5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG!!

768mph

Reaction score
Could you do me a favor and check to see if your Trip B overall mph tracks your trip A mpg. I found that my Trip B mpg changes by the same amount as Trip A which indicates that Trip B is not a true mpg for mileage logged on Trip B. I reset Trip A at each fill up. Your trip mpg difference is 0.4 mpg in the picture. Does the difference stay at 0.4 mpg? Thanks
My trip B has never been touched. I reset my trip A every fill up. The gas mpg in the top right corner is from page 3 fuel mileage; yes it is different from trip A and B.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it I checked my mileage tonight. Trip B has never been reset. 2080 miles, 14.1 average. Roughly 80% of my mileage is around town, short runs. 10% towing a 3500lb boat and only 10% hiway. This is exactly, to the tenth what I got with my 14 Ram, similar model and gearing (3.92).

When it is fully broken in, maybe I’ll get 14.3 or 14.4. Very happy with it.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
800 miles and overall average from the dealership lot 19.2. First fill up was a 375 mile road trip mainly on a 55 mph two lane road with 70 miles total interstate driving at 65 mph, start elevation 3800' then climbing over a 5000' pass and descending to 400' then return home which resulted in 22.0 mpg. Hand calculated to 21.6.
The second test has been mainly a 24 mile loop with 55 mph and 45 mph roads going into town and back with only 1 stop sign and 2 stop lights. Showing 20.2 mpg hand calculated at 19.8

I drive easy and coast into stops.
Is your truck 4x4 or 4x2?

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took pictures of both my Trips, then drove 14 miles on the highway. Trip A mpg increased by 0.2 which is normal, but oddly my Trip B also increased by 0.2. Since there are 5 times the miles logged on trip B, it should have only changed by 0.04 mpg. Trip B and maybe Trip A don’t appear to be calculating true mpg for the entire miles logged. Curious if this is normal behavior.
View attachment 6334 View attachment 6335 View attachment 6336 View attachment 6337
Based on my current experience, no, that is not normal. Not sure what would be causing the issue.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
800 miles and overall average from the dealership lot 19.2. First fill up was a 375 mile road trip mainly on a 55 mph two lane road with 70 miles total interstate driving at 65 mph, start elevation 3800' then climbing over a 5000' pass and descending to 400' then return home which resulted in 22.0 mpg. Hand calculated to 21.6.
The second test has been mainly a 24 mile loop with 55 mph and 45 mph roads going into town and back with only 1 stop sign and 2 stop lights. Showing 20.2 mpg hand calculated at 19.8

I drive easy and coast into stops.

Is your Limited a 4x4 and is it a Crew Cab?

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004448 miles.

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
My trip B has never been touched. I reset my trip A every fill up. The gas mpg in the top right corner is from page 3 fuel mileage; yes it is different from trip A and B.
My bad, I assumed you reset your mpg at the same time that you reset trip A. Does your Trip A and Trip B track each other? I posted pictures of my trucks trip behavior above.

19RebelZ

Reaction score
OK, well, I'm now perplexed. I just took delivery of a 2019 Limited with eTorque 5.7 Hemi and I am getting HORRIBLE MILEAGE!! To test and make sure it wasn't me, I got on the highway, set the cruise and reset the trip AND the average fuel economy screens and am getting only in the 16s (drove for approx 40 minutes). How is this possible?? Brand new truck that is supposed to be getting 22 on the highway and I'm getting mid-teens? I'm certainly open to any ideas but I'm about to head back to the dealer to see if they can figure this out. Other than this issue, the truck is great! Ideas??
I got rebel with 3.92 and less than 500 miles. Took on highway to South Carolina and am only showing 16 mpg. Seem like 55mph I was getting close to “19mpg” I’m expecting (hoping) better once the engine has been broken in. But if not, bout like the Jeep I got rid of

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a trip. 133 miles each way, 70 mph cruise, and pretty hilly. 18.5 avg on way down. 16.1 on way back into a strong wind be and 15 degrees colder.

Only 320 miles total on it. I expect some improvement still.

Reaction score
Got 15.8 mpg driving 80mph over a 120mile trip and 21.1 mpg on my way back with the cruise set to 70mph. 2019 limited with hemi etorque. Surprising to see the difference that 10 mph makes.

bmweatherly

Reaction score
Anything over 70 and your MPG is going to drop through the floor as the cylinder deactivation won't kick in, so 16-17 on the highway, especially in a more rolling area like NY, is to be expected imo.
Just finished my first 1000 miles, 800 of which was highway miles. Laramie 4WD 5.7l 3.92 factory tires. Around town 13.5 and 16.5 on the highway. This was in Texas so highway speeds from 65-80, drive was incredible great on the highway. I had a chance to drive the same truck but with the 3.21 rear end for about 500 miles prior and it was about 2-3 mpg better. 3.21 runs 2000 rpms at 80 and 3.92 runs 2000 rpms at 70.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the MPG numbers being posted here are not surprising to me.

The EPA highway test, for example, averages only 48mph with a top speed of 80 for a brief time. Not all interstate speeds like I would have thought. And I imagine Ram sent them low-optioned Tradesman quad cabs for testing. I really doubt they tested higher trim, highly optioned crew cab models with 3.92 gears. Oh, and only a driver, no passengers or payload.

I was hoping for better results than what is being reported but I know these are still big, heavy vehicles with basically the same drivetrain as the previous generation other than the eTorque which seems to make some improvement. Oh how we love to option them up, and add accessories too. And if you’re anything like me I’m rarely driving without any passengers and nothing in the bed or something in tow. After all, that’s why I bought a truck.

Last edited:

Mavroni

Reaction score
I was shocked today to see the MPG my truck got today driving
50 miles of interstate that 3/4 of the way was road construction and a speed limit (strictly enforced) 55mph between Huntington, WV & Charleston, WV. I had adaptive cruise set at 55 most the way with some 75 mph, terrain is mainly rolling hills. Filled up with 89 in Huntington and reset the economy computer. Took the attached pic getting off the exit in Charleston. 24.8 MPG from the lie-ometer. But still not bad!! Truck just hit 5000 miles.
Mixed city/hgway is 17mpg, highway on a long run, relatively flat goes to 21mpg. 89 octane gas. I don’t go over 75 , easy on the gas pedal. To see people get 24 mpg put smile on my face. There are v6 sedans out there that don’t get that mpg lol

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at 500 miles now and averaging 16.5 at 60% city/40 rural 2 lanes with mild hills. I drive at a moderate pace keeping under 2500 rpm shift points. I am seeing some improvement as it breaks in. Limited 5.7 ET 3.92 and ORG, Rambox, fully optioned.

I'm travelling 700 miles in the next few days, nearly all interstate. I'll get a better idea of mpg at 75mph with some hills. My 3.0 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee 4x4 got 32 mpg routinely on that same trip.

tpartain

Reaction score
Here is an additional mpg test with moderate acceleration. My prior test was 2000 rpm and under on acceleration. This one is with a 2500 rpm max on acceleration. 24 mile loop with 55 mph and 45 mph roads going into town and back with only 1 stop sign and 2 stop lights each way. 18.4 showing and 18.0 had calculated. Its all in the throttle position.

craigrh13

Reaction score
That trip was, statistically, an outlier. If you were going by the EVIC, then that number means nothing for both trucks.

Fuelly Ford F150 data for model year 2015 vehicles with the 5.0:
"Based on data from 150 vehicles, 7,464 fuel-ups and 2,749,667 miles of driving, the 2015 Ford F-150 gets a combined Avg MPG of 15.93 with a 0.05 MPG margin of error."

I'll also refer you to trucktrend.com pickup truck of the year competition, which had a 2018 Ram 1500 Harvest edition 5.7L w/ 3.92 (33" tires) vs a 2018 Ford F150 Platinum 5.0L w/ 3.55 (32" tires).
  • The Ford was 400 lbs lighter empty, 0.3 sec faster 0-60, .4 sec faster 1/4 mile
  • With added payload to each trucks rating, the ford was about 100 lbs heavier, 0.2 sec faster 0-60, tied in the 1/4 mile (actually the Ford was 0.02 sec slower)
  • When towing, the ford was 400 lbs lighter, 0.5 sec faster 0-60, 0.4 sec faster 1/4 mile.

And guess what, the Ram 5.7 beat the Ford 5.0 by over 2 MPG in their highway fuel economy run (21.65 vs 19.23). It even beat the 3.6 Colorado that was in the same comparison.

Ram is not known for aggressive programming for the sake of good 0-60 times, and are relatively conservative on their torque management strategy. The 6 speed behind your 2015 5.0 was a pretty good trans. But if you think dropping a 5.0 in your Ram will have much of an impact, I'd reconsider. As you can see from the trucktrend comparison, performance is pretty similar with equal weight. And if the tires would have been the same outer diameter, probably identical.

If you would like more of a sporty feel, I've heard Pedal Commander is a good way to do it.

I don’t care what amagazine or anything says. The two trucks are nowhere close in mpg’s or overall speed and acceleration. It’s very different and even my kids noticed it. Towing my duck boat the f150 would average right around 17-17.5. My new Ram got 15.2 on Sunday on the same trip I always take. I love my truck but the 5.0 f150 has more power and gets better mileage. That’s all there is to it.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t care what amagazine or anything says. The two trucks are nowhere close in mpg’s or overall speed and acceleration. It’s very different and even my kids noticed it. Towing my duck boat the f150 would average right around 17-17.5. My new Ram got 15.2 on Sunday on the same trip I always take. I love my truck but the 5.0 f150 has more power and gets better mileage. That’s all there is to it.

It sounds like you miss your Ford terribly. The Ram doesn't suit you and I doubt anyone here can convince you otherwise! Life's too short to gripe about things you can't change.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Most, if not all, of the posters in this site have a signature that includes the description of the Ram vehicle they own. I've noticed you do not. To give us an idea of what equipment you have, what is your VIN number?

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004598 miles.

craigrh13

Reaction score
It sounds like you miss your Ford terribly. The Ram doesn't suit you and I doubt anyone here can convince you otherwise! Life's too short to gripe about things you can't change.

Nah. I really do like this truck better overall. But I do definitely miss the 5.0. That’s just a sweet engine that really is better than the Hemi all the way around. I miss the get up and go it had for sure.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nah. I really do like this truck better overall. But I do definitely miss the 5.0. That’s just a sweet engine that really is better than the Hemi all the way around. I miss the get up and go it had for sure.
To me the Hemi has plenty of oomph but it's masked by the throttle mapping and transmission programming. The truck tries to shift quick and hold a higher gear under light throttle. Tow/haul mode is sportier. Many claim the Pedal Commander device does a good job of correcting the sluggish throttle feel.

Users who are viewing this thread