5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely let us know your thoughts on the Airflow intake / catback combo. :)

Hallbag

Reaction score
Definitely let us know your thoughts on the Airflow intake / catback combo. :)

what are your thoughts? My biggest concern is how loud it will be on a cold start given I leave for work at 4am. Given this is your second go at the mopar Catback (after the family complained first time), I assume not too bad?

PorBoy

Reaction score
I can honestly say when you start it ( cold ) it definitely wakes the neighborhood now. But it quiets down quickly and I smoothly exit the block lol. If you are in close proximity of your neighbors and their bedroom windows are near, you may have an issue. I love the sounds the two paired together bring. So in a nut shell would I do it again, absolutely. :)

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Haha, I am definitely sticking to stock exhaust then! I back into my driveway, and when parked, my truck is probably 10ft or less from the front of the house. When I remote start my truck in the morning, you can feel the exhaust rumble on the door handle to my front door. That initial bark at startup is sweet :D

Is there any way you can get a dyno pull for just the intake install, and then another dyno pull with the exhaust on?

-John

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered mine from the dealership. With 15% off coupon, total was $786.25. I couldn't find anywhere online to ship for free, so with the coupon, the dealer was actually my best price. It'll be available on 12/23 for pickup. I'm anxious to hear what it sounds like with my muffler delete. I'm hoping to really **** off the neighborhood :)

Hallbag

Reaction score
Dyno results (hopefully) coming to a theatre near you soon. Base line pulls tomorrow, intake plus exhaust install this weekend, post dyno results sometime after Christmas. I’ll try to do as full of a write-up as I can about before & after sound/dyno/mpg as my unscientific mind can produce.

Timeline was pushed a bit and got everything installed yesterday! So, as promised, I will try and make as unbiased a review as possible, and one way to do that is to post all the "before" stats now so there are no fudging with results later. Before I get into that, this thing sounds unreal. Still waiting to see if any neighbors DIDN'T wake up at 4am when I pulled out this morning, but on the road it is absolutely how it should sound from the factory. Now onto the review:

Cost

Mopar Ram Airflow Intake (77072428AB)
$770.39 (moparpartssurplus.com Athens Dodge/Ram)
No Tax
Free Shipping
$130 install Cost

$900.39 Total

Mopar Performance Cat-back Exhaust (77072520AA)
$1076.25 (moparpartssurplus.com Athens Dodge/Ram)
No Tax
Free Shipping
$130 install cost

$1206.25 Total

Sound

I will post the videos side by side later but here are the decibel readings (again done on an iphone XS using Decibel X software and not meant to be accurate as to actual DBs but merely show difference before and after)

Recording 12/16/19
Outside: 80.0 Max (55 degrees, 44% humidity, mic centered 5ft from exhaust at 4ft from ground)
Inside: 68.2 Max (0-50mp, medium acceleration, reached over a specific distance that I will replicate after install)

MPG

My commute is 40 miles round trip. The 20 miles in the morning are 5 miles on side streets, 15 miles on highway, zero traffic, 75 mph using ACC. The 20 miles in the afternoon are 10 miles highway, 10 miles side streets, moderate to heavy traffic (15-30mph highway, stop/start, better flow side streets but lots of lights). Then its all city-ish driving around town with moderate traffic at all times and stops/lights everywhere.

Tank 1: 12.3mpg (Hand) and 12.9mpg (Dash) after 31.2 gallons
Tank 2: 12.2mpg (Hand) and 13.0 (Dash) after 27.0 gallons
Tank 3: 13.9 (Hand) and 14.1 (Dash) after 22.3 gallons

This last tank was higher because I had two highway trips of ~80-100 miles round trip each but I included it 1) Because its fair 2) Because my truck crossed 2k miles so maybe this is not a one off but the engine breaking in? Anyways I wanted to lay it all on the table. I also only included the three most recent tanks to try and keep the sample size somewhat clean as it pertains to break-in, driving style, etc but I have been averaging around 13mpg on the dash since I purchased it.

DYNO!!!!

For those of you who are going to DYNO this truck, its not the easiest. The "manual" shift never wants to to stay in gear and the tech has to really work at getting a clean pull without it dropping down. My guys were good and worked at it but it may not always be clean. All of these numbers were done on a Dyno Pack and converted to Dynojet Standard.

Max HP: 350.75 @ 5692 RPM
Max Torque: 377.5 ft/lbs @ 3900 RPM
AFR: Stays at 15 until ~4000-4500 rpm then drops quickly to level out around 10.5. This is where maybe the intake can flatten this curve? Anyone more engine saavy than me want to confirm or deny?

