5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N0GL Software Update Thread

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Hate to be a downer here - but if the maps are still 2017 - who cares about online search?

I think I may have "looked at" the factory NAV ONCE (hit the button BY ACCIDENT). Android or Apple Carplay - Google Maps (satellite view) on top, Music on bottom.

Google maps uses GOOGLE for voice searches (has worked perfect since DAY ONE) - gives more accurate traffic (creepy, but everyone with a mobile connected to google gets movements tracked for traffic). While it may be problematic for areas with no cell signal - I have CoPilot with Offline Maps (that actually DO GET UPDATED).

The update (that got pushed down for me last weekend) did seem to solve a couple of other issues - until they update the internal maps on the factory NAV, it's nearly useless anyways. Especially in areas undergoing rapid growth (like all the new construction here in South Florida). What good is "online search", when the installed map doesn't even have the street (that was built subsequent to 2017) in it's database?

Since the base operating system for most factory (and aftermarket) in-dash systems is ANDROID ANYWAYS - why couldn't manufacturers just leverage (or license) Google Maps and be done with it? (Apple Maps has gotten slightly better, but you still might end up in the Gobi Desert, while trying to get to the Dominoes PIzza down the block).

My $.02

Again - the update seems to have resolved a couple of issues - but the factory Nav really fell short for me - especially in a $70K, fully loaded Limited...

Rick
Well said @RSConsulting. Hopefully the new Uconnect gen 5 will fix the maps issue that’s coming with the 2021 Trucks. It’ll be using Tom-Tom maps from what I read and be updatable OTA.

Would be nice if we could us AA full screen.. but I am sure that will NEVER happen.. I too use AA, but wish I could use YouTube music on bottom while Google maps is on top.

@Neokane I’m hoping with the 2021 Truck and the new Uconnect gen 5 this is possible since it’s running Android software. Will have to wait and see.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So.. upgraded to a new galaxy s20.. Bluetooth still dropped on this morning. So definitely not the phone.
I have a S20 Ultra Zero issues with bluetooth or AA. Definitely not the phone.

hemiguy37

Reaction score
I have the same version as the rest of the group. I have also been anxiously awaiting the update. Id have a question/concern...

Since last week my radio has been blacking out when I back up and I have to turn the radio off and back on to get the screen to show. I have lived through this before and I USUALLY remove the battery's negative cable, let it sit a few minutes and they reconnect. I know from experience that when it does this the NAV is also out of commission and will show my current location as where I was when the problem started with no GPS signals being received. But I wanted the dealer to see it again to be documented, so I have not done the normal battery pull and made an appointment for this week to have them look at it.

Something that I noticed for the first time, and it CONCERNS ME. I noticed the WiFi does not work in the car when this happens. Yes, we are subscribed via AT&T so the kiddos can be entertained. When this happens it show the WiFi on, but none of the normal devices that the kids use can connect. They range from Apple to Android. I am wondering that if the issue is not only locking up the Nav and GPS, but is it also locking up the Cell signal which might explain why the update has not being delivered? Not sure, but interesting. Will see what happens tomorrow when I take it to the dealer. I don't have the ability to unlock the doors, etc. anymore so I can't prove my theory. Can anyone else check this?

Ramcares, if you are reading, can you add any info?

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same version as the rest of the group. I have also been anxiously awaiting the update. Id have a question/concern...

Since last week my radio has been blacking out when I back up and I have to turn the radio off and back on to get the screen to show. I have lived through this before and I USUALLY remove the battery's negative cable, let it sit a few minutes and they reconnect. I know from experience that when it does this the NAV is also out of commission and will show my current location as where I was when the problem started with no GPS signals being received. But I wanted the dealer to see it again to be documented, so I have not done the normal battery pull and made an appointment for this week to have them look at it.

Something that I noticed for the first time, and it CONCERNS ME. I noticed the WiFi does not work in the car when this happens. Yes, we are subscribed via AT&T so the kiddos can be entertained. When this happens it show the WiFi on, but none of the normal devices that the kids use can connect. They range from Apple to Android. I am wondering that if the issue is not only locking up the Nav and GPS, but is it also locking up the Cell signal which might explain why the update has not being delivered? Not sure, but interesting. Will see what happens tomorrow when I take it to the dealer. I don't have the ability to unlock the doors, etc. anymore so I can't prove my theory. Can anyone else check this?

Ramcares, if you are reading, can you add any info?
I'm suspecting you may be on to something.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I'm beginning to live with the fact that our hardware is not compatible with the newest updated software.

I'm lucky, everything works fine without bugs.... Really wanted some new features though. Not taking advantage of the612. 1 screen
Current uconnect just stretched the 8.4 across the larger screen.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone been the a dealer yet to see if they can manually push the 19.49.13 to truck? I imagine the problem is they would say that we aren't eligible for the update so it would take some convincing to download the package against FCA protocol.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone been the a dealer yet to see if they can manually push the 19.49.13 to truck? I imagine the problem is they would say that we aren't eligible for the update so it would take some convincing to download the package against FCA protocol.
I would love to have the offline nav fixed.

thisisbullshiz

Reaction score
I have the update, and the "offline nav" issue is "fixed." I haven't seen any difference in functionality though.

Reactions: MJP

rraulston

Reaction score
I have the update, and the "offline nav" issue is "fixed." I haven't seen any difference in functionality though.
Interesting. My update took 12 hours to finally do online searches. 24 hours something changed. It went back to not being able to search. It then asks if you want to search offline. I hit ok and it does the online search. makes no sense to me....

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So people with N0GL are getting updates?

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't personally think that the cell coverage is the sole dependent variable here. A good way to check is do a 4g wifi trial and see if the wifi is working well. Even those who use the 4g wifi without issues (using the cell signal) have yet to receive the update.

Neokane

Reaction score
8 days till the end of the month.. still waiting.

robwah

Reaction score
Received mine today. However, I have been gone for two months so not sure when it was actually pushed to me!

cjmst23

Reaction score
Can anyone who has been updated confirm whether or not you are finally able to eliminate unwanted stations from the sirius lineup? It's in the manual, but there is no menu for it.

grblaine

Reaction score
Sorry, let to the show. A few dumb questions if someone can fill me in after reading this whole thread just today. I have separate issue with UConnect Guardian not working after an hour of sitting. I won't discuss here since there's another painful thread on that. Questions: What is N0GL? Will I get a notice anytime an update is pushed or do I have to set something up to allow them? Just want to be current. Can TSB 08-114-19 be OTA pushed to me or do I have to go to a dealer who understands software? Wish I could download and do it myself. I appreciate any update or direction here. I have a 2020 2500 Laramie I had built and received just 4 weeks ago. The issue I have has been around since 2018. Argh.

Attachments

• Update MC-10169236-9999.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 25

Grilleguy

Reaction score
I’m on NOGL and received my OTA update to 19.49.13 tonight.

I don’t believe I’m using the trucks WiFi.

My drive to work is only 5 min or less, so I don’t think it’s something that the truck has to driven for any extended amounts of time for the signal to “find the truck”.

My screen prompted me to start the install. I turned the truck off, went to work for 2 hours or so, came back out and the radio said the install had been completed.

i haven’t tried the Nav yet to see if it does an online search. Or if my CarPlay is working properly, I doubt it is-I just think my media hub is bad and I’m waiting for the replacement to come in to the dealer. AAE350BD-F182-4405-9282-E6286A9D1EB6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread