5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nav System Sucks

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Takes me off the highway and puts me on local roads. I can't and don't depend on it. Not happy with it.
Yup, that's what it exactly did to me. It put me on a local road, parallel to the I87 that had lane closures because of construction.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, that's what it exactly did to me. It put me on a local road, parallel to the I87 that had lane closures because of construction.
Maybe it's a NY/NJ thing. Somebody having a laugh at our expense. Takes me off the Brooklyn Queens Expressway and puts me on local streets, fortunately I know better in this case.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it doesn't, you do have to buy it for $99-150. Rumor has it that Uconnect 5 OTA updates the maps.

Believe it or not the biggest functional shortcoming of Android Auto for me the the fact that it only displays the speed limit when you're actually navigating a route.
That's what I like about Sygic. Shows limits and yearly updates for the price of the system.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
same nav system that GM uses by HERE. unless you say to the nav exactly what you're looking for its clueless.
anything outside of 20 miles the nav thinks you're in a foreign country. asking it to find a major POI in another city 40 miles away is has no idea what i'm talking about. doesn't even option to change cities. doesn't option to edit saved POIs. you either delete them all or keep them all no picking and choosing. it still thinks Kmart is around. WTF

rightushook

Reaction score
I would not mind paying for an update, the issue one is not even available.

Most people seem to get pissed about paying for Nav updates. However they are $$$$ to update. Waze, Google Maps, etc. are NOT free, you (and your data) are the price of admission. I would happily use the built-in Nav more if it was kept up-to-date and had easy voice interface.
I'd love it if it updated easily without having to use ****ty Sirius. Ram needs to drop them and do there own thing.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I just went to the site and checked on a map update. It's $149. It also states that it comes with one update USB that has to be installed before installing the map update.
My system has worked perfectly since 6-2019 and after hearing of all of the problems that some have it sort of makes me want to stick with the system I got. I am one of the fools that pay $15 a month for 22gb for WIFI and the entire Sirrius package, but it's through my company and a tax write off. I can hit navigate and speak the address in the next state and it will bring it up.
I do have to type in Walmart and it will start with the nearest to me and list them out and hit the one I want to go to. It states "online" when pulling locations up. I do use the dropped pins a lot that people send me. I just send it to the truck and go to that section and it has picked up some camps back off the beaten path down old dirt roads.
Oh, and I do use the Waze and google maps at times, but most of my trips are from S Louisiana to W Texas so they are main highways.

Last edited:

LV426

Reaction score
I honestly can not believe these pieces of **** are actually charging for this update, what an absolute slap in the face to customers...
Sell it with outdated software and charge for the current is basically what this is. For all the troubles with this radio they should have made this available at no charge.

On top of that there is no notification, no email to let anyone know (I didn't get anything) and I thought I signed up for notifications.

Attachments

• nav update.JPG
    nav update.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 24

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'm not paying 150 bucks for a map update. I still have to type into mine and we don't use it. Google Maps Android Auto all day long. Ask Google what a donkey sounds like some time if you have dogs in the truck.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I honestly can not believe these pieces of **** are actually charging for this update, what an absolute slap in the face to customers...
Sell it with outdated software and charge for the current is basically what this is. For all the troubles with this radio they should have made this available at no charge.

On top of that there is no notification, no email to let anyone know (I didn't get anything) and I thought I signed up for notifications.

Most manufactures charge for map updates. Our new Subaru is the same way once your subscription runs out. It was also sold new with an old update.

One of the main reasons I don’t seek out vehicles with Oem nav. Only reason we have it in the outback was because she wanted a sun roof and you couldn’t get one without the other.

Google maps with car play is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LV426

Reaction score
I can absolutely see charging for a map update maybe 3/4 years later but because of the known issues with this radio and the fact that is was shipped with a very outdated map to begin with they should have just offered it as a free complimentary update.

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Count me as another one that thinks the factory nav was/is terrible. I would never choose to pay the extra money for it. Only reason I had it was my truck was off the lot.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i finally got hold of someone @HERE and what do you know the Uconnect nav system in my truck was OFFSET. their terminology for F'd up. they did it over the air and now it knows things like where POIs are all over the country and how to get to them instead of hit or miss within 20 miles. even recognizes POIs by voice. my RAM limited is whole once again. said if it happens again contact Uconnect and tell them the system is OFFSET.
i'll compare with google and see if routing is any better now
still not updating $149 tho....

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Android Auto and/or Waze...for all my vehicles.

Auto manufacturer nav systems are notoriously behind date, sluggardly, or otherwise troublesome. I'm sure someone makes a good one...but I -know- that my phone has a slew of great nav apps.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went to the site and checked on a map update. It's $149. It also states that it comes with one update USB that has to be installed before installing the map update.
My system has worked perfectly since 6-2019 and after hearing of all of the problems that some have it sort of makes me want to stick with the system I got. I am one of the fools that pay $15 a month for 22gb for WIFI and the entire Sirrius package, but it's through my company and a tax write off. I can hit navigate and speak the address in the next state and it will bring it up.
I do have to type in Walmart and it will start with the nearest to me and list them out and hit the one I want to go to. It states "online" when pulling locations up. I do use the dropped pins a lot that people send me. I just send it to the truck and go to that section and it has picked up some camps back off the beaten path down old dirt roads.
Oh, and I do use the Waze and google maps at times, but most of my trips are from S Louisiana to W Texas so they are main highways.
Agree,except I dropped the XM. Nave has not put me in the river yet, and finds what I need since the first update earlier this year.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not paying 150 bucks for a map update. I still have to type into mine and we don't use it. Google Maps Android Auto all day long. Ask Google what a donkey sounds like some time if you have dogs in the truck.
Those are Mexican Donkeys

Zeeya

Reaction score
Most manufactures charge for map updates. Our new Subaru is the same way once your subscription runs out. It was also sold new with an old update.

One of the main reasons I don’t seek out vehicles with Oem nav. Only reason we have it in the outback was because she wanted a sun roof and you couldn’t get one without the other.

Google maps with car play is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ferraiolo1, I agree, We have been receiving email and letters to order an updated SD card with new maps for my wife's cadillac and it's only 2 years old. She uses waze all of the time, but same here. It was part of the package.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My beagles weren't fooled.

Ask it "are we there yet" 4-5 times and see what she says.

Users who are viewing this thread