5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar or AMP Research? Which would you get?

HJohnSIII

Reaction score
I just installed the Mopar power running boards on my 2022 Big Horn 1500. Paid $1440 for the boards (had a coupon for $200 off) and $180 for dealer to program. The running boards worked after I installed them and restarted the vehicle, however, they did not show up on the Uconnect screen (so you could not turn them off). The wiring is pretty simple, just follow the instructions. Dealer wanted $900 to install the running boards.

You can download the installation instructions here:

Installation tips:
1. Steps 8, 9, and 10 require removing plastic retainers. A couple of the my plastic push pins broke and many of the ones I removed were damaged. You might want to purchase new ones from Amazon (Mopar cost is $6 for one). Part number is 6506293AA.

2. Step 17 has plastic fasteners to remove under the hood. You need to pull the inner pin up, then pinch the button to remove these without breaking them. If you break them, you can order from Amazon (Mopar cost is $10 for one). Part number 6508863AA

3. Step 31 - It was difficult to route the wire through the top fire wall. I used a wire fish. Be careful not to damage the connectors.

I am happy with mine so far and like the ability to turn them off.
Hey Rob Ram. Thanks for your info on the power running boards install. I installed mine (Mopar) and they are great. I went to the dealership for them to program the sales code into my VIN but was told it doesn't work. I felt the service guy was lying to me. How did you get your dealership to program the steps into vehicle so it shows up on Uconnect? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey Rob Ram. Thanks for your info on the power running boards install. I installed mine (Mopar) and they are great. I went to the dealership for them to program the sales code into my VIN but was told it doesn't work. I felt the service guy was lying to me. How did you get your dealership to program the steps into vehicle so it shows up on Uconnect? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Service guy was lying. Either doesn't know, or didn't want to do the work.

You might be able to do it yourself with Alfaobd, or go to a different dealership.
Screenshot_20221206-091815522 (1).jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try another dealer. As a last resort, I'll go down the route of AlfaOBD.
Sales code MR7 should be available to add to any DT ram.
Or, you can do it yourself for about $60 with Jscan, and you’ll have a powerful diagnostic tool.

HJohnSIII

Reaction score
Sales code MR7 should be available to add to any DT ram.
Or, you can do it yourself for about $60 with Jscan, and you’ll have a powerful diagnostic tool.
Thanks Jimmy07 for info. I'm somewhat tech savvy so I'm open to doing this myself. Is it a simple matter of an OBD adapter, JScan and a security module bypass (2020 Ram 1500 DT) then programming it?

Rob Ram

Reaction score
HJohnSIII,

I brought the installation instructions to the dealer and highlighted the section in the beginning and the section at the end. Asked them to perform those steps.

I would have used the Jscan app that Jimmy7 recommended had I known about it! Could have saved money and have the tool for later use.

Let us know if it worked for you.

HJohnSIII

Reaction score
Purchased items that Jimmy7 suggested to include the JScan app. Followed menus and this worked perfectly. Only extra thing is it took my vehicle an overnight for the update to happen in my radio. Appreciate all the help and info Jimmy7. Spent $70. The dealer was set to charge me $195 plus tax. Saved me over $150 plus a have a modification app/tool for the future. Looking into other mods I can make for a 2020 1500 DT. Thanks all!

lapoolboy

Reaction score
My Mopar steps make a weird growling noise when deploying/retracting and I find myself having to wait a second or two before they are fully down so I can step on them. It's a little annoying....maybe they need lubricating?

I had Amps on my past two trucks and when you opened the door...BAM!....those suckers were down and ready!

HJohnSIII

Reaction score
Never lubricated mine. They do make a noise when deploying/retracting but it doesn't bother me. It's slight at best and at this point I don't even notice it unless I'm listening for it. Regarding the time, they deploy right on time. Maybe if I had to swing the door open instantly it would be a tenth of a second late but again not a bother for me.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running the Amps and love them. Can't give you an opinion on the Mopar boards because I've never used them. I do like the idea and functionality of having the Mopar boards integrated into the Uconnect system, but realistically speaking, I'm not sure how much value that would actually add. I'm really impressed with the build quality on the Amps, and I know the Mopar boards are equally comparable (if not better).

