5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Performance CAI and off road use?

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
I was about to pull the trigger on the Mopar Performance Cold Air Intake for my 20’ Rebel but I was curious if anyone has used theirs in off road conditions. My truck sees dirt trails a few times a month and I was worried the dust and more forward intake location wold lead to the filter getting clogged up with dirt faster. Thanks in advance.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't too much about the Mopar one...but I know if it's the oiled filter kind then you're better off with the stock filters. The oiled ones attract so much dust and dirt that by the end of the day the filter will be clogged to the point that the engine won't breathe very well. That's based on my experience here in Las Vegas with my F150...

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
My experience as well with the oiled filters. Does the Mopar kit come with an oiled filter?

YourDad

Reaction score
Same brother. My engine bay is sooo dusty/dirty. Looks like I poured water all over under there then dumped a bucket of dirt on top. I suppose I should find a way to clean everything... buuuuuut my Vararam Air Grabber looks untouched I kid you not! I recommend it. It seals around the massive filter when the hood is closed.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same brother. My engine bay is sooo dusty/dirty. Looks like I poured water all over under there then dumped a bucket of dirt on top. I suppose I should find a way to clean everything... buuuuuut my Vararam Air Grabber looks untouched I kid you not! I recommend it. It seals around the massive filter when the hood is closed.
Must not be taking in any additional air compared to stock then...?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RAM Airflow is a dry filter that is washable; not an oiled filter.

"Cold Air Intake Systems increase airflow, power, and torque. The bolt-on design allows cooler outside air in through a cone filter and funnels it directly into the intake manifold. Made of dry media, filters are high-flow, low-restriction, and washable/reusable."

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RAM Airflow is a dry filter that is washable; not an oiled filter.

"Cold Air Intake Systems increase airflow, power, and torque. The bolt-on design allows cooler outside air in through a cone filter and funnels it directly into the intake manifold. Made of dry media, filters are high-flow, low-restriction, and washable/reusable."

Nice! The Mopar website didn't mention if it's dry or oiled. But I hear that dry flow is better for the dusty environments so that's good

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! The Mopar website didn't mention if it's dry or oiled. But I hear that dry flow is better for the dusty environments so that's good
When the RAM Airflow arrived there was a sticker on the box that stated: "For Off-Road use Only" :rolleyes:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is that this is because it's not EPA-certified/tested, so FCA is just covering its bases. But that's just a guess.
I agree it is for liability coverage. not only EPA but the performance increase as well. The truck is a Beast with this Air-Flow. (y) :cool:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea no kidding, although I'm definitely considering the Mopar one...just not sure how good it will be without an engine tune...
I'm not running a tune and ... I ... Don not regret it... (y)

RamAir is more than just a CAI. :cool:

It's is a bit pricey though...

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Niiice. Do you actually get a better throttle response without a bigger throttle body spacer..?
I have gotten better throttle response throughout the spectrum... No spacer, I swear, or tune...

From dead stop up to to 6000 RPM's... and it gets better as you GOOOOO...

You do have to unplug the negative terminal of the battery; however, while your doing the install so that the PCM will go back into learn mode after you install.
(PCM has to learn to the new Air Flow Rate and Air Pressure / Density )

Ram Airflow - (Forced Air Induction) (y) :cool:

TheSwollenOne

Reaction score
I agree it is for liability coverage. not only EPA but the performance increase as well. The truck is a Beast with this Air-Flow. (y) :cool:
So this is def a must have? Not doing off road stuff, but want to get some good/basic performance upgrades. Is it worth the $$?

Users who are viewing this thread