5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mechanical / technical question

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
What are the consequences of a tow truck pulling a RAM 1500 50ft with the wheels locked instead of neutral onto a flatbed ?

during a 90minute weather phenomenon there were 75 wrecks. Mine was one but I’m sure insurance will opt for a fix. Head on collision everyone’s ok

The wrecker crew was true amateur hour

AC0BD4C0-98E1-42A2-9E8B-9DC42DD34E42.jpeg B09166C2-7529-454C-8DA7-9E657314EAF7.jpeg D6561B89-92F8-4384-99F3-5D4BC90DD042.jpeg 8DEF6D5C-6087-4F8D-8F8D-24E3F8EE508F.jpeg 4A4C63BD-78E9-42F8-A460-0CC650CF617C.jpeg 77C727E8-7F5C-411A-B06C-6BEAF61C6FF8.jpeg AC0BD4C0-98E1-42A2-9E8B-9DC42DD34E42.jpeg B09166C2-7529-454C-8DA7-9E657314EAF7.jpeg D6561B89-92F8-4384-99F3-5D4BC90DD042.jpeg 8DEF6D5C-6087-4F8D-8F8D-24E3F8EE508F.jpeg 4A4C63BD-78E9-42F8-A460-0CC650CF617C.jpeg 77C727E8-7F5C-411A-B06C-6BEAF61C6FF8.jpeg

Grayman5752

Reaction score
Man really sorry to see this, glad everyone is ok. No real harm should have been done, especially with the snow/water acting as a sort of lubricant. Maybe just a little rubber off the tires but nothing that would be noticeable. The most force is applied to the parking pawl inside the transmission, but that thing is stout. Tow truck drivers pick up and drop cars all the time like that and I’ve never seen one get damaged because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Man really sorry to see this, glad everyone is ok. No real harm should have been done, especially with the snow/water acting as a sort of lubricant. Maybe just a little rubber off the tires but nothing that would be noticeable. The most force is applied to the parking pawl inside the transmission, but that thing is stout. Tow truck drivers pick up and drop cars all the time like that and I’ve never seen one get damaged because of it.

Thank you Grayman - it was really scary at the time. Whiteout conditions with high wind, heavy falling snow mixed with freezing rain

Reverse

Reaction score
The manual is very specific about towing 2WD and 4WD models. I would let insurance know that this happened. You don't want to be responsible for the cost should something have been damaged.

David525

Reaction score
A little off topic. Did your air bags deploy? If they did your insurance might total the vehicle.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
The manual is very specific about towing 2WD and 4WD models. I would let insurance know that this happened. You don't want to be responsible for the cost should something have been damaged.

True, but this wasn’t towed, it was dragged a very small distance onto a flatbed. Towing is across longer distances with the wheels and certain drivetrain components moving freely and requiring lubrication due to heat build up.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Air bags did not deploy in my vehicle but on the other vehicle. Speed was under 25mph. I won’t have an assessment until next week. I do have a state of the art repair center locally who have an excellent reputation

Here is the other vehicle - I jumped out of the passenger side of my vehicle and ran to hers. She was in shock and lost her sight for about five minutes. I explained to her that she was in shock and asked her if she had any medical or health related concerns we should tell the first responders. I had her talk to me about anything, so I asked her simple questions like her name, where she was from, how old she was and after a few minutes she relaxed and eventually walked on her own recognizance to the ambulance

I saw the impact prior to it occurring - I pushed myself back into my seat by standing on the brake and footwell and pushing against the steering wheel. I then yelled as loud as I could like you do on a roller coaster - my right lower leg swelled up and I had whiplash but so far so good - sleep is off but jittery for a few days post incident

I’m so so so so very glad everyone walked away.

it gave me pause about a few things - among them are owning an expensive vehicle that can be thrashed in an instant even if you are abiding the rules of the road - and that owning a large vehicle like our trucks are safer. I’ll never own a small car again

8AFAE97E-9062-40E5-BABE-6CB580DB0F59.jpeg

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tow hooks on the front of truck are mounted to the frame horns. Passenger side hook is all out of shape, which means frame horn on that side is more than likely bent. Depending on how badly bent, it may get totaled anyway. Although, I've seen insurance companies pay for complete frame replacements if the vehicle is new enough, and cost enough to offset not totaling it. Glad UR ok. You said you went out passenger side, was that because driver door was jammed?

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Hi Heli -

The truck ended up tapping the guardrail and I was unable to exit the drivers side. I kind of hope it’s totaled although the most reliable car I ever owned had a major accident at about the same miles as I have on this one.

Thank you for consolation. My guess is they will pay to fix it. I have two gap policies and excellent insurance coverage but you know how it goes, you have to advocate for yourself in every area of life

RiskReward

Reaction score
Glad everyone is ok. Keep us posted on the repairs. Glad you’re fully covered - if there’s no frame damage I’d want it repaired but @Heli-Pilot makes a good point.

Very well could be they say it’s repairable only to tear it down and have a massive supplement that totals it out. Could help to let the adjuster and shop know what you want (total vs. repair) if it’s on the bubble.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Again,

thank you all for the well wishes and kind remarks.

please be safe on out there

HHS

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all,

Air bags did not deploy in my vehicle but on the other vehicle. Speed was under 25mph. I won’t have an assessment until next week. I do have a state of the art repair center locally who have an excellent reputation

Here is the other vehicle - I jumped out of the passenger side of my vehicle and ran to hers. She was in shock and lost her sight for about five minutes. I explained to her that she was in shock and asked her if she had any medical or health related concerns we should tell the first responders. I had her talk to me about anything, so I asked her simple questions like her name, where she was from, how old she was and after a few minutes she relaxed and eventually walked on her own recognizance to the ambulance

I saw the impact prior to it occurring - I pushed myself back into my seat by standing on the brake and footwell and pushing against the steering wheel. I then yelled as loud as I could like you do on a roller coaster - my right lower leg swelled up and I had whiplash but so far so good - sleep is off but jittery for a few days post incident

I’m so so so so very glad everyone walked away.

it gave me pause about a few things - among them are owning an expensive vehicle that can be thrashed in an instant even if you are abiding the rules of the road - and that owning a large vehicle like our trucks are safer. I’ll never own a small car again

Hi HotHareSpey,

While I sincerely regret to hear of what happened, I'm very glad to know that everyone is okay. Please know that there are means in place for your insurance company to reach out to us if further clarification is needed after the findings of your repair facility's inspection. Our team is always just a PM away should you have any additional questions.

Mark
RamCares

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
HotHareSpey,

Glad everyone appears to be okay for the most part now. You may already know this stuff so take with a grain of salt. My background consist of HR Director, Safety Director dealing with my share of accidents/reports/workers comp--follow-up etc, and a few personal accidents myself to name a few.

Please make sure you go to the hospital and get checked out if you have not yet; regardless of how you think you feel right now. Take particular note to any odd feelings you are having that were not there prior to the accident/be it small or large on a scale of pain/suffering, mental/physical. Be careful what you sign at this point as you want to protect yourself. Whiplash issues can slowly appear as other small problems and grow. You may want to look it up as to the impact on the human body; especially as you noted what you did with the bracing of your feet/planted upon impact. Again, you should at least go visit your doctor and make note of your issues at this point. If nothing comes of it, great, if later down the road issues you have the beginning process of the doctor visit documented. CYA

Hope it works out for your vehicle too. It is always good to have at least a 2nd opinion on the vehicle issue(s) or even a third as backup. One may miss something another catches/documents and you get to see the consistent items along with other variables.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
HotHareSpey,

Glad everyone appears to be okay for the most part now. You may already know this stuff so take with a grain of salt. My background consist of HR Director, Safety Director dealing with my share of accidents/reports/workers comp--follow-up etc, and a few personal accidents myself to name a few.

Please make sure you go to the hospital and get checked out if you have not yet; regardless of how you think you feel right now. Take particular note to any odd feelings you are having that were not there prior to the accident/be it small or large on a scale of pain/suffering, mental/physical. Be careful what you sign at this point as you want to protect yourself. Whiplash issues can slowly appear as other small problems and grow. You may want to look it up as to the impact on the human body; especially as you noted what you did with the bracing of your feet/planted upon impact. Again, you should at least go visit your doctor and make note of your issues at this point. If nothing comes of it, great, if later down the road issues you have the beginning process of the doctor visit documented. CYA

Hope it works out for your vehicle too. It is always good to have at least a 2nd opinion on the vehicle issue(s) or even a third as backup. One may miss something another catches/documents and you get to see the consistent items along with other variables.

That is excellent advice and thank you

Users who are viewing this thread