5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar or AMP Research? Which would you get?

CatServant

Reaction score
Somewhere I posted pictures of where I did it and how I did it. I used the panel on the left, near the light controls. Hmmm. Not sure where I posted my thread...

Thanks for the clue. I got it installed.

dc671ee50086d7155ecfbd8f91623fd9.jpg

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nicely done. I currently have an on/off switch there that powers my light bar, but I’m thinking about upgrading to an 8 gang switch panel. Wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with the void from the button I have there currently, but I think I might get one of these override switches and do the same.

C952EED2-51CD-468D-9CE7-0A64F8B75379.jpeg

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I have the AMP steps and am wondering if there's a way to wire it up so it can be recognized by the truck? I have AlfaOBD to activate the automatic step features. I'm looking for write-ups now, but if anyone has one to share it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tommy

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I have the AMP steps and am wondering if there's a way to wire it up so it can be recognized by the truck? I have AlfaOBD to activate the automatic step features. I'm looking for write-ups now, but if anyone has one to share it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tommy
I don’t have an answer for you on that. Just a question…what are you trying to achieve with the truck recognizing the steps?

Tommy R

Reaction score
I don’t have an answer for you on that. Just a question…what are you trying to achieve with the truck recognizing the steps?
Fair question! Well, I already have the steps and AlfaOBD and it'd be nice to have the infotainment system's functionality to turn the steps on/off and to extend/retract them on command. I could always unplug the connector, but would prefer the OEM style functionality for when I'm offroading or washing the truck. Obviously, it's not a huge benefit, but rather a nice-to-have feature. :) It would also be nice not to have something plugged into my OBD port all the time, but that's just aesthetic.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fair question! Well, I already have the steps and AlfaOBD and it'd be nice to have the infotainment system's functionality to turn the steps on/off and to extend/retract them on command. I could always unplug the connector, but would prefer the OEM style functionality for when I'm offroading or washing the truck. Obviously, it's not a huge benefit, but rather a nice-to-have feature. :) It would also be nice not to have something plugged into my OBD port all the time, but that's just aesthetic.

Couple of suggestions if I might. I don’t believe you are going to get the truck to integrate the steps with the uConnect system. At least not with only a simple configuration change that is.

I 100% recommend the amp override switch like pictured above. It’s cheap, quick and easy to install, and the 3 way toggle switch will give you the exact function you described (minus touchscreen integration). I get the cool factor of having it integrated with you radio, but honestly the toggle switch is very convenient and is almost passable as an OEM switch in my opinion. I use my override switch way more than I thought I would, and it is well worth the price if you want the added functionality.

For the OBD portion you mentioned, I’d recommend grabbing an OBD splitter. I have a cheap splitter from Amazon. My steps are plugged into the splitter and zip tied neatly up under the dash out of sight, leaving access to your main port.

IMG_6061.jpeg

Reactions: c3k

Tommy R

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, that may be the best option it would appear...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a link to thread with pix of my install.

I -love- the manual three-way switch. I placed it near the foot pedal adjustment rocker. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread