5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nanny features!

dstevens

Reaction score
Speaking of Nannies......in this new 24, I keep getting a message in the display " check back seat"....and I'm thinking , what on earth could be wrong with the back seat ?
Then it dawned on me....they put this message, up because apparently some people are so distracted, that they have left their child in the rear seat, and gone to work or whatever, and the child has ended up dying, by being left in a hot vehicle.
Seriously ? if you are stupid enough to leave your child in the vehicle, you shouldn't be trusted to drive. Good grief!
My wife's Hyundai did this.

Here's how we learned about it.

We were car camping in her car. We would turn in for the night with the back seats folded flat and our sleeping bags laid out. We would get everything settled and lock the doors - fob or door switch didn't matter. After a couple minutes, the horn and emergency flashers would fire up. I assume this is to alert a parent that there is a child in the back seat.

Yep.. we were the most popular people in the campground.

It can be disabled in her Hyundai; I'm sure it can be on the RAM as well. We don't have kids, so there is no danger of leaving one in the car.

Her Hyundai also has a thing where you can't lock it with the engine running unless you are in the car. Another safety thing, I'm sure. The work around is really clunky and didn't work well the one time we tried it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

dstevens

Reaction score
You know that 1970s Era trucks are still out there. One of these would solve all the annoyances of the rarely used nanny features.
I actually wanted an old Ford F150 when I was leaving my Tundra and looking for what became my current RAM.

I can add a Bluetooth stereo, backup camera, and many other things that are nice to have. Rebuild the suspension, engine and transmission and likely have a pretty nice truck - with less investment. Sure, it would likely not get similar gas mileage and there would be other compromises but also a much simpler vehicle. I'll be curious how many electronics laden modern trucks will still be around and viable in 50 years.

I'm not hating on mine or anyone else's new RAM, Chevy, etc. I like my truck. I just don't see all of the systems remaining repairable for an extended length of time.

dstevens

Reaction score
HOWEVER, as I said in my post, this may not impact rear automatic braking. I do know for a fact rear breaking is turned off when you disable parksense at the switch. Whether or not the rear braking reactivates above 32mph like the collision braking is irrelevant since people will not be driving that fast in reverse.

The rear braking turns off with the switch.

I usually forget to do this when I hitch up my utility trailer. I'm usually reminded when it startles the heck out of me upon backing up. 🫣

I actually really like the rear brake/park assist and it startles me a lot less than it used to.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He is not talking about auto park, he is complaining about not being able to back up with the door open, which is a new safety feature.
That is exactly the autopark feature, and it’s been being implemented since mid-2017 model year on all FCA vehicles with electronic shift transmissions.
Here’s an example of what I just did, and took these pics:
Driver door open, seat belt unbuckled, shift to reverse, take foot completely off brake= truck automatically shifts to park:
IMG_5524.jpeg

THEN, without shutting the engine off, to override autopark:
Foot back on brake, manually turn shift dial to park, and autopark will disengage. You can now freely drive around with the door open and seatbelt unbuckled all you want in that engine running drive cycle:
IMG_5525.jpeg
So, all you need to do to get around autopark is purposely make it engage one time, shift back to park, then it’s disengaged.
IMG_5526.jpeg

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually my responses are correct. My leg hit the dash, because the extension puts the point where the belt changes direction 3 inches closer to the dash than it is designed to be. He is not talking about auto park, he is complaining about not being able to back up with the door open, which is a new safety feature. If you get out with the truck running, it does not apply the parking brake, but when you get back in, it will not go out of park with the door open. The reverse auto stop can be deactivated with the switch, but will not turn itself back on. You can also turn the auto stop off independently from the notification, in the radio settings.

What the OP described in his #3 is in fact called "AutoPark". Open the manual. ALL of the conditions listed in the manual must apply for it to engage so buckling your seatbelt will prevent it from occurring. My 2017 Ram did the same thing.

1.jpg

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear braking turns off with the switch.

I usually forget to do this when I hitch up my utility trailer. I'm usually reminded when it startles the heck out of me upon backing up. 🫣

I actually really like the rear brake/park assist and it startles me a lot less than it used to.

Right after I got my truck I was in the street trying to back my trailer in my driveway and it kept slamming on the brakes. I had to drive around the block to figure out how to get it to stop.

The truck is smart enough to recognize a trailer and extend the blind spot monitoring, but not smart enough to disable the rear automatic braking with a trailer.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What the OP described in his #3 is in fact called "AutoPark". Open the manual. ALL of the conditions listed in the manual must apply for it to engage so buckling your seatbelt will prevent it from occurring. My 2017 Ram did the same thing.

View attachment 168972
So if im backing up with the door open, make sure im going faster than 1.2mph? :unsure:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The auto park is still different than what I am talking about. What I am talking about, you drive the truck, you put in park, take seat belt off, open door. You get out, as I did to pump gas, but realize than since you backed in, in front of another car at the pump behind you, you didn't back up far enough. Get in and with the door open, you try to back up. You can not shift out of park. The car will not shift, until the door is closed. Same as getting out to hook up trailer. I'm sure the door can be opened after it is in gear, but you can not shift out of park with the door open.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The auto park is still different than what I am talking about. What I am talking about, you drive the truck, you put in park, take seat belt off, open door. You get out, as I did to pump gas, but realize than since you backed in, in front of another car at the pump behind you, you didn't back up far enough. Get in and with the door open, you try to back up. You can not shift out of park. The car will not shift, until the door is closed. Same as getting out to hook up trailer. I'm sure the door can be opened after it is in gear, but you can not shift out of park with the door open.
That would be the safe hold feature. Entirely different than auto park that the OP described.
Safe hold can be bypassed by pressing the EPB button.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if im backing up with the door open, make sure im going faster than 1.2mph? :unsure:

I guess that would work. Just get up to speed before opening your door and close it before you slow below 1.2 mph. I think that's a transmission protection feature because the manual also says if you manually shift the into park while moving it will not go into park until you have slowed below that speed.

The AutoPark feature is the result of incidents of people jumping out of their vehicle without putting it in park and their vehicle chased them down and ran over them. My 2017 didn't have it from the factory my dealer added it later when updating my computer.

Anton Yelchin's family settle Jeep lawsuit over Star Trek actor's death

Bigwayne

Reaction score
Have you seen what schools are putting out these days? Kids can't even read a clock with hands. They only teach printing, not cursive writing, they use calculators for math.
It's sad

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would be the safe hold feature. Entirely different than auto park that the OP described.
Safe hold can be bypassed by pressing the EPB button.
What is the EPB button? Emergency Parking Brake?
Is there a procedure involved?
I never feel the need to open my door while backing but it's nice to know.
Update: Yes it works. Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread