5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nav System Sucks

rconiv

Reaction score
I've used the truck's Nav several times and it was accurate, although I believe it is still 2019 maps which, according to the Ram site, is "up to date". 🤡

I use Waze when driving other vehicles. I like it's interface more than the other apps I've tried.
If you have the 2019 map, you are doing a lot better then me, my 2019 Rebel with the 12" is still on fall 2017. I have had to use Waze a fair amount because of all the road construction, and new housing projects.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the 2019 map, you are doing a lot better then me, my 2019 Rebel with the 12" is still on fall 2017. I have had to use Waze a fair amount because of all the road construction, and new housing projects.
Same here…and the infrastructure around Texas is constantly changing!

ram813ltd

Reaction score
2021 limited and the maps are a FEW YEARS out of date right out of the factory. i have siriusxm platinum (included with the truck). so i don't know what's doing the nav but it doesn't show roads that have been around for years, routing is terrible, and traffic is reported in the wrong area or non-existent. ramcares showing concern....lol. had to use google maps with my last GM because their nav was outdated but better routing than ram and now i still have to use google maps...

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I wish the nav was better so I could use the turn by turn in the dash or HUD, but just not reliable as google maps or Waze. I wish that the Waze could be setup to work with the turn by turn , wonder if there is some type if work around

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i've tried waze a couple times previously but too annoying with all the alerts IMO even tho google owns them. google maps can't be beat.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont use AA much but the other day I received an accurate speed trap warning using AA. When did that start?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
No it doesn't, you do have to buy it for $99-150. Rumor has it that Uconnect 5 OTA updates the maps.

Believe it or not the biggest functional shortcoming of Android Auto for me the the fact that it only displays the speed limit when you're actually navigating a route.
UC 5 will use Tom Tom nav With OTA map updates. BUT to get those updates you’ll still have to pay. What’s that you say? Yes you’ll have to pay after your measly 3 month trial. Here is the package and a thread for more information if you haven’t read it already.

Thread 'RAM Connect (MY22+ trucks)'

Assistance + Navigation (3 month trial)

Remote Vehicle Operations

Connect to your car no matter where you are. The Ram Mobile App is an essential tool for Ram vehicle owners. With this one app, you’ll have more control of your vehicle, more convenience in your day and more peace of mind than you ever thought possible. Take driving to a whole new level, whether you’re in the driver’s seat or not.

Alexa Vehicle Assistant

Command your vehicle from the comfort of your home using only your voice. Simply ask Alexa on an Alexa-enabled device to start/stop the engine, lock/unlock the doors, check tire pressure, flash the lights and more. With available TomTom Navigation, you can also ask Alexa to find restaurants, gas stations and other destinations and then send the addresses directly to your vehicle for added convenience.

Drive Alerts

Drive Alerts helps promote safer driving and gives you peace of mind when your loved ones are out on the road. You can set boundary limits, monitor driving speed, and pinpoint your vehicle’s location at any point and any place.

Send Destination to Vehicle

Use your vehicle’s mobile app to search for a destination or point of interest, then send the address directly to your vehicle’s navigation system – from home, work or anywhere else. By the time you get behind the wheel, your car will be ready to take you where you want to go!

Last Mile Navigation

Because there’s not always a parking spot outside the restaurant or coffee shop, Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions from your parked vehicle to your final destination – or from your destination back to your parking spot – by seamlessly synchronizing your vehicle to your compatible smartphone or wearable device.

Alexa Built-In

With Amazon Alexa Built-In for the Uconnect® 5 radio in your vehicle, you can have the convenience of the Alexa features you enjoy at home, now on the go. Just ask Alexa to play music and audiobooks, place calls, get directions, set reminders and more – all without taking your hands off the wheel or eyes off the road.

Google Vehicle Assistant

Command your vehicle from the comfort of your home using only your voice. Simply ask Google on any device with Google Assistant to start/stop the engine, lock/unlock the doors, check tire pressure, flash the lights and more. With available TomTom Navigation, you can also ask Google to find restaurants, gas stations and other destinations and then send the addresses directly to your vehicle for added convenience.

Smartwatch Extension

Check on your vehicle as easily and conveniently as you check the time. Select Connected services can be accessed through your compatible smartwatch when it’s paired to your smartphone and vehicle app.

TomTom Navigation

Never fumble for directions on your smartphone again. Uconnect® 5 with TomTom Navigation is an intuitive and advanced navigation system offering the most up-to-date map and location technology available.

TomTom Traffic and Travel Services

From accurate ETAs to instant reroutes based on real-time traffic flow, your navigation map will come to life with TomTom Traffic & Travel Services, a feature that provides increased convenience by integrating up-to-the-moment travel information seamlessly into your journey.

