5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar or AMP Research? Which would you get?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I am looking into getting power running boards and have priced everything out, but can't decide which I should go with. I like the idea of the Factory, Mopar, running boards, but they will cost ~$400 more than the AMP Research boards (including install). The AMP I would install myself, since they just plug into the OBDII port. I would have the MOPAR ones installed because I don't feel confident doing the wiring myself. Would the MOPAR be worth the extra cost? I believe they have a lower profile when closed and have a higher weight limit than the AMP boards. AMP would cost ~$1700 after taxes and shipping, Mopar would be $1800 + install. Dealer guestimated ~2hrs for install and said $200-$300 (lady that does the accessory install quotes was not there to give an actual quote).

Let me know which you would do and why, thanks!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I think Mopar is a better choice (cost being taken out of the equation). If it's installed by the dealer, they can add the sales code so that your boards are recognized in Uconnect (and you can stow/deploy them from your screen).
That said, I just installed the Amp Powersteps (Smart Series) this past weekend. Not sure which model you're looking to purchase, but it's certainly NOT just plugging into your OBD II port. I had to run an entire harness from the engine compartment, down each side of the truck, plus punching through the firewall to the OBD II port. Not terribly difficult, but it took the better part of the day to do. And, for what it's worth, the motors were wired backwards from the manufacturer. So I had to cut wires and reverse the polarities to make them operate correctly.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Personally, I think Mopar is a better choice (cost being taken out of the equation). If it's installed by the dealer, they can add the sales code so that your boards are recognized in Uconnect (and you can stow/deploy them from your screen).
That said, I just installed the Amp Powersteps (Smart Series) this past weekend. Not sure which model you're looking to purchase, but it's certainly NOT just plugging into your OBD II port. I had to run an entire harness from the engine compartment, down each side of the truck, plus punching through the firewall to the OBD II port. Not terribly difficult, but it took the better part of the day to do. And, for what it's worth, the motors were wired backwards from the manufacturer. So I had to cut wires and reverse the polarities to make them operate correctly.
Thank you for the input! I have AlfaOBD, so I can activate the Mopar boards myself, and have factory integration with UConnect, if I were to install them myself. As for punching through the firewall, not a big issue, I have already installed lights that I wired to a switch mounted below the steering column, so that part will be easy. I am more concerned about wiring the Mopar boards because I have no idea where or how to wire them and DO NOT want to mess up the electrical system by accident. Having the motors wired wrong from the factory would have been an issue for me. I'm not sure I would have thought to swap the wires to reverse the polarity.

What is the weight limit for the AMP steps? I believe the Mopar are 600lbs per step.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running the Amps and love them. Can't give you an opinion on the Mopar boards because I've never used them. I do like the idea and functionality of having the Mopar boards integrated into the Uconnect system, but realistically speaking, I'm not sure how much value that would actually add. I'm really impressed with the build quality on the Amps, and I know the Mopar boards are equally comparable (if not better).

As Eighty mentioned, the Amps do require a bit more work than just plugging in the harness to the OBD port. My install went very smoothly and it wasn't necessarily difficult, but I'd suggest reviewing the installation instructions prior just to get a better idea of the install if you're hesitant on the wiring aspect. Now with that in mind, it may be worth the additional price in your case to go the Mopar route for peace of mind. Mopar steps installed by an authorized dealer should be guaranteed for some time, and give you many years of worry free use.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I'm running the Amps and love them. Can't give you an opinion on the Mopar boards because I've never used them. I do like the idea and functionality of having the Mopar boards integrated into the Uconnect system, but realistically speaking, I'm not sure how much value that would actually add. I'm really impressed with the build quality on the Amps, and I know the Mopar boards are equally comparable (if not better).

As Eighty mentioned, the Amps do require a bit more work than just plugging in the harness to the OBD port. My install went very smoothly and it wasn't necessarily difficult, but I'd suggest reviewing the installation instructions prior just to get a better idea of the install if you're hesitant on the wiring aspect. Now with that in mind, it may be worth the additional price in your case to go the Mopar route for peace of mind. Mopar steps installed by an authorized dealer should be guaranteed for some time, and give you many years of worry free use.
Thank you. I am leaning toward the Mopar steps. My local dealer has them in stock and could install by the end of the week. It just seems that there are more RAM owners going with the AMP steps (when not installed prior to purchasing the truck). Hopefully someone who added the Mopar steps chimes in.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is the weight limit for the AMP steps? I believe the Mopar are 600lbs per step.
I don't know the capacity of the Amp steps. I know it's more than I'll ever need. It doesn't even flex when I stand on it.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was torn between the two back in March. My buddy has AMP. His truck is a Tradesmen and

the AMP LED's work good for him. I didn't care for the purple lights and with my LED mirror lights didn't need them.

