5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My '21 Limited and what's new...

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Not likely. I'll be surprised if it shows up in the 1500 before the 2023 model year.

This reminds me of waiting for Apple Car Play when I was driving a 4th gen LOL. Lots of people posted in other forums that it would be a firmware upgrade, but it ended up being a hardware upgrade that we didn't see until the last official model year of the 4th gen (not counting Ram 1500 classics).

I hear ya.

I'm an "early adopter" - seems I always get the first model year of a new gen (when I probably should wait for year two).

Never know what these manufacturers are gonna decide. I got the 2016 Honda Pilot (first year of Gen3) - no CarPlay. They come out with it in '17 - and pissed off EVERYONE that got a '16.

I think I looked at the factory GPS on my limited ONCE - what a JOKE - and still don't have a maps update. GoogleMaps in splitscreen with CarPlay - and hardwired. Don't use the goofy wireless charger either. Think they put it there - to put the phone out of reach so people don't mess with them when they're driving.

Nothing is ever "perfect" - but in comparison to everything else I researched and test drove - the RAM was still the nicest. And even with a $67K sticker - still better equipped at that price than Chevy/Ford (where adaptive cruise and the other safety features where yet another add-on that priced the top of the line models $10K higher than RAM).

Rick

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would agree. I didn't want, but it came with the package. I will never use it, as I am able to back a trailer, and this would confuse the sh%t out of me.
Right there with you!! Getting to be to old to crosswire my brain!

Last edited:

dsmonline

Reaction score
For those of us that have purchased the newly available bed step for the MFT on our 2020's, we have noticed the lack of a third hole in the bumper mount for the supplied 3rd bolt to go through. The hole is in the step itself and the instructions show a hole, it just is not there and as it turns out, it really is not needed so no need to drill a hole. So a question to BNeal is since you seem to have the new step factory installed, could you look under the bumper to see how it mounted, 2 or 3 bolts? There is a separate thread discussing this issue here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-for-bolt-that-was-in-the-instructions.24087/ Thanks,

johnehr

Reaction score
I would agree. I didn't want, but it came with the package. I will never use it, as I am able to back a trailer, and this would confuse the sh%t out of me.

Grampa taught me 40 years ago, just grab the steering wheel at the bottom and the trailer will go in the direction that you move your hand... ;-)

Timeless advice, no need for funky gadgets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icecoldak

Reaction score
Grampa taught me 40 years ago, just grab the steering wheel at the bottom and the trailer will go in the direction that you move your hand... ;-)

Timeless advice, no need for funky gadgets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice. I have never heard it put that way-----great advice!

BNeal

Reaction score
For those of us that have purchased the newly available bed step for the MFT on our 2020's, we have noticed the lack of a third hole in the bumper mount for the supplied 3rd bolt to go through. The hole is in the step itself and the instructions show a hole, it just is not there and as it turns out, it really is not needed so no need to drill a hole. So a question to BNeal is since you seem to have the new step factory installed, could you look under the bumper to see how it mounted, 2 or 3 bolts? There is a separate thread discussing this issue here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-for-bolt-that-was-in-the-instructions.24087/ Thanks,
I will check it tonight when I get home and snap a pic.

BNeal

Reaction score
So, I just ran out to the parking lot to take a look. From what I can tell, it mounts to the frame and they are using 3-bolts. One on each side, and one on the top where the step frame mounts to the truck frame.

Attachments

• Step1.jpg
    Step1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Step2.jpg
    Step2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Step3.jpg
    Step3.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 96

dsmonline

Reaction score
So, I just ran out to the parking lot to take a look. From what I can tell, it mounts to the frame and they are using 3-bolts. One on each side, and one on the top where the step frame mounts to the truck frame.
You have a totally different mounting method than we get ordering the step as a separate part. We have two horizontal bolts and a third bolts that the instruction show also are installed horizontal (the one with the missing hole). Very interesting!

Attachments

• Mopar MFT Bed Step Installation Instructions.pdf
    447.8 KB · Views: 15

du4life25

Reaction score
Someone mentioned earlier the power folding tow mirrors. Are the power folding only available on the Laramie’s? I’m trying to order a 1500 Bighorn and I’m being told that I can not get the power folding tow mirrors.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone mentioned earlier the power folding tow mirrors. Are the power folding only available on the Laramie’s? I’m trying to order a 1500 Bighorn and I’m being told that I can not get the power folding tow mirrors.

I believe the power-folding trailer tow mirrors are only available on the upper trims (Laramie, Limited, Limited Longhorn).

Big Horn and below are only manual fold.

du4life25

Reaction score
I believe the power-folding trailer tow mirrors are only available on the upper trims (Laramie, Limited, Limited Longhorn).

Big Horn and below are only manual fold.
That’s stupid....I’m having my salesman look into swapping out the manual fold for the power folding. My ‘15 had manual fold but the dealer swapped them for 2500 power fold and put new mods in. Everything worked great.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s stupid....I’m having my salesman look into swapping out the manual fold for the power folding. My ‘15 had manual fold but the dealer swapped them for 2500 power fold and put new mods in. Everything worked great.

Yeah, definitely one of those decisions that makes you scratch your head. It might be easier to just order the truck with the standard mirrors which are power-folding, then have the dealer order the power-folding tow mirrors and install them when the truck is delivered during the PDI process. By going this route, at least all the wiring would be there making it a straightforward swap (in essence).

du4life25

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely one of those decisions that makes you scratch your head. It might be easier to just order the truck with the standard mirrors which are power-folding, then have the dealer order the power-folding tow mirrors and install them when the truck is delivered during the PDI process. By going this route, at least all the wiring would be there making it a straightforward swap (in essence).
Yup, that’s exactly what they did last time. He told me the other night that they wouldn’t do that again because it was such a PIA. I called him today and told him it needed to be done. That’s when he told me he’ll look into and get back to me. Thanks for the info by the way...

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
Can someone explain the benefit of a digital mirror? Does it display things that a regular mirror doesn’t?

It give you a unobstructed view behind you. You don’t see the head rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BNeal

Reaction score
You have a totally different mounting method than we get ordering the step as a separate part. We have two horizontal bolts and a third bolts that the instruction show also are installed horizontal (the one with the missing hole). Very interesting!
That is odd. Why would they build two different configurations to accomplish the same thing? Unless it's a 2021 MY change...

dsmonline

Reaction score
That is odd. Why would they build two different configurations to accomplish the same thing? Unless it's a 2021 MY change...

I tried to use your photos to see how it was mounted with my iPad from under my truck, can not tell for sure if it is different or not. Here are my photos, try to compare them with your setup. Maybe they are the same. IMG_2557.jpeg IMG_2559.jpeg

BNeal

Reaction score
I'm in Iowa right now and my truck is in Texas. When I get back home this weekend, I'll try to get some better comparison pics.

Last edited:

RME1717

Reaction score
Are there any new screens/information in the instrument cluster? Maybe some off road information like pitch/yaw/etc?

Users who are viewing this thread