As Eighty mentioned, the Amps do require a bit more work than just plugging in the harness to the OBD port. My install went very smoothly and it wasn't necessarily difficult, but I'd suggest reviewing the installation instructions prior just to get a better idea of the install if you're hesitant on the wiring aspect. Now with that in mind, it may be worth the additional price in your case to go the Mopar route for peace of mind. Mopar steps installed by an authorized dealer should be guaranteed for some time, and give you many years of worry free use.

Same here. See sig.

I LOVE my Amp Research retractable running boards, lights, and override switch. But, yeah, it takes a little bit to get them in. Nothing too hard, but that depends on your personal level of ability/commitment. What you think is easy, I may consider beyond my abilities.

Either one would be a good choice.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or if you buy the Smart Series, you can control them via your phone (I didn't want to install an unsightly switch in my dash). Only real downside is that there's a 30-minute limit to the override (not sure why it's set up that way).
For what it's worth, apparently not a lot of people know this (I just taught it to my wife last night): If you want the board to stay down when you park, just keep a foot on it when you close the door. You'll feel it try to retract, then sense the weight, and it stops.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth, apparently not a lot of people know this (I just taught it to my wife last night): If you want the board to stay down when you park, just keep a foot on it when you close the door. You'll feel it try to retract, then sense the weight, and it stops.
I was shocked at how many people didn't know this. I've had several message me on IG about how much of a hassle it was to clean the AMP steps. They were leaving the door cracked and then hitting them with their soap and water during their car wash. I told them this and it blew their mind lol.

On the other hand, the Smart Series steps you mentioned above I had no clue about. Not sure that I would see myself using it much, but it definitely adds a cool factor to them.

Last edited:

CatServant

Reaction score
I didn’t know, but it makes sense. Kinda like the auto windows stopping when they sense something blocking operation while going up.

TFresh85

Reaction score
I just installed the Mopar power running boards on my 2022 Big Horn 1500. Paid $1440 for the boards (had a coupon for $200 off) and $180 for dealer to program. The running boards worked after I installed them and restarted the vehicle, however, they did not show up on the Uconnect screen (so you could not turn them off). The wiring is pretty simple, just follow the instructions. Dealer wanted $900 to install the running boards.

You can download the installation instructions here:

Installation tips:
1. Steps 8, 9, and 10 require removing plastic retainers. A couple of the my plastic push pins broke and many of the ones I removed were damaged. You might want to purchase new ones from Amazon (Mopar cost is $6 for one). Part number is 6506293AA.

2. Step 17 has plastic fasteners to remove under the hood. You need to pull the inner pin up, then pinch the button to remove these without breaking them. If you break them, you can order from Amazon (Mopar cost is $10 for one). Part number 6508863AA

3. Step 31 - It was difficult to route the wire through the top fire wall. I used a wire fish. Be careful not to damage the connectors.

I am happy with mine so far and like the ability to turn them off.
How wide is the step itself? 7"?

CatServant

Reaction score
For those of you who installed the AMP running boards and the bypass switch, where did you mount the switch? I’m having trouble finding a location with enough open space behind it and where the panel plastic isn’t too thick. So far, the only possibility I’ve found is next to the engine start button.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you who installed the AMP running boards and the bypass switch, where did you mount the switch? I’m having trouble finding a location with enough open space behind it and where the panel plastic isn’t too thick. So far, the only possibility I’ve found is next to the engine start button.

Somewhere I posted pictures of where I did it and how I did it. I used the panel on the left, near the light controls. Hmmm. Not sure where I posted my thread...

Users who are viewing this thread