5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nav System Sucks

Automan21

Reaction score
I've traveled to MA from DE and then to VA. The maps are not even close! As much as I paid for the truck I expected better Nav!!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a smart phone? Google maps and/or Waze works great. I feel you on expecting more from the stock navigation though.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I've used my stock navigation since the first day. Love Google maps so I always use that.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting post....As has been said, pretty much everyone uses a smartphone with app based maps.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I much prefer the built in Nav to google maps and I think one's satisfaction depends on where your drive. I drive mostly where the roads are static and therefore the old maps in the Nav are fine. If you're going into major metropolitan areas with a lit of road changes/construction etc then yes the maps on google are better and needed....but I still like the built in Nav better.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Pardon the uninformed question. Is the Nav subscription based?
It depends on how you look at it. Lol!

On one hand, you can just keep using the same map that came with the truck when you bought it, thus being frozen in time…the map and nav system was worth only what the upsell was when you bought the vehicle.

My 2021 for example came with maps that are about 2-3 yrs old. If you want to update them (once an update is available) it’s going to cost you…about $150 or so, from what I’ve seen. So, yes, it’s a ‘subscription’ if you want to keep the maps updated.

On the other hand, like others here, you just plug in your iPhone or Android and use Google maps or waze, and stay pretty well updated without the hassle.

The only thing I wish for? That the Google maps or waze app would use all the real estate offered by the 12” screen like the factory nav instead of half the screen. My aging eyes would really appreciate that kind of upgrade

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It depends on how you look at it. Lol!

On one hand, you can just keep using the same map that came with the truck when you bought it, thus being frozen in time…the map and nav system was worth only what the upsell was when you bought the vehicle.

My 2021 for example came with maps that are about 2-3 yrs old. If you want to update them (once an update is available) it’s going to cost you…about $150 or so, from what I’ve seen. So, yes, it’s a ‘subscription’ if you want to keep the maps updated.

On the other hand, like others here, you just plug in your iPhone or Android and use Google maps or waze, and stay pretty well updated without the hassle.

The only thing I wish for? That the Google maps or waze app would use all the real estate offered by the 12” screen like the factory nav instead of half the screen. My aging eyes would really appreciate that kind of upgrade
My biggest complaint is the turn by turn doesn't show up in the instrument cluster with android auto/apple carplay. Other vehicles do this, and I'm actually pretty sure my 2017 Charger did this. Not sure why it doesn't work in the RAM.

netshadoe

Reaction score
My biggest complaint is the turn by turn doesn't show up in the instrument cluster with android auto/apple carplay. Other vehicles do this, and I'm actually pretty sure my 2017 Charger did this. Not sure why it doesn't work in the RAM.
You’re right…my two Hondas do this with Goggle Maps. Most likely a software limitation…they’d have to put in an effort to program that instead of programming more subscription stuff via SiriusXM in the hopes we’ll pay for it. 😆

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The OEM map is alright, but Google Maps is so much more convenient to use. I can just say "Walmart at this X street", and it finds it and I'm on my way. The factory map you actually have to input the address (or business name) like the early 2000s GPS. And if you misspell the name or address, oh well.

As mentioned, try connecting your phone with either Apple Carplay or Android Auto, and you can have your Google Maps right on the big screen.

People using their phones is so convenient that many newer cars no longer use a dedicated GPS program, but rely on the owners using either Carplay or Android Auto for their GPS needs.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
There's supposedly a map update in the works very soon.

Mine updated last week, which coincides with the mid-October time frame for the update. I'm not sure what was in the update.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think UConnect updates the map as part of the regular software updates. As mentioned above you normally have to pay.
No it doesn't, you do have to buy it for $99-150. Rumor has it that Uconnect 5 OTA updates the maps.

Believe it or not the biggest functional shortcoming of Android Auto for me the the fact that it only displays the speed limit when you're actually navigating a route.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I don't have any complaints with the nav, but I have noticed that some of the speed limits are off...some by a lot. There are a lot of 25 mph roads where I live and my map shows a lot of them as 30 mph. That's not a big deal. On the loop that runs through my neighborhood, it's also 25 mph but my UConnect shows it as 70 mph. :LOL:

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it doesn't, you do have to buy it for $99-150. Rumor has it that Uconnect 5 OTA updates the maps.

Believe it or not the biggest functional shortcoming of Android Auto for me the the fact that it only displays the speed limit when you're actually navigating a route.

One of the most useful things on our previous Honda sedan did was read the speed limit signs with it's camera and show you what the speed limit is based on the last sign you passed. Waze is not always correct, so that saved me more than once.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I guess I'll be the contrary one. I find the Nav to be adequate. If I'm going somewhere unfamiliar where I'll need the Nav, I generally check things out on google maps before I leave, so I have a pretty good mental idea where I'm going anyway. I used to use a handheld Tomtom. I miss hearing it say things like, "Take Interstate 5 North, for 328 miles."

Jako

Reaction score
8.4 Nav went belly up (along with back up camera) at the 1 1/2+ year mark. It came back the next day but all my previous destinations were gone, it also puts me on local roads (despite checking all the correct boxes). Not happy over the $800 upgrade, the upgraded bezel is nice but not 800 worth. If the bride (co pilot with waze) is not with me I take another GPS to be safe.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
I've used the truck's Nav several times and it was accurate, although I believe it is still 2019 maps which, according to the Ram site, is "up to date". 🤡

I use Waze when driving other vehicles. I like it's interface more than the other apps I've tried.

Nova90

Reaction score
Never even tried the factory nav. I just use Waze with Apple CarPlay.

Users who are viewing this thread