5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Performance CAI and off road use?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did find this on the Vararam Website and it is basically the same setup as the RAM Airflow it just does not use the shark Cover over the filter to stop heat & air from the engine bay.

Vararam.png

Hallbag

Reaction score
Did a pretty comprehensive review plus dyno a while back. I have no regrets and really like it but you’re not getting close to 30hp. At some point I am going to run a Jay Greene tune and that should help but our trucks use torque curve. So any increased airflow gets adjust at the engine to get back in-line with that curve. Helps a little, sounds great, i noticed helpful mpg gains...but the truck will not allow you to get 30hp, just won’t.

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did a pretty comprehensive review plus dyno a while back. I have no regrets and really like it but you’re not getting close to 30hp. At some point I am going to run a Jay Greene tune and that should help but our cars use torque curve. So any increased airflow gets adjust at the engine to get back in-line with that curve. Helps a little, sounds great, i noticed helpful mpg gains...but the car will not allow you to get 30hp, just won’t.

I do not believe a dyno is going to give you an accurate assessment of the Ram Airflow.

For you to realize the full potential of the Ram Airflow design the truck needs to be in motion and have the kinetic energy of the motion of the truck as well as the density and pressure created by the forced air induction as you increase in speed.

A fan blowing on the truck is not going to simulate that unless you are in a wind tunnel while performing the dyno test.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck will have to be moving over 200 MPH to see anything over 1 PSI of forced induction. Believe whatever you want, but physics and math don't lie.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck will have to be moving over 200 MPH to see anything over 1 PSI of forced induction. Believe whatever you want, but physics and math don't lie.
Technically you begin to see boost on a 6000 RPM motor that produces 350 HP, which is pressure being put or packed back in to the manifold, at around 50 MPH. The pressure created here is small but it is exponential, meaning it will rise by the square of the speed that you are traveling and will depend on the ram air systems design as to its efficiency at each given speed and the RPM's of the motor.

Your system's efficiency will determine how much of a benefit you get from this. But in any case it will lead to quicker cylinder filling and quicker acceleration. You must remember that this is exponential so at 100 MPH you would be looking at +.176 PSI above atmosphere.

This again seems small but your goal is to get the system back to 1 atmosphere or more in real world conditions, not on a dyno as the loads and test conditions are different.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is that this is because it's not EPA-certified/tested, so FCA is just covering its bases. But that's just a guess.
Sooo close. It's actually for legality, because in a few states the aftermarket and cold air intakes are illegal due to emissions testing like... *cough* California* *cough*

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
∆ This. I wouldn't say 200mph but definitely over 100mph. Thats why a new intake can't possibly add torque on it's own because there's 0 forced induction. But they can add mpg and better throttle response.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air Density: Cold Air and Ram Airflow Power Gains

Most people who doubt Ram Airflow think it is merely a Cold Air Intake (CAI) delivering a cooler denser air to the motor, are not realizing that as your vehicle speed increases the CFM flow increases and the Air Pressure also increases.

Well, it is a combination of CFM Air Flow and Air Density / Pressure caused by lower air temps or altitudes. Once again this is a system and application dependent but generally they say that every 10 degree drop in air temperature is worth about 2 HP.

We are talking about a Mass Airflow Meter controlled vehicle that will tune or adjust to the weather conditions for you. When in cooler weather the PCM will not back the timing out of the motor as quickly and it will make the truck run richer and to some degree will take advantage of the added air, basically tuning the car for you. This is worth more than the 2 HP you are seeing it at peak power. It translates into a lot more power under the curve. Air Flow Rate, Air Pressure and Air Density is our priority. If you had to prioritize them in order you would be making a mistake. They all work together.

Air Flow Rate
Air Density
Air Pressure

You need all of them in order to achieve a significant boost in power because once combined you can realize a 10-12% increase in power at only 100 MPH.

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In order to calculate the raw power gain from denser air you can simply use this ratio: 1-1.2% increase in air density for every 6-10 degrees of air temperature.

Most open air filter, under hood systems have an air intake temperature of 120-130 deg. during actual on-road operating conditions. With a ram air system this will drop to somewhere close to ambient.

For this example we will use 90 degree day based on the original 130 degree operating temperature.

We would be looking at a 40 degree drop in air temp, this will give at least a 3-5% increase in power from cooler air.

Now add the increase in CFM or pressure (depending on the system) and you would have a 7-10% total gain in power from ram air and cooler denser air (this would not include any gains that you received while standing still on a dyno from the increase in airflow from the aftermarket air box itself.

It is a combination, not one or the other, that leads to the total power gain.

RAM_AIRFLOW_PATRIOT.png

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't drive @ 100mph unless I'm on a track, I have a dedicated car for that.
Did you know you do not have a MAF meter on your truck? It is speed density tuned and utilizes the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, Ambient Air Temp Sensor, Oxygen Sensors, Cam/Crank position sensors (RPM), and data tables for input to determine stoich. A/F ratio.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't drive @ 100mph unless I'm on a track, I have a dedicated car for that.
Did you know you do not have a MAF meter on your truck? It is speed density tuned and utilizes the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, Ambient Air Temp Sensor, Oxygen Sensors, Cam/Crank position sensors (RPM), and data tables for input to determine stoich. A/F ratio.
I was not aware until now that this truck did not have a MAF Sensor.

But a quick search shows that the MAP sensor also determines the air flow rate:

"A vehicle's manifold pressure sensor, or manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP), is part of an engine's electronic control system. ... The ECU uses the data to calculate density and determine the engine's air mass flow rate, which helps the computer determine the amount of fuel needed to create optimum combustion."

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let's google "How does a MAP sensor work?"

Result: The MAP sensor detects the intake manifold pressure downstream from the throttle valve in order to indirectly calculate the intake air volume based on the relationship between pressure and engine rotational speed. ... Thus, the MAP sensor inputs intake manifold pressure to the engine ECU in the form of electric signals.

Surfingjeff

Reaction score
Also one other consideration is the Delta of the new Ram intake compared to deficiencies of the current stock intake which is restrictive and the added carbon filter also adds to the restriction . Both of these adds static at 350 cfm . My calculations for the Ram intake at 70 miles a hour 6000 feet per minute with the less restrictions , no carbon , equals about 6” water gauge gain . The faster the speed rpm the higher the gains . Not to mention higher density colder air . Compared to one PSI which is 27” w.g. . So all these factors helps with horse power gains on the ram air type of intakes . I have another post with all my calculations but I don’t know how to quote here yet .

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also one other consideration is the Delta of the new Ram intake compared to deficiencies of the current stock intake which is restrictive and the added carbon filter also adds to the restriction . Both of these adds static at 350 cfm . My calculations for the Ram intake at 70 miles a hour 6000 feet per minute with the less restrictions , no carbon , equals about 6” water gauge gain . The faster the speed rpm the higher the gains . Not to mention higher density colder air . Compared to one PSI which is 27” w.g. . So all these factors helps with horse power gains on the ram air type of intakes . I have another post with all my calculations but I don’t know how to quote here yet .

Here is your Quote from the other thread:

Just case in point the standard OEM intake has a chock section measured at 2” x 5” at 350 CFM Intake volume at highway speed the velocity is 6000 feet per minute which is significant back pressure equates. The 2”x5” is just under 3.5” round at that velocity it’s about 12” w.g water gauge per 100 feet of duct . If you look at the stock intake you have several 90 degree turns equals 25’ each straight pipe also those flex section adds static . My estimate would be about 50’ of straight smooth pipe is 6” w.g. of static on the stock intake . So if you take The Ram air unit it removes all the chock sections and hose so you negate the static but the air velocity at 70 miles a hour is 6000 feet per minute you therefore reduce the static by 6” but gain about the same 6” w.g. This is significant .See picture below of the chock section Hard to see but the top of the intake on stock Ram 1500 Hemi on bottom of this picture . I typically do calculations on dust and vacuum systems in air ,pollution control. The way you test it is with Dyno but I can see the gains . Thing about the horse power it takes at vacuum pressure at 350 cfm . Just case in point just finished 1000 cfm vacuum system for small amusement park in Anaheim Ca they required 100 horse power . So 350 cfm at slightly lower velocity may equal the horse power gains for that efficiency as quoted . I think that is the reasons that CAIs work and also this rams especially with the higher density cold air help these engines . I have no idea why Ram would design such a chock on the intake makes sense on back pressure on exhaust for lower rpm around town driving. Just my two cents. If I mis calculated anything let me know .

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not trying to say this intake isn't better than stock, it obviously provides less restriction, but is negligible on what it frees up on a 400hp engine. And at $/HP, it's stupidly expensive. If you gave me one, or It could be had for $100, I would buy it. Just way overpriced for what it is. To each his own though, I've never been one to criticize people on how they spend their money. Enjoy your purchase, if it is justified to you, that is all that matters.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What you must realize is that the intake air speed on a stock HEMI at WOT at around 48-52 MPH and if the ram air system is efficient, which the RAM Airflow is and then some, you only need to break these speeds in order to exceed the engine's intake velocity to start ramming more air into the intake system.

This is from actual on-road measurements, not a calculation of area and velocity.

NHjake98

Reaction score
Can you guys tell me if the Mopar Ram Air CAI is noisy? I had a Volante on my F150 and it was obnoxious. I guess what I am asking is if there is any of that hollow sound or sucking air sound during normal driving.

Users who are viewing this thread