5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Cold Air Intake 5.7L

NRitland2

Reaction score
Nope. Definitely increases MPG's. At least within a specific range. I can go about 10 MPH faster and get the same milage. Around 40 and below it makes very little difference but in the 45 - 70 range it's very noticeable.

I've been watching my MPG's like a hawk. Actually I always do lol. Drive the same routes multiple times a month. On mostly- highway stretches where I was averaging around 16.5 MPGs before I get close to 18 now. Doesn't help in the city, so my overall average hasn't changed all that much.

And it really depends on what you mean by "performance". I can tell you my pedal response improved to the point where I didn't want or need my pedal commander anymore. It's not a drastic improvement but it's just enough to get it where it feels comfortable to me (whereas it felt sluggish before).

My shifts are smoother. There was a very slight lurch before when up-shifting. That's gone. It also holds most gears for longer, meaning I stay in lower gears for longer, which increased my mid-range acceleration.

You don't have to believe me. I didn't believe people when they raved about how much of a difference the Hellwig makes, but the driving feel improvements from this are just as real as they are from the bar. I bought the intake fully expecting to feel absolutely nothing based on what 80% of people here were saying. Looks and sound we good enough for me.

But the difference is absolutely noticeable.
Great write up and answer to the original point of this thread. If you don't have one installed or drive a new GT with it installed why bash it? Why do you spend the money you do on lifting your truck for highway use?

Lets spend more time helping instead of arguing why a member decided to spend hard earned money on a mod/part….

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed mine Saturday. Love the look! Added hp or torque, who knows. I do find it interesting that they added to the GT package along with a performance exhaust.

I have noticed the smoother shifts and pedal response. As for more cabin noise, I don’t notice that at all.

It was just something I wanted and as far as money goes, I would **** it away on something so why not this? Besides I got a pretty good deal on this one.

Bottom line, if you want to do, do it and don’t let the haters tell you that your wasting your money. If it makes you happy it’s not a waste of money. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 5F58716C-AE94-42BD-93F6-5E4EA43082A9.jpeg
    5F58716C-AE94-42BD-93F6-5E4EA43082A9.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 102

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mopar is nearly identical, just has the cover over it, and the OEM Ram-branded plastic piece in the front. So it looks better imo, but you'd probably see the same sort of improvements.
I like my Vararam better, as it gives a more old school Mopar look, PXL_20210523_154841338.jpg and depending on how you trim your factory radiator cover you can still keep the RAM.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lets spend more time helping instead of arguing why a member decided to spend hard earned money on a mod/part….

Giving a different perspective is help. I was looking at them when I first bought my truck. My buddy installed one, noticed no difference, I installed a used s&b and noticed no difference.

There is always that mind set that if you install a part, there will automatically be gains.

An Intake has no correlation to throttle response, especially since the Oem Ram intake isn’t restrictive , and since the throttle response lag is due to the relationship between the electronic throttle body and your pedal. It also has no correlation with transmission shifts.

As far as mpg and performance gains, they are negligible, and to recoup the money spent on this intake it would take closer to 250 tanks of fuel to break even, if saving on fuel money was your goal.

Like said, if you want the sound and looks of it great, just have some realistic expectations. Some one having a different view point than you Is not arguing, it’s having a discussion, which is what forums are for, otherwise the op wouldn’t have asked the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not the only person that's noticed the exact same differences. Being in the minority doesn't automatically make one wrong.

Trust me, I know if I was in a room full of people from this forum I'd get shouted down and basically told that I'm imagining things. Wouldn't be the first time. I've seen people say they've put on the Hellwig and felt no difference at all. I sure did though.

I agree with @ferraiolo1. I'm not arguing either. Just relaying my experience. OP can take it or leave it.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I like my Vararam better, as it gives a more old school Mopar look, View attachment 119163 and depending on how you trim your factory radiator cover you can still keep the RAM.
Nice intake. Strange: Vararam's website shows that this is available for 4th Gen only. They also don't show pricing. Do you mind if I ask what these go for?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice intake. Strange: Vararam's website shows that this is available for 4th Gen only. They also don't show pricing. Do you mind if I ask what these go for?
They are around $300-$320. They will work on 5th gens just fine. Moe's performance actually lists them for 5th gens. But I'd reach out to @Accessory.Parts for best pricing

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the 5th generation Mopar Cold Air intake (77072428AC?) If so is it noticeably louder and have you gained anything from it? I'm contemplating ordering one and installing it on my new RAM if it ever comes in. If you have one is it more of hassel to have an oil change? Any thoughts especially pictures are always appreciated.
My intake came today, so I took an hour and installed it. Very happy with the look. I started the engine after I finished and don't really notice any sound difference. Haven't had a chance to drive it but I'm not really expecting any difference in performance. Like I said earlier in this thread, my main reason for this was to free up space in the engine bay for a bigger power inverter. I went with this particular OTR style because I really like the look. And it nicely hides the ugly etorque generator/motor. As requested, here are a couple pics for you.

Attachments

• Ram air intake 1.jpg
    Ram air intake 1.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Ram air intake 2.jpg
    Ram air intake 2.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Ram air intake 3.jpg
    Ram air intake 3.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 131

Ram-583

Reaction score
My intake came today, so I took an hour and installed it. Very happy with the look. I started the engine after I finished and don't really notice any sound difference. Haven't had a chance to drive it but I'm not really expecting any difference in performance. Like I said earlier in this thread, my main reason for this was to free up space in the engine bay for a bigger power inverter. I went with this particular OTR style because I really like the look. And it nicely hides the ugly etorque generator/motor. As requested, here are a couple pics for you.
Thank you! It looks great on the truck...

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am still looking to buy at Mopar 77072428AC RamAir 💨if anyone is looking to part with one in the near future. I am located near Pittsburgh Pa. depending on price i might be willing to pay shipping but meet up preferred. email me here.
Thanks (y) 🛻

Users who are viewing this thread