5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar OEM Hard Folding Tonneau Cover w/ Pictures

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a lot of rain this morning...

View attachment 16467 View attachment 16468 View attachment 16469 View attachment 16470

This happened while parked... not thrilled, but I guess 100% rainproof with a trifold is hard to expect. After my trip I’ll try to make some adjustments. I can see some daylight from underneath by the cab end passenger corner. A lot got in by the tailgate too. Time to experiment!

Anyone else experiencing this? I’m hoping the bumpy 4 hour drive just jostled the cover around a bit allowing so much rain to get in at the corners while parked.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing this? I’m hoping the bumpy 4 hour drive just jostled the cover around a bit allowing so much rain to get in at the corners while parked.

Not sure if some of the rain is coming in thru the open stake pocket holes. But this fellow sells really nice flush caps to close the holes up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stake-Pock...135098?hash=item2604abf37a:g:WM8AAOSwao1bCZy5

I ordered two and they fit nice and snug and flush. But my Extang Solid Fold 2.0 completely covers the stake pocket holes anyway. But I’m glad I installed them. Gives the bed rails a cleaner look.

Here’s a pic of the Extang Solid Fols 2.0 taken right after I had it installed.

Attachments

• DB230E7C-0EF9-4BA6-8B90-5E192349D912.jpeg
    DB230E7C-0EF9-4BA6-8B90-5E192349D912.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 136

Vespid

Reaction score
To the OP, that (the Mopar hard tri-fold) is actually a Bak F1, not an MX4. The MX4 is matte and aluminum, the F1 is a fiberglass composite with a glossier sheen. The F1 is the priciest hard tri-fold in the Bak line up, usually around 1k without a sale or special. Personally, I preferred the look of the MX4, but after some research learned it's a little more susceptible to scratches and dings than the F1, so I went with the F1 and have been very happy with it. Picked it up for $824 FFA on sale from Real Trucks.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if some of the rain is coming in thru the open stake pocket holes. But this fellow sells really nice flush caps to close the holes up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stake-Pock...135098?hash=item2604abf37a:g:WM8AAOSwao1bCZy5

I ordered two and they fit nice and snug and flush. But my Extang Solid Fold 2.0 completely covers the stake pocket holes anyway. But I’m glad I installed them. Gives the bed rails a cleaner look.

Excellent point. I’ll pick those up and see if it helps.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, that (the Mopar hard tri-fold) is actually a Bak F1, not an MX4. The MX4 is matte and aluminum, the F1 is a fiberglass composite with a glossier sheen. The F1 is the priciest hard tri-fold in the Bak line up, usually around 1k without a sale or special. Personally, I preferred the look of the MX4, but after some research learned it's a little more susceptible to scratches and dings than the F1, so I went with the F1 and have been very happy with it. Picked it up for $824 FFA on sale from Real Trucks.
Bad info there....

There was a letter from Chrysler that indicated the cover is a G2/MX4. G2 gloss panels on an MX4.

Vespid

Reaction score
Bad info there....

There was a letter from Chrysler that indicated the cover is a G2/MX4. G2 gloss panels on an MX4.
I stand corrected. Makes more sense with the price Ram is selling it for.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it also, the Mopar version of the MX4. It does retail for $900 as a Mopar part and usualy 15% coupons are available off for parts or accessories. Found that many larger dealers stock them. Mopar warranty and label.
Easy install, very secure, easy operation, looks great, is watertight, folds almost all the way forward and easy removal with two large plastic hand nuts for full bed.
Best part is that you can open and close tailgate without popping cover every time.
Does it have water lines?

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I bought those stake pocket covers you suggested. Thanks again for that link. I'm sure it will minimize the water getting in due to the tight fit.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought those stake pocket covers you suggested. Thanks again for that link. I'm sure it will minimize the water getting in due to the tight fit.

Glad to help out. Lot's of cool information from folks on this forum. All of the mods that I've done

Glad to help out. Lot's of cool information from folks on this forum. All of the mods that I've done have come from members' advice and/or experiences.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to help out. Lot's of cool information from folks on this forum. All of the mods that I've done

Glad to help out. Lot's of cool information from folks on this forum. All of the mods that I've done have come from members' advice and/or experiences.

Agreed. Before considering any new additions I search around on here, especially for the pics.

7B131A3C-E521-4090-B489-C8924EEEA295.jpeg 9CB1008D-A42E-4638-9C4A-B788647AF624.jpeg

brdima

Reaction score
I have the MX4 bakflip branded, and it leaks. It leaks in the front, which per Bakflip is normal because the seal isn't perfect, they recommend running a bead of RTV by the edges. Mine also leaks over the wheel wells, where the 2 prop rods are mounted. I had replacement rails with a 'fix' sent, but same leak issue. Per Bak, they are not supposed to leak over the wheel wells. Front and rear water is expected a little.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the MX4 bakflip branded, and it leaks. It leaks in the front, which per Bakflip is normal because the seal isn't perfect, they recommend running a bead of RTV by the edges. Mine also leaks over the wheel wells, where the 2 prop rods are mounted. I had replacement rails with a 'fix' sent, but same leak issue. Per Bak, they are not supposed to leak over the wheel wells. Front and rear water is expected a little.

Yes, thanks. I recall reading a post about the rails being drilled through causing leaks over the wheel wells (was it you?) Anyway, I now know to contact Bak for replacement rails and to add more weather stripping/gasket seals to the bulkhead area. Just haven’t got around to it.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those with Bakflip. Make sure the flange the side rails mounts to is straight and vertical. That is the key to eliminating side leaks. My current Ram had the worst (wavy and far from vertical) and I needed to do some straightening to get the side rails to lay properly so that the actual tonneau would seal against them. Truck sits outside 24/7 and and has been in some serious downpours. Just a couple of drips near the unsealed areas of the tailgate. The rear stake pockets are not even open to bed so no leaking from them.

I've had 4 Bakflips on Rams and F150's and none leaked.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those with Bakflip. Make sure the flange the side rails mounts to is straight and vertical. That is the key to eliminating side leaks. My current Ram had the worst (wavy and far from vertical) and I needed to do some straightening to get the side rails to lay properly so that the actual tonneau would seal against them. Truck sits outside 24/7 and and has been in some serious downpours. Just a couple of drips near the unsealed areas of the tailgate. The rear stake pockets are not even open to bed so no leaking from them.

I've had 4 Bakflips on Rams and F150's and none leaked.

Good advice, thanks.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 18485 View attachment 18486 View attachment 18487 View attachment 18488

I’m having similar issues with my Mopar hard tri fold (made by Bak). Don’t think there’s too many covers out there fully water tight. Rain gets in up by the cab, need more weatherstripping in the corners. Rain gets in by the tailgate (pics) because the water rolls off the end of the rails into the bed. Rails seem too short, although any longer and they’d impede closing of the gate. Also rain is dripping through the rails onto the wheel well, which must be a defect in manufacturing because there’s no other explanation (pics).

On a previous thread someone suggested contacting Bak to send new rails bc he had same issue and they said it shouldn’t do that over the wheel wells.

I will add some foam at some point as mentioned above (thanks for that) and more weather stripping by the bulkhead.

Posted this (see above) on another tonneau thread. Need to fix this problem.

JXL118

Reaction score
Installed mine today. Super easy install though i had to redo the weather stripping on the front bulkhead after i adjusted the cover to fit properly at the tailgate. There's very little overlap of the cover to the front rail so the weather strip has to be on the edge not on top

20190310_120308.jpg

20190310_121425~2.jpg

Tailgate seal
20190310_120640~2.jpg

Front
20190310_120657.jpg

Glass bumpers
20190310_121412.jpg

They could have cleaned up the burrs after machining the rails. I don't think it effects anything just didn't look clean. A quick file knocked then off.
20190310_102035.jpg

JXL118

Reaction score
Decided to check on just how much I needed to do to seal it up better.

Looking toward the cab. There's one spot on the right where weather stripping left a gap and a gap in the corners of the rails and bed.

20190310_132937~2.jpg

And the tailgates definitely gonna need some work along with something to plug the open drain holes

20190310_133017.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread