5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Cold Air Intake 5.7L

Ram-583

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the 5th generation Mopar Cold Air intake (77072428AC?) If so is it noticeably louder and have you gained anything from it? I'm contemplating ordering one and installing it on my new RAM if it ever comes in. If you have one is it more of hassel to have an oil change? Any thoughts especially pictures are always appreciated.

Attachments

• CA Intake.png
    CA Intake.png
    508.1 KB · Views: 82

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of members here have that intake now. It's the same intake that you get with any of the 2022 GT models. Hopefully someone will post some pics for you. I have one on order but I haven't received it yet. I don't see it having much of an effect on oil changes. You probably just need to remove a cover to add oil. But I'll know for sure when mine gets here.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't make you any faster persay (maybe a little, not really noticeable), but it smooths out the shifts, increases pedal response, and bumps up your MPG's a good amount. Though I can't confirm if it can do that with stock exhaust. There's a reason the GT gives a better breathing Cat-Back along with this (I have a Magnaflow Street Series to go along with mine). Looks great, sounds great. Extremely happy with it.

20211228_150835.jpg 20211228_150845.jpg 20211228_150821.jpg 20211228_150827.jpg

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
a lot of money for no appreciable hp gain and some added noise.
You're being a bit judgemental. Maybe it's too much for you but it's obviously worth it for some. Not everyone is buying them new or from a dealership, so you really have no idea how much people are spending on these. You also don't know people's motivation for buying them. For instance, my reason for getting one is to free up the side of the engine bay that the stock air box normally sits in. And if doing that also adds some sexy Mopar bits then so be it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the 5th generation Mopar Cold Air intake (77072428AC?) If so is it noticeably louder and have you gained anything from it? I'm contemplating ordering one and installing it on my new RAM if it ever comes in. If you have one is it more of hassel to have an oil change? Any thoughts especially pictures are always appreciated.
I would be concerned about this
"THIS PART IS DESIGNED AND INTENDED SOLELY FOR USE IN COMPETITION VEHICLES DRIVEN ON TRACKS OR OFFROAD. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THIS PART SHOULD NOT BE DRIVEN ON PUBLIC ROADS OR HIGHWAYS."

but that is just me

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"THIS PART IS DESIGNED AND INTENDED SOLELY FOR USE IN COMPETITION VEHICLES DRIVEN ON TRACKS OR OFFROAD. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THIS PART SHOULD NOT BE DRIVEN ON PUBLIC ROADS OR HIGHWAYS."

but that is just me

It's on the GT models, from the factory, that's covered under warranty....so what is there to be concerned about.

billyraff

Reaction score

but that is just me

This is an EPA and government regulation that they have to list on all parts that modify any car engine, even ones like an air intake that are already there....

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

but that is just me

That's not the intake that's being discussed here. The intake in your link is completely different. This is the intake that the OP is asking about. The Ram air intake is an OTR style intake. Although it has the same warning you posted for the other intake, I'm not concerned about it since we have no emissions testing where I live.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s almost like, if these intakes actually improved performance and mpg, ram would put them on all their trucks and market the hell out of them, which would increase their overall cafe mpg ratings, and the mpg ratings on the gt packages would be higher.

Buttttt they don’t. It’s looks and sound, that gives warm and fuzzies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
That's not the intake that's being discussed here. The intake in your link is completely different. This is the intake that the OP is asking about. The Ram air intake is an OTR style intake. Although it has the same warning you posted for the other intake, I'm not concerned about it since we have no emissions testing where I live.
and yet it has almost the same statement
"Vehicles equipped with this part and driven on public roads may violate US, Canadian, or local motor vehicle emission laws and regulations."

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
and yet it has almost the same statement
"Vehicles equipped with this part and driven on public roads may violate US, Canadian, or local motor vehicle emission laws and regulations."
I said that in my post. Sorry, the link I provided is one that I just googled for while I was posting that, and is does not have the same part number as the intake I have on order. The part number of the one I bought is 77072428AB.
And does not contain that statement. This is the same intake that comes on the GT models. Do you seriously think they would equip a production vehicle with an intake that's not legal to use on public roads? Here's the same intake on the BAM website...

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s almost like, if these intakes actually improved performance and mpg, ram would put them on all their trucks and market the hell out of them, which would increase their overall cafe mpg ratings, and the mpg ratings on the gt packages would be higher.

Nope. Definitely increases MPG's. At least within a specific range. I can go about 10 MPH faster and get the same milage. Around 40 and below it makes very little difference but in the 45 - 70 range it's very noticeable.

I've been watching my MPG's like a hawk. Actually I always do lol. Drive the same routes multiple times a month. On mostly- highway stretches where I was averaging around 16.5 MPGs before I get close to 18 now. Doesn't help in the city, so my overall average hasn't changed all that much.

And it really depends on what you mean by "performance". I can tell you my pedal response improved to the point where I didn't want or need my pedal commander anymore. It's not a drastic improvement but it's just enough to get it where it feels comfortable to me (whereas it felt sluggish before).

My shifts are smoother. There was a very slight lurch before when up-shifting. That's gone. It also holds most gears for longer, meaning I stay in lower gears for longer, which increased my mid-range acceleration.

You don't have to believe me. I didn't believe people when they raved about how much of a difference the Hellwig makes, but the driving feel improvements from this are just as real as they are from the bar. I bought the intake fully expecting to feel absolutely nothing based on what 80% of people here were saying. Looks and sound we good enough for me.

But the difference is absolutely noticeable.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They balance performance with sound attenuation. All these aftermarket intakes cause the engine to sound louder inside the cab, which for most people is a negative. A lot of the baffling inside the stock intakes is all about reducing the sound of the engine inside the cab.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's funny is the sound that people talk about getting from this is barely there. It made my Magna a little bit louder and more…expansive-sounding, for lack of a better term. But it was less than I was expecting. Still good but not as noticeable as I thought it was going to be. Unless I'm flooring it. Then it's more noticeable. But I almost never do that of course…

Easiest way to tell about my MPG's is fill-ups. I reset my "Trip A" every time I fill up. Every time I fill up, I'm always at almost exactly 28 gallons on the pump. Before my intake, my Trip A would be at 475-485 miles. Now, my trip A is regularly 495-505. And like I said, same routes all the time. Sure there's some variance from other factors that are going to change from tank to tank but a consistent +20 or so miles of range on a tank is not nothing.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
The only thing that I noticed different was that the hesitation I had when shifting to drive the first time after a cold start is no more. Poof. Gone. Hallelujah.

Freed up a ton of room for future under hood mods. 2nd battery, air compressor or whatever else the **** I want.

No big deal for oil changes. Just pop the top off when adding oil.

Users who are viewing this thread