5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nanny features!

killerformula

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Overall I really like my ram. But man, is it just ram or do all new trucks have such intense nanny features on them?! Seems overkill sometimes. I have done some reading and I have seen some strategies to get rid of some of these but not all. Do you guys hate these as much as I do!?

1. Horn blows 3 times if you get out with your keys in your pocket with the truck running. Super annoying.

2. Seatbelt chime. Heaven forbid if you don’t want to put your seatbelt on for a short trip. You will hear bonging for 20 min, and any time you stop it starts all over!

3. If your door isn’t shut and you put the car in drive or reverse, it will slam into park and sometimes it’s a pain to get it to go again.

4. I know they can be adjusted, but the trucks sensors love to panic stop you when you’re reversing slowly toward an object.

Great truck but clearly lawyers were far too involved in the design.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Overall I really like my ram. But man, is it just ram or do all new trucks have such intense nanny features on them?! Seems overkill sometimes. I have done some reading and I have seen some strategies to get rid of some of these but not all. Do you guys hate these as much as I do!?

1. Horn blows 3 times if you get out with your keys in your pocket with the truck running. Super annoying.

2. Seatbelt chime. Heaven forbid if you don’t want to put your seatbelt on for a short trip. You will hear bonging for 20 min, and any time you stop it starts all over!

3. If your door isn’t shut and you put the car in drive or reverse, it will slam into park and sometimes it’s a pain to get it to go again.

4. I know they can be adjusted, but the trucks sensors love to panic stop you when you’re reversing slowly toward an object.

All those things can be adjusted or turned off. All easy too. Except having your door open while driving. And yes, this is all new cars not just the Ram. Thank the NTSB.

Jako

Reaction score
All those things can be adjusted or turned off. All easy too. Except having your door open while driving. And yes, this is all new cars not just the Ram. Thank the NTSB.
NTSB just trying to fix stupid and interfering with Darwinism.
All species of organisms arise and develop through the natural selection of small, inherited variations that increase the individual's ability to compete, survive, and reproduce.

6of36

Reaction score
All species of organisms arise and develop through the natural selection of small, inherited variations that increase the individual's ability to compete, survive, and reproduce.
Have you seen what schools are putting out these days? Kids can't even read a clock with hands. They only teach printing, not cursive writing, they use calculators for math.

Jako

Reaction score
Have you seen what schools are putting out these days? Kids can't even read a clock with hands. They only teach printing, not cursive writing, they use calculators for math.
I'm aware of what is going on BUT their self image is doing great.

6of36

Reaction score

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Imagine if you child didn't get that chance, yet there was a safety feature that could have saved them.

It's not always about the driver.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Imagine if you child didn't get that chance, yet there was a safety feature that could have saved them.

Yep, some of these features are also about others outside of the vehicle. You'll get macho people who will tell you that they've been driving for x number of years and never had these and never needed them. But they work and help make people safer.

roikenne

Reaction score
Hey guys,

You forgot, turning on headlights when I turn on my wipers or it gets dark out, and warning me that my turn signal is still on.. Damn thing is annoying LOL

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yes. It is about the kids. Think of the kids. It's for the kids man!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Some of that is true, but I don't want my kids to be idiots who need technology to save\run their life.

1: Tazer DT can stop this (expensive)
2: You can disable this. Get in shut the door and buckle up. Turn the truck to run then remove your buckle and re buckle 3 times. then remove the buckle and start the engine.
3: Put your truck into tow haul mode and you should be able to do this. Sometimes it still will change your gear and or apply the e brake
4: You can leave the sensors on and just turn off the break assist. That's what I do

cliffsta

Reaction score
I wouldn’t call 20 minutes without a seatbelt a “short” trip but that’s just me.

I learned to drive in a 1980 C10 that had nothing but seat belts. No power brakes. Two speed wipers. Blinkers didn’t even auto-cancel bc the cancel device broke in the column. As nostalgic as I get for that old truck, I’d never wanna drive it daily today. I love the safety aids and creature comforts. But to each their own.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You missed the point. You could have the smartest toddler ever.... until you ****ing don't.
Exactly.
I wouldn’t call 20 minutes without a seatbelt a “short” trip but that’s just me.

I learned to drive in a 1980 C10 that had nothing but seat belts. No power brakes. Two speed wipers. Blinkers didn’t even auto-cancel bc the cancel device broke in the column. As nostalgic as I get for that old truck, I’d never wanna drive it daily today. I love the safety aids and creature comforts. But to each their own.
I use to be into old cars and trucks. I like the looks, but never would I want to own them. Even the nicest restored one is a POS compared to today's vehicles.

Tech is here to stay and will get more and more integrated with our lives. I love it. I'm 51 and I've been using computers for 41 years. I've always been into it.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
This is all modern cars, they are flooded with sensors and features to "help". We all know common sense aint so common anymore so its to help these people.
for sensor chime on seatbelt you can get buckle clip from amazon. A pack of 4 is like 12$ and ive used them for years now.
Key fob i heard Tazer
The door, well.... close the door lol the light is on the dash you should catch it before reverse.
braking can be disabled i beleve

6of36

Reaction score
Some of that is true, but I don't want my kids to be idiots who need technology to save\run their life.

1: Tazer DT can stop this (expensive)
2: You can disable this. Get in shut the door and buckle up. Turn the truck to run then remove your buckle and re buckle 3 times. then remove the buckle and start the engine.
3: Put your truck into tow haul mode and you should be able to do this. Sometimes it still will change your gear and or apply the e brake
4: You can leave the sensors on and just turn off the break assist. That's what I do
#2, can't disable 2023, and newer. Only a dealer can.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You missed the point. You could have the smartest toddler ever.... until you ****ing don't.
I guess you're right I did miss the point. No idea what any of the 4 things OP posted has to do with a toddler not having a choice. They are all driver assistance features and has nothing to do with passengers.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I guess you're right I did miss the point. No idea what any of the 4 things OP posted has to do with a toddler not having a choice. They are all driver assistance features and has nothing to do with passengers.
You still miss it, His point is, what if your toddler walked behind a car with an unskilled driver, and it didn't have these safety features? Your toddler would no longer toddle.

Users who are viewing this thread