I shopped around, found a dealer that installed my Mopar steps for $1700. The cheapest AMP install was $2200. I could have done it myself, but just didn't want to. Have a project truck I'm trying to get back on the road by next summer.

Attachments

• 20221026_220156.jpg
    20221026_220156.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 119

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. I am leaning toward the Mopar steps. My local dealer has them in stock and could install by the end of the week. It just seems that there are more RAM owners going with the AMP steps (when not installed prior to purchasing the truck). Hopefully someone who added the Mopar steps chimes in.
If you were planning on installing the amps yourself if you get them, then the mopars would be a cakewalk to do yourself. So, since you have AlfaOBD already, there’s no reason to have the dealer do anything.
Routing the wiring is basically the same between amps and mopar, so that’s a wash. The main advantage of installing the mopars is they are already fully assembled, so you just bolt them on.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
If you were planning on installing the amps yourself if you get them, then the mopars would be a cakewalk to do yourself. So, since you have AlfaOBD already, there’s no reason to have the dealer do anything.
Routing the wiring is basically the same between amps and mopar, so that’s a wash. The main advantage of installing the mopars is they are already fully assembled, so you just bolt them on.
Thank You Jimmy, I am glad you responded. I just went and watched an installation video for the Mopar steps, and I think I can handle that just fine. I was expecting it to be more complicated to wire it up. Looks pretty straight forward and looks like the Mopar are close to the same cost as the AMP steps once I add taxes and shipping. I appreciate the help!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, Amp is running a special right now - $150 rebate for any steps purchased between 11/1 and 12/31. That's on top of any deals you find from the marketplace.

magnetized

Reaction score
I've had both, used AMPs I installed myself on my old Silverado and currently have the Mopar boards, which I also installed myself. I prefer the design and robustness of the Mopar boards to the AMPs. The Mopar boards were a little more involved to install, but not much. AMPs actually needed more tweaking to get to work correctly as they didn't have the bar running between the front and rear arms that prevents misalignment. They would also routinely come out of alignment and sag requiring retorquing. Could've just been because they were used; think they were driven over a lot of gravel roads and were beat up.

Triton63

Reaction score
My dad and a Buddy of mine both have factory mopar steps, I have the amp steps. none of them have had any issues, 2 years on the amps and 1 year on each set of mopars. Side by side the amps open significantly faster. Dad did half fall out of his truck once in a really big hurry because the step wasn’t all the way down yet Lol. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the amp steps again. Dad and my buddy say the same about their mopar steps.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It just seems that there are more RAM owners going with the AMP steps (when not installed prior to purchasing the truck). Hopefully someone who added the Mopar steps chimes in.
Because most of us that are going to get power steps, get them installed from the factory :)
The amp steps do nothing for me that the Mopar one don't on my Limited.

brian.brabeau

Reaction score
I wanted to get the mopar steps for my 22 Laramie, but 2 different dealers argued and said they were not available for my truck?? I had the amp steps installed a couple weeks ago and have zero complaints.

CatServant

Reaction score
I had the AMP running boards installed on my 2022 Lone Star two days ago. My one passenger thus far was definitely appreciative. I’m completely satisfied.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wanted to get the mopar steps for my 22 Laramie, but 2 different dealers argued and said they were not available for my truck?? I had the amp steps installed a couple weeks ago and have zero complaints.
You will soon learn that most dealers are stupid. Doesn't matter what manufacturer or brand you choose.

Rob Ram

Reaction score
I just installed the Mopar power running boards on my 2022 Big Horn 1500. Paid $1440 for the boards (had a coupon for $200 off) and $180 for dealer to program. The running boards worked after I installed them and restarted the vehicle, however, they did not show up on the Uconnect screen (so you could not turn them off). The wiring is pretty simple, just follow the instructions. Dealer wanted $900 to install the running boards.

You can download the installation instructions here:

Installation tips:
1. Steps 8, 9, and 10 require removing plastic retainers. A couple of the my plastic push pins broke and many of the ones I removed were damaged. You might want to purchase new ones from Amazon (Mopar cost is $6 for one). Part number is 6506293AA.

2. Step 17 has plastic fasteners to remove under the hood. You need to pull the inner pin up, then pinch the button to remove these without breaking them. If you break them, you can order from Amazon (Mopar cost is $10 for one). Part number 6508863AA

3. Step 31 - It was difficult to route the wire through the top fire wall. I used a wire fish. Be careful not to damage the connectors.

I am happy with mine so far and like the ability to turn them off.

HRCfan1

Reaction score
I was under the impression the Mopar ones were made by AMP. Learn something new every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread