5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modify Bump Stops with Level

clazer

Reaction score
After level, my lower control arm contacts the horns on the steering knuckle. Instead of going “full lock” the arm hits the horns on the knuckle and pushes the front of the truck down. Is anyone grinding these off or doing any other mods?
2bbda695aec9e1c611cb102052d858cf.jpg

353e829ee97259b5e5fdaa8ceb75bd51.jpg

02eea2c80cd0763652c9f1782272b7d1.jpg

clazer

Reaction score
All you did was a level? What did you use? Wouldn't think you'd be having issues with just a level :unsure:

It’s a Rebel with air with Daystar leveling spacers. 2” lift up front. If you take a look at the arms, the space between the horns isn’t very large.

R

Rob5589

It appears that those protrusions are a "soft stop" to prevent binding and/or over extension of the suspension at full droop while turning. I assume you are running the air suspension at top height and running the spacer? If so, have you tried lowering it some to see if it stops contacting? If not, definitely something to check.

clazer

Reaction score
So when you did the lift on the rebel did it add two inches to the front for a total of three inch lift + level? Plus air?

Factory air ride Rebel in normal mode: 38.5” front fender. After spacer and links: 40.5”. There are a few other folks on here with similar off-road suspensions that are leveled, curious if anyone has looked at their arms.

It appears that those protrusions are a "soft stop" to prevent binding and/or over extension of the suspension at full droop while turning. I assume you are running the air suspension at top height and running the spacer? If so, have you tried lowering it some to see if it stops contacting? If not, definitely something to check.

That makes sense on full droop. The current interference happens in normal mode, 2” higher than factory off-road group height. It makes the front of the truck droop at full lock due to the horn angle.

Eric326

Reaction score
Just curious, is everyone with a leveling kit (air suspension or standard coil) seeing the same metal contact/wear that is posted in the pictures above?

Eric326

Reaction score
If anyone has time, my biggest curiosity is whether the Mopar 2" lift kit is changing the front end geometry the same way as the above pictures in regards to the steering stop strike area. Could someone who has the Mopar lift installed take a picture of their steering stops? I would mainly like to know if the Mopar kit moves the strike zone towards the upper limit the same as the spacers do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to take a picture.

plimmy

Reaction score
I hope you figure it out. I’m following as I have the exact same setup looking to put the daystars and new links so I can fit 35’s clean and level.

Clayssport

Reaction score
If anyone has time, my biggest curiosity is whether the Mopar 2" lift kit is changing the front end geometry the same way as the above pictures in regards to the steering stop strike area. Could someone who has the Mopar lift installed take a picture of their steering stops? I would mainly like to know if the Mopar kit moves the strike zone towards the upper limit the same as the spacers do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to take a picture.
Mopar lift is no where near that. Those angles look nasty. I see alot of front end maintenance in your future.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I’ve got the same setup on my limited and have noticed the same thing. Damn thing is, I‘m pretty sure I noticed rubbing in those spots when I was installing the level, but can’t be sure this far out.

Just as soon as Mopar releases their own air suspension leveling kit, I’m on it.

rick_od

Reaction score
I dont think adding a spacer to the top of your coil (or air bag) would cause the geometry down there to change at all. Adding a spacer to the top of the coil isnt much different that a body lift, just done at a lower level so the frame goes up with the body.

Eric326

Reaction score
Mopar lift is no where near that. Those angles look nasty. I see alot of front end maintenance in your future.

If you're referring to the original post pictures, that's a Rebel (air suspension) leveled. Not a regular (non ORG or Rebel) with a level. So while I'd agree, and assume the Mopar lift is "no where near that" since it isn't meant for a Rebel or ORG from Mopar; it would be nice to see some pictures for perspective.

clazer

Reaction score
If you're referring to the original post pictures, that's a Rebel (air suspension) leveled. Not a regular (non ORG or Rebel) with a level. So while I'd agree, and assume the Mopar lift is "no where near that" since it isn't meant for a Rebel or ORG from Mopar; it would be nice to see some pictures for perspective.

Eric and Rick: correcto, this is a 2” (as measured at the fender) level on an air ride Rebel. For height purposes, it should be equivalent to a coil truck, since this happens in normal mode. Also should be equivalent to a non-rebel off-road group truck with a 3” level as far as I understand it. If the ORG/Rebel is a 1” lift, my truck should be about 1” higher than a non-off-road truck with the mopar 2” kit.
Also, a lift spacer that affects the spring length like this case does change the control arm geometry. It is not a body lift.

YngwieL

Reaction score
from what I've hear from a mechanic, that is supposed to hit.. if not people would just be able to turn the wheels so they are at a 90 degree angle.. I have a 06 that was happening with, and that's what I was told. nothing to worry about.. but, Its hard not to worry in all honesty

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
havent noticed it on my 5th gen yet, but my 4th gen big horn did this as well. i noticed it after i had already installed bilstein 5100's. never felt or heard a noise or anything when they'd hit. just observed it while i was underneath the truck. didnt have an issue otherwise

IowaRam

Reaction score
After significant amounts of reading a research, I just installed a combination of bilstein 5100s (clip 5- 1.7") and small 1.5" tophat spacer and UCAs to create a similar amount of lift to the RL 3.5" STT with hopes of a ride closer to stock than the RL 3.5". When pulling the truck off the lift I notice my front end dipping when turning on full lock both sides. After inspection, I am having the same problem as described above where the horns on my knuckle are contacting the lower control arms. I haven't read of others having this issue so just looking to see if anyone else has this problem or insights.

@clazer did you end up finding a solution?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After significant amounts of reading a research, I just installed a combination of bilstein 5100s (clip 5- 1.7") and small 1.5" tophat spacer and UCAs to create a similar amount of lift to the RL 3.5" STT with hopes of a ride closer to stock than the RL 3.5". When pulling the truck off the lift I notice my front end dipping when turning on full lock both sides. After inspection, I am having the same problem as described above where the horns on my knuckle are contacting the lower control arms. I haven't read of others having this issue so just looking to see if anyone else has this problem or insights.

@clazer did you end up finding a solution?

I noticed the same dipping the other day after installing 2” wheel spacers. I had installed 5100s a week or two earlier and can’t say I noticed it then, but it wasn’t until the wheel spacer install that I slowly moved the wheels from lock to lock to inspect for clearance. While my son slowly turned the wheel with me inspecting clearances, the front end would dip and raise a noticeable amount. I’ll jump under the truck to check for contact on these horns now.

FWIW, I’m a ORP with 2” front lift, so 3” higher than standard.

Confirmed I have the same contact on my truck. That definitely explains the dip I experience. Really wondering now what happens while turning at lock while driving... perhaps a u-turn, for example.

Last edited:

clazer

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, all! After that initial post 5 months ago, I’ve just been driving it. If I’m in an unusually tight turn situation, I’ll go that extra bit and dip the nose. I avoid it otherwise. You’ll learn the feel. As I suspected, everyone has this issue with this amount of lift... just nobody realizes it. If you want the dip to stop, need to grind the upper horn. That opens the question to “what happens when at full turn angle and then you go full droop?”. The factory suspension has those horns to slightly straighten your wheels under that condition.

Arroyorebel

Reaction score
After level, my lower control arm contacts the horns on the steering knuckle. Instead of going “full lock” the arm hits the horns on the knuckle and pushes the front of the truck down. Is anyone grinding these off or doing any other mods?
2bbda695aec9e1c611cb102052d858cf.jpg

353e829ee97259b5e5fdaa8ceb75bd51.jpg

02eea2c80cd0763652c9f1782272b7d1.jpg
My its doing the same thing and its stock did you took the teuck to the dealer

Users who are viewing this thread