Remote Map Updates

Remote Map Updates keep your Uconnect® system current with the latest street and highway changes, saving time and finding fuel on the most direct routes

Advance Search

New points of interest are created all the time. Advance Search is an always-up-to-date online search solution.

Dynamic Range Mapping

How far can you go with the fuel you have left? Find out with Dynamic Range Mapping, a graphic representation of your current vehicle range using built-in navigation.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So Uconnect 5 still has AA and Carplay and currently if you currently buy the built in Nav it's about a $700 option plus if you want the connected features you're paying 15-20/month on top of that. In the long run you may be saving the $700 up front since it's a 3 mo trial.

I'm perfectly happy now with my built-in Nave and AAWireless backup.

I'll worry about it in '24 when I buy a new truck ;)

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have any complaints with the nav, but I have noticed that some of the speed limits are off...some by a lot. There are a lot of 25 mph roads where I live and my map shows a lot of them as 30 mph. That's not a big deal. On the loop that runs through my neighborhood, it's also 25 mph but my UConnect shows it as 70 mph. :LOL:
I like the look of the OEM map better than AA, but agree that the speed limits are terribly off in too many places--beyond the temporary changes in construction areas.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the look of the OEM map better than AA, but agree that the speed limits are terribly off in too many places--beyond the temporary changes in construction areas.
I believe that speed limits come from the map data which is provided to Here but I'm not sure. In any case here in the rural northeast I really done have an issue with it.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
So Uconnect 5 still has AA and Carplay and currently if you currently buy the built in Nav it's about a $700 option plus if you want the connected features you're paying 15-20/month on top of that. In the long run you may be saving the $700 up front since it's a 3 mo trial.

I'm perfectly happy now with my built-in Nave and AAWireless backup.

I'll worry about it in '24 when I buy a new truck ;)
Unless you get the 8.4” system there’s no way to get the 12” without nav. Just about every car comes with AA and CarPlay these days so that’s a mute point. What is a ripoff is the 3 month trial for map updates and all the other features included with that package. You’re back to paying XM guardian prices which is a ripoff and I refuse to pay for the ability to use my phone just to remote start my vehicle the few times a year I would want or need to use it.
It’s ok though I know there’s enough fools out there that will Pay that thinking it’s ONLY 15-20 a month and can’t do the math for 180-240+taxes a year. I’ll stick with CarPlay as the apps are updated frequently and voice commands are easier with Siri.
Let the hating start. 👍🏻

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you get the 8.4” system there’s no way to get the 12” without nav. Just about every car comes with AA and CarPlay these days so that’s a mute point. What is a ripoff is the 3 month trial for map updates and all the other features included with that package. You’re back to paying XM guardian prices which is a ripoff and I refuse to pay for the ability to use my phone just to remote start my vehicle the few times a year I would want or need to use it.
It’s ok though I know there’s enough fools out there that will Pay that thinking it’s ONLY 15-20 a month and can’t do the math for 180-240+taxes a year. I’ll stick with CarPlay as the apps are updated frequently and voice commands are easier with Siri.
Let the hating start. 👍🏻
There's a lot of people who don't worry about $20/month and they're not fools, they just have disposable income and use it to make themselves happy now rather than taking it to the grave. If there's enough people not paying it then the price will change. You can always do what many do with Uconnect and that is just buy a month when you need it. No need for hating, it's not like it's an essential life maintaining service.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To be honest, the only reason why I would get NAV with the 8.4" screen is to get the shiny black bezel, which helps make the screen look larger than it is. The non-NAV screen has a flat grey bezel and makes the screen look smaller.

tdager

Reaction score
I would not mind paying for an update, the issue one is not even available.

Most people seem to get pissed about paying for Nav updates. However they are $$$$ to update. Waze, Google Maps, etc. are NOT free, you (and your data) are the price of admission. I would happily use the built-in Nav more if it was kept up-to-date and had easy voice interface.

Jako

Reaction score
To be honest, the only reason why I would get NAV with the 8.4" screen is to get the shiny black bezel, which helps make the screen look larger than it is. The non-NAV screen has a flat grey bezel and makes the screen look smaller.
That's what I feel my $800 bought me.

LV426

Reaction score
The goal was to just have a biiig screen.... Functionality, reliability, updates, etc... was not apart of the deal unfortunately.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i think if the speed limit shows on maps it activates that feature. i believe it also shows red light cameras.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the built in Nav once. It took me on a route where there was road construction and got stuck in 1.5hour traffic jam. Never again. I primarily use Google maps, sometimes Waze.

Jako

Reaction score
I used the built in Nav once. It took me on a route where there was road construction and got stuck in 1.5hour traffic jam. Never again. I primarily use Google maps, sometimes Waze.
Takes me off the highway and puts me on local roads. I can't and don't depend on it. Not happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread