5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG!!

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
I was shocked today to see the MPG my truck got today driving
50 miles of interstate that 3/4 of the way was road construction and a speed limit (strictly enforced) 55mph between Huntington, WV & Charleston, WV. I had adaptive cruise set at 55 most the way with some 75 mph, terrain is mainly rolling hills. Filled up with 89 in Huntington and reset the economy computer. Took the attached pic getting off the exit in Charleston. 24.8 MPG from the lie-ometer. But still not bad!! Truck just hit 5000 miles.

Attachments

• 9B8FD1F8-97AE-4AAB-A82B-E32E930E6C93.jpeg
    9B8FD1F8-97AE-4AAB-A82B-E32E930E6C93.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 271

John813

Reaction score
Yup, they get good mileage on the highway. I've noticed hand calc vs lie o meter isn't far off so far 0.2-0.5mpg off.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I was shocked today to see the MPG my truck got today driving
50 miles of interstate that 3/4 of the way was road construction and a speed limit (strictly enforced) 55mph between Huntington, WV & Charleston, WV. I had adaptive cruise set at 55 most the way with some 75 mph, terrain is mainly rolling hills. Filled up with 89 in Huntington and reset the economy computer. Took the attached pic getting off the exit in Charleston. 24.8 MPG from the lie-ometer. But still not bad!! Truck just hit 5000 miles.
Yeah, this is great. I avg about 18-5 the second day I got it to a trip to Florida (about 1300-1400 miles roundtrip), and that was doing 75-80 most of the way. I bet if I keep it at 65-70 I could easily get >20 MPG>

In town not so much in my case, since I have a Uber-short commute that kills my mileage (I avg between 8.5-9.5 MPG)... :oops:

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
Man, best I can manage straight highway at 70mph is about 19mpg. My mixed mostly city some highway is mid 14’s to low 15’s.

The 2017 I traded in would get 24-26mpg at 70mph on long trips.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
I took the truck on our family Vacation to Hilton Head, SC which is about 550 miles when the truck was 2 weeks old and had 600 miles on it. I averaged around 21 mpg on the way down and 20 on the way back. That is through the Appalachian Mountains in WV & VA. and sitting in 45 minutes of stop & go traffic in Charlotte. My city still stinks though around 13-14 mpg but I idle quite a bit through the day on & off the phone.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This kind of mileage is encouraging. I've found it takes 25-30 minutes of highway driving for the fluids to fully warm up and provide the best mileage. Since my commute is about 30-40 minutes, I really notice the difference towards the end, with an increase of 3 mpg at 60 mph over the last 10-15 minutes coming or going. On our dirt road I often set the cruise at 35 and see 32-35 mpg.

RT70808

Reaction score
This kind of mileage is encouraging. I've found it takes 25-30 minutes of highway driving for the fluids to fully warm up and provide the best mileage. Since my commute is about 30-40 minutes, I really notice the difference towards the end, with an increase of 3 mpg at 60 mph over the last 10-15 minutes coming or going. On our dirt road I often set the cruise at 35 and see 32-35 mpg.
That explains my horrible mileage. 10 mins interstate, 5 mins of stop and go lights each way to work and back.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That explains my horrible mileage. 10 mins interstate, 5 mins of stop and go lights each way to work and back.
I'd disagree. I'm currently in the southwest US deserts. It's hot as hell here. Doesn't take long to warm the fluid up, and on drives that hit 1+ hour (even a 6 hour drive), my MPG has never gone over 22 (at 65 MPH~). MPG on my truck is lower than I expected.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd disagree. I'm currently in the southwest US deserts. It's hot as hell here. Doesn't take long to warm the fluid up, and on drives that hit 1+ hour (even a 6 hour drive), my MPG has never gone over 22 (at 65 MPH~). MPG on my truck is lower than I expected.

What is the final drive ratio in your truck? Note that in "Dkwatts1522" original post above, the signature indicates a 3.21:1 final drive ratio. If yours is the 3.92:1 ratio, we'd expect lesser fuel economy under most conditions compared to the 3.21:1 gears. Of course the towing rating for the 3.21:1 trucks is significantly less than the 3.92:1 trucks, but therein lies the tradeoff: performance -vs- fuel economy.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m rocking 3.92 so MPG is the least of my concerns lol. I couldn’t tell you the last time I looked at it to see what I am averaging. Majority of my driving is around town with my ac on all of the time. Although I never let my truck go below the 1/2 way mark before I’m filling it up.