I want the ECU to adapt to the new intake/exhaust and all the parts to break-in (save the you don't need to/do need to discussion please, its also Christmas so not in a rush to get back on DYNO) so will retest maybe in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• Baseline Dyno.pdf
    620.2 KB · Views: 152

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Timeline was pushed a bit and got everything installed yesterday! So, as promised, I will try and make as unbiased a review as possible, and one way to do that is to post all the "before" stats now so there are no fudging with results later. Before I get into that, this thing sounds unreal. Still waiting to see if any neighbors DIDN'T wake up at 4am when I pulled out this morning, but on the road it is absolutely how it should sound from the factory. Now onto the review:

Cost

Mopar Ram Airflow Intake (77072428AB)
$770.39 (moparpartssurplus.com Athens Dodge/Ram)
No Tax
Free Shipping
$130 install Cost

$900.39 Total

Mopar Performance Cat-back Exhaust (77072520AA)
$1076.25 (moparpartssurplus.com Athens Dodge/Ram)
No Tax
Free Shipping
$130 install cost

$1206.25 Total

Sound

I will post the videos side by side later but here are the decibel readings (again done on an iphone XS using Decibel X software and not meant to be accurate as to actual DBs but merely show difference before and after)

Recording 12/16/19
Outside: 80.0 Max (55 degrees, 44% humidity, mic centered 5ft from exhaust at 4ft from ground)
Inside: 68.2 Max (0-50mp, medium acceleration, reached over a specific distance that I will replicate after install)

MPG

My commute is 40 miles round trip. The 20 miles in the morning are 5 miles on side streets, 15 miles on highway, zero traffic, 75 mph using ACC. The 20 miles in the afternoon are 10 miles highway, 10 miles side streets, moderate to heavy traffic (15-30mph highway, stop/start, better flow side streets but lots of lights). Then its all city-ish driving around town with moderate traffic at all times and stops/lights everywhere.

Tank 1: 12.3mpg (Hand) and 12.9mpg (Dash) after 31.2 gallons
Tank 2: 12.2mpg (Hand) and 13.0 (Dash) after 27.0 gallons
Tank 3: 13.9 (Hand) and 14.1 (Dash) after 22.3 gallons

This last tank was higher because I had two highway trips of ~80-100 miles round trip each but I included it 1) Because its fair 2) Because my truck crossed 2k miles so maybe this is not a one off but the engine breaking in? Anyways I wanted to lay it all on the table. I also only included the three most recent tanks to try and keep the sample size somewhat clean as it pertains to break-in, driving style, etc but I have been averaging around 13mpg on the dash since I purchased it.

DYNO!!!!

For those of you who are going to DYNO this truck, its not the easiest. The "manual" shift never wants to to stay in gear and the tech has to really work at getting a clean pull without it dropping down. My guys were good and worked at it but it may not always be clean. All of these numbers were done on a Dyno Pack and converted to Dynojet Standard.

Max HP: 350.75 @ 5692 RPM
Max Torque: 377.5 ft/lbs @ 3900 RPM
AFR: Stays at 15 until ~4000-4500 rpm then drops quickly to level out around 10.5. This is where maybe the intake can flatten this curve? Anyone more engine saavy than me want to confirm or deny?

I want the ECU to adapt to the new intake/exhaust and all the parts to break-in (save the you don't need to/do need to discussion please, its also Christmas so not in a rush to get back on DYNO) so will retest maybe in a couple weeks.
Very thorough report. Thanks for documenting this.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for posting and welcome to the Mopar performance accessories family. This is what I’m rocking with them lol. CCA25FEB-9127-4C83-B8CE-DE0ADC029F86.jpeg

PorBoy

Reaction score
Lol I love the way mine sounds even though it’s not for everyone. Never purchased any of it with the thought of adding more power. Although I have to say my engine bay looks a wee bit naked now ha ha ha. ACB44662-5DDD-43CB-8328-8F5A970087B8.jpeg

Username1

Reaction score
So has anyone noticed an increase in fuel economy? Just according to the computer anyways?

PorBoy

Reaction score
I know it sounds sound but I don’t look at that with my truck. I fill up no matter what Mon/ Wed/ Friday and keep rolling. It’s not to say that I don’t care about fuel mileage, just that wasn’t a concern when purchasing my trucks. If someone has information confirming that having this on has increased mine, well that’s icing on the cake lol. :)

jwiley386

Reaction score
So has anyone noticed an increase in fuel economy? Just according to the computer anyways?

Opposite. I noticed a slight decrease after install, which I would expect as the engine is getting more air. Between my BORLA Exhaust, Mopar Lift, 35" on 22's and the CAI - I average around 11-12mpg.

Prior to CAI it was 12-13.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Opposite. I noticed a slight decrease after install, which I would expect as the engine is getting more air. Between my BORLA Exhaust, Mopar Lift, 35" on 22's and the CAI - I average around 11-12mpg.

Prior to CAI it was 12-13.

I don’t pay any attention to fuel economy either, I think the last time I seen that screen it was around 10 something. I didn’t buy the truck to worry about a few pennies in fuel costs, I bought it to enjoy it.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Thank you as if you’re worried that your full sized truck isn’t meeting your fuel goal, time to move on lol.
Apparently RAM engineers are concerned with fuel economy too: see active front air dam, grill shutters, 8 speed transmission, lighter/higher strength materials, aerodynamic design...

PorBoy

Reaction score
Lol I’m sure they are more concerned with meeting that “ bonus “ standard but I really could be wrong. :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Lol I’m sure they are more concerned with meeting that “ bonus “ standard but I really could be wrong. :)
Apparently RAM engineers are concerned with fuel economy too: see active front air dam, grill shutters, 8 speed transmission, lighter/higher strength materials, aerodynamic design...
Every bit helps, and I know that no matter what, I will still get 8-10 MPG city (stupid-short commute), and I’m fine with that. It is what it is.

I’m sure they will keep making improvements and eek out better and better MPG, but also know that it’s a truck and understand that it’s hard to overcome the laws of physics.

Users who are viewing this thread