5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moisture in headlight housings?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. I called the dealership and they said it was "normal" and it would go away. Why would this be normal? Aren't they sealed?
I never heard of moisture inside a sealed housing being normal. I call BS.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may just take my headlight issue to them at mile 35,000 so when they do replace them, they'll be fresh as new at 35k miles, and extend a new set of LED bulbs, not to mention crystal clear lenses.
Good idea.

RamRod41

Reaction score
I'd love a picture of the warranty work order showing they did it with all personal stuff blacked out so I can show my dealer that other dealers have honored this issue.....thatd be awesome

Will provide Pics of paper work tomorrow. Dealer called and I had them replay within two hours.

tfeth

Reaction score
Yup same issue going into the dealership tomorrow. Anyone have issues with taillights as well?

RamRod41

Reaction score
Awesome, because today when i dropped it off, the service advisors first inclination, i sensed, was to start down the line of "its normal."

I cannot stand when a service advisor tells me something i think is wrong with a car, "is normal."

Here ya go brother

Attachments

• 07F331CC-E52E-48A9-AFFE-3C9952B74E83.jpeg
    07F331CC-E52E-48A9-AFFE-3C9952B74E83.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 157

RamRod41

Reaction score
You guys make sure to stand your ground. These trucks are not cheap. Condensation is not “NORMAL”. When condensation is present, that means they were not sealed correctly and need to be replaced. These are $1600 headlights. If water gets to the LEDs they are ruined.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Noticed this on my truck yesterday. Certainly wasn’t happy about it. Will mention when I bring in for oil change although I suspect a challenge from the incompetent service advisors.

Tmains

Reaction score
I have a question why is that service bulletin dated for 2014?

Good question... this is all they can refer to when I continue to bring up the fact that even after 20 minutes I still have water. Now ram corporate will not do anything because they take the word of the dealership. Complete BS

Tmains

Reaction score
I'm starting to see this in mine too with less than 200 miles on it... :mad:

I did notice this thread with the response from RAM Cares:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/water-in-headlights.4570/#post-65709

FWIW, I'm going to get them involved before I even bother calling the dealer to get resolution.

That is what I did and the dealership got pissed at me. Still to this day they are not willing to do anything with the headlamps. All ram wants to give me is free oil changes haha. So stupid.

Tmains

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.... once you had headlights replaced, did the issue stop?

Dealership keeps telling me it will happen again and again.

I think I have pissed some people off because I am not letting my foot off their throat on this

Tmains

Reaction score
You guys make sure to stand your ground. These trucks are not cheap. Condensation is not “NORMAL”. When condensation is present, that means they were not sealed correctly and need to be replaced. These are $1600 headlights. If water gets to the LEDs they are ruined.

My point exactly to them

tfeth

Reaction score
Just went to the dealer to get my headlights replaced. They told me they’re not replacing them because it’s only condensation and it went away after having it in the shop for 45 minutes. Buddy of mine has the exact same truck bought his a month before me... no issues. They said they have never seen this before but told me to wait to see if it gets worse. Wait for what?? My wiring to get all f up? Frustrating!!! I might give Chrysler Canada a call. This is ridiculous.

Attachments

• 9BD5A73A-E355-4C3D-BAFC-CC1E47083FAA.jpeg
    9BD5A73A-E355-4C3D-BAFC-CC1E47083FAA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • D20B64C9-1249-4D8D-B09B-859BC88D2037.jpeg
    D20B64C9-1249-4D8D-B09B-859BC88D2037.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76

smiles5619

Reaction score
Have the same issue in Nova Scotia. They said there is a guideline on what is acceptable and what isn't. Mine had so much Condensation in inside, it was frozen over, affecting the light. It did go away the next morning. They are saying it's due to climate and it is normal. They suggested the LED lights are running too hot and there may need to be an update to the system from Dodge. Unfortunately I hit a deer with mine a few weeks ago so the headlights are being replaced regardless. They cost 1100 dollars each!

Attachments

• IMG_20181213_1930413.jpg
    IMG_20181213_1930413.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50

tfeth

Reaction score
Have the same issue in Nova Scotia. They said there is a guideline on what is acceptable and what isn't. Mine had so much Condensation in inside, it was frozen over, affecting the light. It did go away the next morning. They are saying it's due to climate and it is normal. They suggested the LED lights are running too hot and there may need to be an update to the system from Dodge. Unfortunately I hit a deer with mine a few weeks ago so the headlights are being replaced regardless. They cost 1100 dollars each!
Did the new headlights have moisture issues too?

CnyRver

Reaction score
I just picked up a ‘19 Big Horn a few weeks ago and noticed condensation in both headlights. It is outside daily. If I put it in the garage they almost dry up. Went to the dealer and within 10 minutes they said yup no problem and ordered 2 new headlights. Going back on the 28th for warranty replacement. Passenger side was back ordered or else it would of been down already.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that had the lights replaced... issue is gone?

Not all headlight housings are sealed. Some are in fact made with weep holes and are in fact made to breath. Breathing would be normal including a little bit of condensation... but there's clearly a problem here.

If the replacements have the same problem, this issue can be minimized, if not completely eliminated, by finding the weep hole and bonding an ePTFE membrane over it (Gortex for example).

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up a ‘19 Big Horn a few weeks ago and noticed condensation in both headlights. It is outside daily. If I put it in the garage they almost dry up. Went to the dealer and within 10 minutes they said yup no problem and ordered 2 new headlights. Going back on the 28th for warranty replacement. Passenger side was back ordered or else it would of been down already.
That's an example of a good dealership. It should be no questions asked. Good luck.

CnyRver

Reaction score
For those that had the lights replaced... issue is gone?

Not all headlight housings are sealed. Some are in fact made with weep holes and are in fact made to breath. Breathing would be normal including a little bit of condensation... but there's clearly a problem here.

If the replacements have the same problem, this issue can be minimized, if not completely eliminated, by finding the weep hole and bonding an ePTFE membrane over it (Gortex for example).

Hopefully the new headlights fix the issue. Haven’t heard anyone post after their replacement if the issue continued.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
My passenger side headlight had a fair amount of condensation currently frozen in it, similar to the pictures posted by others. My drivers side has absolutely no condensation. Parking the truck in my garage for the first time because it's so damn cold out. We'll see how quick it comes back

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online