had the oil changed Friday. I’ll tell the advisor to check the fuel pump pressure and inspect the rails for trash. If it is trash in the fuel system why isn’t there a filter inline to prevent this?
Was certified pre owned so its got warranty coverage from that and I also bought the Mopar warranty to 100k.
On the Ram DT system there is only an inlet strainer and one fuel filter. The filter is built into the fuel pump assembly.

I've seen several cases of crap in the fuel rail. Two of these were undetermined particles which made the fuel rail because of a defect or failure in the fuel pump filter. On one occasion (this happened to be a Chevy van that we owned), metal shavings from the fuel pump itself made it all the way to the injectors.

I didn't think of this in my earlier comment, but what is the exact failure of each of these injectors? If it's a spray issue (the injector pintle is clogged), that would indicate contaminated fuel. But if there's a injector solenoid problem, that would be something else.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053971 miles.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This seems like it would related to "sludge" in the fuel tank that is making past the filter. Do you run the tank low before refilling? You could have sediment in the tank that is getting stirred up when you get low on gas.

Tophert08

Reaction score
Dealership never told me what caused the injector failure. Typically keep it above 1/4 tank.

Tophert08

Reaction score
Update: oil change performed last week at Red River Dodge/Ram dealership in arkansas caused the stalling and rough cold starts. Apparently they used the wrong oil and a very cheap oil filter. Had it changed at ORR Ram in Arkansas and corrected that issue. ORR found another faulty injector, they also checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail and was perfect. They suggested the previous owner may have used some sort of fuel additive that could cause all of the injector failures. So 5 of 8 injectors have been replaced. None of the replaced injectors have shown a misfire. Mopar warranty will not allow them to replace the rest without first showing a failure. So it’s a waiting game injector fails, order a new one, wait for shipping a day then install, test again find another failure then Repeat. Very frustrating. Service advisor has stated multiple times that he knows the last three will have to be replaced but Mopar won’t allow it 😩

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks. Typically with injectors it's best to just replace them all when one goes. You're pretty much all the way in there anyway at that point. :cry:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell them to review TSBs and STAR CASES -- pull the oil control valve .. Your engine may need Cams/LIfters (which was another reason causing multiple misfies). They should know better than to just keep throwing injectors at it.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2021 big horn. With 12,557 miles on it. It was certified up to 125,000 mile warranty so that’s good. But after I put 100 miles on it. Got a steering wheel click. Took it back once I had the chance. And now waiting for part to fix that. While I was there different dealer. They Said oh you been here before. I was like nope. Yeah we did fuel injectors on it. Cylinder 1, and 8. Replaced at 10k. So I’m thinking great here we go. I was pretty upset that the dealer with held the info when I asked about the two services in the carfax. So called the dealer where I bought it. They then tell me cylinder 3 also was replaced at 12,500. So basically it was trader in prob because it was in now for injectors failing twice. I put 1,000 miles on it now. Seems to run smooth and idle.

Tophert08

Reaction score
Good luck. If it turns out to be fuel additives or cheap gas causing it, I’d watch where you fill up. Most likely another underlying problem in the fuel system that is yet to be figured out.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The months where the injectors failed was during the time the east cost had the fuel shortage. Well people freaked out really. Cause the stations to go empty. I thought maybe the person before me. Got gas from an mom and pop station from the bottom of the barrel. I run 89 since I bought it. And been using a wawa. High flow of traffic there. So shouldn’t have to worry I hope. With all the readings I been doing. I’m wondering if the fuel system has a bad design in filtration. I can’t see how some fuel clear can cause this.

Drewster

Reaction score
It makes sense that someone put some snake oil in that killed the injectors - especially if they rusted shut.

That being said, if you ever get a repeat misfire code (i.e. cyl 6 is bad, even though you already replaced that injector), I would take a look at the crank sensor. The ECU determines misfires by crank acceleration, so it's not unheard of for a bad crank sensor to cause all sorts of weird "misfire" problems that weren't related to combustion at all.

Users who are viewing this thread