5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid Travel Build

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A picture for reference of the sumos. If I don’t like the energy suspension ones I may just cut the bottom of the sumos making them 4 inch’s vs 5.

View attachment 171847
Sumo recommended to me in an email that I could trim these progressively, like a cone, to get a softer initial hit, and in your case, more travel. I used to be a gunsmith, shaping butt pads, I'm sure a belt sander would work great on this material.

Gotsboost

Reaction score
Well guys did some measurements last night. It’s going to be extremely close to maxing out the shocks. Just called the sumo spring guys to figure out the max compression. It’s 80% in case anyone was curious. Might put some bump stops on the shocks themselves to be safe.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well guys did some measurements last night. It’s going to be extremely close to maxing out the shocks. Just called the sumo spring guys to figure out the max compression. It’s 80% in case anyone was curious. Might put some bump stops on the shocks themselves to be safe.
bumpstops on the shocks themselves is a good idea.

The Carli kings came with some massive bumpstops lol

Gotsboost

Reaction score
bumpstops on the shocks themselves is a good idea.

The Carli kings came with some massive bumpstops lol

Yea I’m pretty sure they had the same idea with a longer shock which is why they can pull more travel out back. I’ll still have to do sway bar links and possibly a small 1 inch lift spacer to drive the axle down. However I believe I can get about 13 inch’s of travel once completed.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I’m pretty sure they had the same idea with a longer shock which is why they can pull more travel out back. I’ll still have to do sway bar links and possibly a small 1 inch lift spacer to drive the axle down. However I believe I can get about 13 inch’s of travel once completed.
thats a lot of travel!

Gotsboost

Reaction score
I love how it rains creating a mud hole on the way to put it in the shop. A little sneak peak of the first 5th gen long travel set up. At least the first I know of.

Gotsboost

Reaction score
So long story short the kind of fit. I need about an inch more or so for piece of mind on the up travel. I’m going to lower the mounting 1 inch in on the lower mount to achieve this. Wish me luck.

Gotsboost

Reaction score
And done. Dirty as always. Damn snow and dirt roads. Seems to work great. Feels refined out back. Going to ease into the jumps next week as this was very custom. One thing that sucks is I maybe gained a half inch of travel but these mounts open up more options for different shocks

IMG_1237.jpeg

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And done. Dirty as always. Damn snow and dirt roads. Seems to work great. Feels refined out back. Going to ease into the jumps next week as this was very custom. One thing that sucks is I maybe gained a half inch of travel but these mounts open up more options for different shocks

View attachment 175183
imma come dtop by your house lol

Gotsboost

Reaction score
Next piece of the puzzle. going to try and adjust these so they also mimic a limit strap.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpeg
    IMG_1239.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 28

Gotsboost

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity boss man but what are you doing about keeping that piece of ESW tube from folding up like a tortilla or ripping the the shock mount tab (closest to the frame) out?
You have to remember the shock body doesn’t really move only the shaft does. The control arms won’t hit it either

Brando14

Reaction score
Why exactly did you go away from the stem to eyelet conversion? Did it not work correctly or was it about travel length?

Gotsboost

Reaction score
Why exactly did you go away from the stem to eyelet conversion? Did it not work correctly or was it about travel length?
A number of reasons. Mainly that it allows for a number of different shock options. It only cost me about $200 for the conversion too.

Users who are viewing this thread