5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS not working (I know, most of you don't like MDS)

Pwest

Reaction score
I recently Bought a 2020 Ram 1500 with the Hemi V8 Etorque. I have put on 2000 miles on the highway with practically no city driving, 500 just picking it up out of state, and my gas mileage is poor, 16-17.5 mpg. The MDS rarely activates and when it does I'm heading down a hill and it clicks off soon afterward.

Has anyone had issues with their Ram having poor efficiency? Why isn't my MDS kicking in?

Joshohol

Reaction score
I mean I have it disabled and get 14.2 and that's good. 17 is fine in real world.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mileage with these things really depends on where you drive, stop lights, speed limits etc.
They don't like stop and go and they don't like 70+.
When I moved back in December my mileage went down 1+ mpg as I went from 1 stop sign to a short drive through my neighborhood and 3 stop lights

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Pwest

Reaction score
Mileage with these things really depends on where you drive, stop lights, speed limits etc.
When I moved back in December my mileage went down 1+ mpg as I went from 1 stop sign to a short drive through my neighborhood and 3 stop lights

Like I said, it's all highway. All 75 mph.

Pwest

Reaction score
How does it have EPA rating of 22 mpg? Eco/MDS is designed to help highway gas mileage.

Joshohol

Reaction score
I mean the speed limits here are 55 and 65. 55mph trip for 2 hours of driving i got 21 without etorque and no mds

Joshohol

Reaction score
How does it have EPA rating of 22 mpg? Eco/MDS is designed to help highway gas mileage.
Because the speed limit is less than 65. Those ratings are at probably 65. The mds doesn't work under load.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took a trip out to ranch In west TX a few months back 75 plus speed limits—mpg 16.2. With a good amount of crawling/idling at ranch. I’m very happy with that

Pwest

Reaction score
Anyone have luck with tuners economy mode helping out? I drive a minimum of 40 miles one way, 6 days a week.

Joshohol

Reaction score
The economy modes usually just limit the throttle angle

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Right here. Note that it doesn't go above 60 Highway does not always mean freeway..

hwfetdds.gif

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was hoping someone would post the chart here too, I think the average of that test was like 45-50mph if I remember correctly

Bigga826

Reaction score
I recently Bought a 2020 Ram 1500 with the Hemi V8 Etorque. I have put on 2000 miles on the highway with practically no city driving, 500 just picking it up out of state, and my gas mileage is poor, 16-17.5 mpg. The MDS rarely activates and when it does I'm heading down a hill and it clicks off soon afterward.

Has anyone had issues with their Ram having poor efficiency? Why isn't my MDS kicking in?
60 MPH is the top speed it will work

My1stHemi

Reaction score

My truck loves stop and go, take offs from stoplights and fast speeds, but fuel mileage sure suffers :D

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
60 MPH is the top speed it will work

Once you're rolling past like 15 mph it will work at any speed provided it has the power to do so. Mine has been active much higher than 60 (back when I used it), especially if there is a tail wind.

Users who are viewing this thread