5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Ram airflow kit

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All great questions and the reason why I said it would need to be “ proven “ to be effective “ through research I would even began to shell out that cash. :)

Last edited:

Yedi

Reaction score
Here's a sneak peak of the intake and other accessories from SEMA, pretty cool stuff. The RAM air didn't look like much, if it sounds better and adds power I'm in though Screenshot_20181106-104950.png Screenshot_20181106-104947.png Screenshot_20181106-104944.png Screenshot_20181106-104923.png Screenshot_20181106-104912.png

louz

Reaction score
did they mention avalibaliy ? and price ?

Yedi

Reaction score
did they mention avalibaliy ? and price ?

Negative. I knew more about these trucks than the 2 guys I talked to, pretty sad. There was a guy there asking questions to the RAM guys and they were dancing around answering it, I chimed in because i just bought my 19' Rebel and researched a crap ton.....the look on the RAM guys face was priceless. They didn't even know this truck was an E-Torque if that gives you an idea, pretty clear looking the the left side of the intake even with the RAM air

PorBoy

Reaction score
I’m only going off of these photos of which I truly appreciate you taking, but that Ram Air doesn’t look like much. Of course I am not an engineer so I cant say it won’t flow well. :)

Yedi

Reaction score
I’m only going off of these photos of which I truly appreciate you taking, but that Ram Air doesn’t look like much. Of course I am not an engineer so I cant say it won’t flow well. :)

It looked "flimsy" the way the plastic was molded was far from perfect. In one of the pictures if you zoom in you can see the generic acordian hose going to the throttle body, not exactly optimal for performance, but I'm not an engineer either....

Definitely not as nice in person as the original RAM photos show.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
Bummer about the lack of price/quality.

But hey, if they say it bumps the HP curve/nets some peak I'm game.

cmack5000

Reaction score
Some folks will not put any upgraded parts on their vehicle unless it's made by the manufacturer as they are paranoid it will void their warranty without knowing about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. $900 is a good amount of loot to drop on that upgrade but I'd rather wait and see what the true aftermarket releases after SEMA.
That's my big question. I would love to make some modifications to my truck, but I'm worried about the voiding the warranty that I dropped loot on.

768mph

Reaction score
It looked "flimsy" the way the plastic was molded was far from perfect. In one of the pictures if you zoom in you can see the generic acordian hose going to the throttle body, not exactly optimal for performance, but I'm not an engineer either....

Definitely not as nice in person as the original RAM photos show.

The accordian style hose is for flexibility and motor movement. If they didn’t, it would snap/crack if a solid mount was used.
That’s why most intakes have this design or thick rubber connectors that allow for movement. The motor does not stay still during operation.

Yedi

Reaction score
I'm aware of
The accordian style hose is for flexibility and motor movement. If they didn’t, it would snap/crack if a solid mount was used.
That’s why most intakes have this design or thick rubber connectors that allow for movement. The motor does not stay still during operation.

I'm totally aware of that, I work in the automotive field. every vehicle I've had has had a cold air intake. My Tahoe has a S&B intake that has a nice molded plastic tube that goes to a silicone/rubber collar that is clamped to the throttle body. Very sturdy, and has plenty of movement. And I'm sure the air flow is smoother.

Burrell Images

Reaction score
Any word on release of this yet? I'll be looking for an intake to use as part of a magazine install article (intake, exhaust & programmer all in one article), and like this option. It really cleans up the engine bay.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some folks will not put any upgraded parts on their vehicle unless it's made by the manufacturer as they are paranoid it will void their warranty without knowing about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. $900 is a good amount of loot to drop on that upgrade but I'd rather wait and see what the true aftermarket releases after SEMA.
The magnuson most act only states that a warranty cannot be voided because of the addition of aftermarket parts, it still affords the manufacture or dealer then right to deny individual warranty claims as long as they provide written proof that the aftermarket parts caused or contributed to the failure of the part that failed. Really what's this means is although the act offers some consumer protection it does not mean you can slap whatever part you desire on your truck and not assume some risk of a failure that will not be covered. Exhaust and cold air intakes and have an engine failure probably bot an issue, go into the ecm and have it "tuned" and have an engine failure you may be screwed, a lot of this also has to do with your dealer service department. Once upon a time you just pulled the AM parts before taking it in, ECMs these days are much more sophisticated and can now create log files that show everytime a change has been made regardless of whether everything has been put back to stock, basically a history of programming changes still exists, I do not know if the new ram does this or not. The reason I mention this is most people that are adding exhaust or CAIs need programming changes to really see any substantial benefit from the additinal parts gone are the days of super restrictive factory intakes and exhaust systems to where just the net flow through the system results in additional HP. Typically factory programs are set with some safety factor and often what is being done when its tuned is leaning out the a/f ratio and advancing the timing curve, this does create more power but increases the chance of engine damage making it a lot easier for a warranty claim to be denied. Just something for everyone to keep in mind when modifying their rig. Some dealers are very performance friendly and oriented and others are not, so just know who you're dealing with when choosing your mods.

Truckin

Reaction score
I asked the parts department of the dealer I ordered my truck from about the Ram Airflow intake and they said to expect it towards the end of January-however they said a firm price had not yet been set. On this forum I have seen two prices mentioned, $925 (insane) and $526-still high for a CAI but at least one you can rationalize if it works...Anyone know where these two prices came from?

John813

Reaction score
Better have some proof of some type of power increase. Either a better curve or peak power for a MSRP of $925.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
At the price I'll go aftermarket. Warranty concerns with a 3rd party intake is basically zero. Plus easy to take on and off if needed.

The AFE intake should be out soon.

ammdrew

Reaction score
Has anyone heard a updated release date? Last I saw it was expected dec 1..

PorBoy

Reaction score
The last that I heard from my dealerships, is the end of December/ beginning of January. Where they come up with this who only knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/