Kasey

Reaction score
OK, well, I'm now perplexed. I just took delivery of a 2019 Limited with eTorque 5.7 Hemi and I am getting HORRIBLE MILEAGE!! To test and make sure it wasn't me, I got on the highway, set the cruise and reset the trip AND the average fuel economy screens and am getting only in the 16s (drove for approx 40 minutes). How is this possible?? Brand new truck that is supposed to be getting 22 on the highway and I'm getting mid-teens? I'm certainly open to any ideas but I'm about to head back to the dealer to see if they can figure this out. Other than this issue, the truck is great! Ideas??

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
OK, well, I'm now perplexed. I just took delivery of a 2019 Limited with eTorque 5.7 Hemi and I am getting HORRIBLE MILEAGE!! To test and make sure it wasn't me, I got on the highway, set the cruise and reset the trip AND the average fuel economy screens and am getting only in the 16s (drove for approx 40 minutes). How is this possible?? Brand new truck that is supposed to be getting 22 on the highway and I'm getting mid-teens? I'm certainly open to any ideas but I'm about to head back to the dealer to see if they can figure this out. Other than this issue, the truck is great! Ideas??
Need more info. What speeds were you driving ? It makes a big difference...
Yesterday I drove on the freeway for a change, and at 65 mph, my display was showing 21 mpg.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 65 I’m showing 21 -22 as well. It will only improve as the truck breaks in.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To really compare, the following is needed:

ETorque?
Axle Ratio?
2WD or 4WD?
Terrain?
Altitude?
Speed?
Distance?
Time Driven?
Odometer?

Much of this can be added in your profile signature as your truck specs.

Kasey

Reaction score
Additional info as requested.....
eTorque
Speed was aproxx 75
Gears 3.21
2WD at the time
Relatively flat
Upstate NY on Thruway
Drove WITH CRUISE ON for about 40 mins (done this twice with same results)
Truck currently has about 700 miles on it

Again, getting in the 16MPG range....just don’t understand.

RT70808

Reaction score
I’m convinced my poor MPG is just city driving.
One the Nav screen there’s a info button:
90C91699-B392-4CF7-8538-7A84AA761ED7.jpeg 7EC2FBB2-F64B-48AF-9BEA-ADD6489D6A4C.jpeg

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque
Speed was aproxx 75
Gears 3.21
2WD at the time
Relatively flat
Upstate NY on Thruway

Again, getting in the 16MPG range....just don’t understand.
Thanks. Your mpg certainly seems low compared to others with 4WD and 3.21 gears. The Hwy mpg suffers at speeds over 65. I would think 19-20 would be typical at 75. 16 mpg is low.

My only thought would be to hand calc your MPG. On your next trip, top off the tank until it's full to the fill neck, reset the trip meter, and drive as economically as possible at highway speeds. Run a half tank through if possible for greater accuracy. Fill up to the same level as before, record the gallons to fill from the pump, and divide that into whatever your trip meter mile are. It may be that your mpg readout is off. It should be close. If the hand calc mpg is higher, see your dealer.

If it is the same or close, here are a few things to examine.

1. Alignment. Check for uneven tire wear. You can feel sharp edges on either the leading ot trailing edges of the tread by running your hand across the tread. All edges in the tread pattern should feel the same. If your truck is out of alignment, rolling resistance is increased, tire wear is accelerated, and mpg's suffer.

2. Tire pressure. Make sure tires are inflated to the max recommended pressure listed on the sidewall. Low.pressure can cost you several mpg.

3. Fuel. If you are running a high ethanol blend, you will not achieve the rated mpg. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than pure gas. It may be hard to find pure gas in your state but avoid fuels with higher blends if possible.

Those are the things I'd check. If all of that checks out, I'd definitely document those things and your hand calc test and see the dealer. It is possible that a faulty engine sensor can cause the engine to run rich. I've had MAF and oxygen sensors do this. They can be faulty when new.

Good luck.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque
Speed was aproxx 75
Gears 3.21
2WD at the time
Relatively flat
Upstate NY on Thruway
My mpg difference between 70 and 75 is 2.5 mpg based on longtime 4th Gen and short time 5th Gen experience.

If the road changes in elevation and requires shifting into a lower gear, MPG will suffer.

Mileage will improve over time. It will go down slightly in winter, when your fluids are thicker and take longer warm up.

Some of the Limited's are 700-900# heavier due to configuration and options, which also impacts overall mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread