5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS not working (I know, most of you don't like MDS)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
60 MPH is the top speed it will work
With 3.92 gears on a flat highway and no wind, I've had MDS engage at 75 mph consistently. And I have one of the heaviest trucks here. I think it's a just sweet spot in the gearing / RPM range, to be honest.

MrBing

Reaction score
Because the speed limit is less than 65. Those ratings are at probably 65. The mds doesn't work under load.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
65 mph is the Chrylser recommended speed for MDS and attaining 20+ mpg

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite... how do you know if mds engages? I could never tell with my ‘18 or this one.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite... how do you know if mds engages? I could never tell with my ‘18 or this one.

Most people apparently don't notice. In my truck, I don't feel it kick in, but when it's on then minor pedal adjustments don't seem to take effect (you push down nothing happens) until suddenly MDS disengages and you feel a "fish bite" or tug and suddenly the engine comes back quite strong.

There is also a light that appears on the dash, if you enable it in uconnect.

And finally, some of us also hear it ticking away, exhaust note changes and in my truck it sounds like an exhaust leak. This leaky air sound is always there when accelerating, but is more noticable when MDS is active.

I'm not a fan of it, and it bothers me so much I would have to sell the truck if there was no way to deactivate it, so at least for now, Ram appears to be doing the right thing here.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Most people apparently don't notice. In my truck, I don't feel it kick in, but when it's on then minor pedal adjustments don't seem to take effect (you push down nothing happens) until suddenly MDS disengages and you feel a "fish bite" or tug and suddenly the engine comes back quite strong.

There is also a light that appears on the dash, if you enable it in uconnect.

And finally, some of us also hear it ticking away, exhaust note changes and in my truck it sounds like an exhaust leak. This leaky air sound is always there when accelerating, but is more noticable when MDS is active.

I'm not a fan of it, and it bothers me so much I would have to sell the truck if there was no way to deactivate it, so at least for now, Ram appears to be doing the right thing here.
I haven’t noticed a setting to toggle it off or to show a light. I found one that toggles an eco light on and thought maybe that was it?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t noticed a setting to toggle it off or to show a light. I found one that toggles an eco light on and thought maybe that was it?
I have the 12" screen and it is an option to select in there in the settings, not sure where it is with the other screen options

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Reaction score
How does it have EPA rating of 22 mpg? Eco/MDS is designed to help highway gas mileage.
That is best case scenario, 2 wheel drive with 3.21 gears. Perfect ambient conditions, level ground, and tires over inflated when the EPA isn't looking..... Also, the MDS is a gimmick meant to appease the EPA

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
With 3.92 gears on a flat highway and no wind, I've had MDS engage at 75 mph consistently. And I have one of the heaviest trucks here. I think it's a just sweet spot in the gearing / RPM range, to be honest.
Haven't checked mine lately, but it used to kick in up to 63 MPH or so with the 3.21.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
The eco light is not a direct indicator of MDS kicked in. I'm on my 6th RAM and have never...not even once, been able to tell when MDS is kicked in.

Or the OP: I just picked up a 2020 with etorque 2 weeks ago. Have put 1500 miles on it and the best I have seen is 16.5 on the hwy, 200 mile trip so far. I have never gotten the mileage guys post in upper teens and 20+ on any truck I have owned yet. But, this 2020 is likely the worst of the bunch so far based on this early use. Though I recognize it will go up a touch with use. I typically have averaged 14.5-15.5 on all my others with lift and 35s so I am a bit scared to see where I land once I lift this one. Oh well, I have never driven a truck expecting good mileage even though I put on 50k every 18 months.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The eco light is not a direct indicator of MDS kicked in. I'm on my 6th RAM and have never...not even once, been able to tell when MDS is kicked in.

Or the OP: I just picked up a 2020 with etorque 2 weeks ago. Have put 1500 miles on it and the best I have seen is 16.5 on the hwy, 200 mile trip so far. I have never gotten the mileage guys post in upper teens and 20+ on any truck I have owned yet. But, this 2020 is likely the worst of the bunch so far based on this early use. Though I recognize it will go up a touch with use. I typically have averaged 14.5-15.5 on all my others with lift and 35s so I am a bit scared to see where I land once I lift this one. Oh well, I have never driven a truck expecting good mileage even though I put on 50k every 18 months.
I believe that used to be the case, but in the 5th Gens, eco=MDS. Confirmed this when I swapped to the MF exhaust. 100% of the time, without fail, the exhaust note would change when eco light came on/off, signaling MDS. I have since gone back to stock because of this, and faintly hear it when it switches back and forth.

Cheers,

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
I believe that used to be the case, but in the 5th Gens, eco=MDS. Confirmed this when I swapped to the MF exhaust. 100% of the time, without fail, the exhaust note would change when eco light came on/off, signaling MDS. I have since gone back to stock because of this, and faintly hear it when it switches back and forth.

Cheers,
I don't agree...and no big deal. Reason being is that my eco light (on this 2020 and every other one Ihave owned including 2 5th gens) will have the eco light come on at very low speeds...say take off from a stop light but see the next is red so let off and coast at maybe 10 or 15 mph and the eco light comes on. The MDS is not engaging at those speeds. RAM describes the eco light as a notification to alert you when you are operating the truck in an economic manner. They do not say the eco light "indicates when MDS is engaged." Or at least...no where I have searched could I find that statement from them.

I honestly think people hear a note change due to less work being done by the motor and assume that is MDS. I mean, I hear a note change when pulling my boat or heavy loads on the hwy when I have a flat stretch where the truck can settle in for an extended period without needing to downshift or accelerate, but there is no way the MDS is kicked in.

Food for thought. Not trying to be argumentative or care much to debate. I have watched grown *** men start all kinds of name calling online over this subject. I surely don't care that much about it. I buy truck, make it my truck, and then drive truck. Don't care if MDS is or isn't on or off because it had never negatively affected me or caught my attention. And I am that guy that notices any little new squeak or clunk for the life of the truck.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently Bought a 2020 Ram 1500 with the Hemi V8 Etorque. I have put on 2000 miles on the highway with practically no city driving, 500 just picking it up out of state, and my gas mileage is poor, 16-17.5 mpg. The MDS rarely activates and when it does I'm heading down a hill and it clicks off soon afterward.

Has anyone had issues with their Ram having poor efficiency? Why isn't my MDS kicking in?
A lot of debate here, but little to answer your question; so I'll try. First, MDS will kick in more frequently once you get more miles on your truck. I started to see MDS kick in more often after about 6,000 miles. Gas mileage will also improve as the truck "breaks in". Second, the MDS "on/off" cycle is super sensitive to throttle input. If you are one who is a little heavy on the throttle; then expect that your MDS will not be active often. You must maintain a steady speed and a light foot; if you have a tendency to speed up and slow down a lot then MDS will be off more than on. If you wish to keep MDS engaged; then do slow and minimal adjustments to your gas pedal. Third, MDS is also sensitive to RPMs; so eventually you will get to a speed/RPM where MDS will not engage; for me, that is between 72 and 75 MPH (above 2,000 RPM) depending on the grade of the roads.
I have had my truck for about two years now and have programmed myself and my driving habits to keep MDS engaged. Aside from stopping a light or two; I can keep MDS engaged on my entire 15 mile ride to and from work averaging between 45 and 65 MPH.

To maximize your MPG you need:
1. Accelerate to speed swiftly rather than slowly getting up to speed.
2. Lightly feather the gas pedal to get to your desired holding speed.
3. Have your ECO light turned on and when ECO engages try to hold your pedal steady making only slow, light, and very gradual changes to the pedal to maintain your speed.
4. Drive under 75 MPH and/or 2,000 RPM.

Wind is also a factor that will affect MDS.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here's a technical description on how MDS works on the 5th gens for those who are curious.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 09 - Engine, 5.7L:Engine Block:LIFTER(S), Hydraulic, Roller:Description DESCRIPTION.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 53

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very rarely will you see MDS activate at highway speeds driving 65+. I get it on downhills, but as soon as it levels out and I need some push from the engine it'll kick off. Now, driving 60 mph on flat/gently rolling highway? In my Rebel I see 19 mpg with the MDS turning on often.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’m also an “MDS I don’t notice it/don’t care” person. I just drive it (the few times I get to). I’m positive the mrs. (whose truck it is) has been completely oblivious to any mileage/MDS/noise issues.
Most of the time the only things she says are either “I really like this truck” or “it needs gas”.

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't agree...and no big deal. Reason being is that my eco light (on this 2020 and every other one Ihave owned including 2 5th gens) will have the eco light come on at very low speeds...say take off from a stop light but see the next is red so let off and coast at maybe 10 or 15 mph and the eco light comes on. The MDS is not engaging at those speeds. RAM describes the eco light as a notification to alert you when you are operating the truck in an economic manner. They do not say the eco light "indicates when MDS is engaged." Or at least...no where I have searched could I find that statement from them.

I honestly think people hear a note change due to less work being done by the motor and assume that is MDS. I mean, I hear a note change when pulling my boat or heavy loads on the hwy when I have a flat stretch where the truck can settle in for an extended period without needing to downshift or accelerate, but there is no way the MDS is kicked in.

Food for thought. Not trying to be argumentative or care much to debate. I have watched grown *** men start all kinds of name calling online over this subject. I surely don't care that much about it. I buy truck, make it my truck, and then drive truck. Don't care if MDS is or isn't on or off because it had never negatively affected me or caught my attention. And I am that guy that notices any little new squeak or clunk for the life of the truck.

Nope, MDS = Eco light, 100% of the time in these 5th gens. My truck always surges lightly when it kicks off, even at really low 15mph speeds. Combined that "tug" with the eco light + exhaust note, doesn't matter at what speed, they all do the same thing at the same time. The exhaust note in MDS mode is unmistakable, it's not just "doing less work", that's a different sound.

Also note: when I disable MDS by using gear limiter, the exhaust note never changes like it does with MDS active, and the little light never shows up at any speed or throttle either. So they're 100% the same thing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Neurobit is right. What you state about low speed happens to me when I am nearly coasting at 15-25 mph and the engine is warm. MDS absolutely does engage under those conditions. Approaching my house, I make a 45-degree turn onto a street with a gradual rise. It's surprising how long the truck can stay in MDS if I happen to be in the right gear with just the right amount of throttle as I turn onto that street. Give it a little too much pedal or lug the truck just a bit too much, and "THWOP" — the truck kicks out of MDS, the ECO light shuts off, and the truck soldiers on up the gradual rise with 8 cylinders. There have been zero occurrences in 18+ months of ownership of the ECO light coming on out of sequence with MDS.

Just a quick note...that's a fantastic PDF shared above by @Neurobit. The conditions I described above fit the "shallow grade climbing conditions" described therein.

Reverse

Reaction score
we have both a 2014 and a 2020, comparable except for eTorque and active shutters on grille. 2020 sucks way more fuel than 2014 on same drive, difference is almost 2mpg (17 and 19). 2020 is also noisier in cabin, another thing that 5th gen was supposed to beat 4th gen in :rolleyes::rolleyes: And then finally the premium sound system: the middle of the pack system in the 2014 sounds better, 2020 system is boomy bass and nothing else.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
we have both a 2014 and a 2020, comparable except for eTorque and active shutters on grille. 2020 sucks way more fuel than 2014 on same drive, difference is almost 2mpg (17 and 19). 2020 is also noisier in cabin, another thing that 5th gen was supposed to beat 4th gen in :rolleyes::rolleyes: And then finally the premium sound system: the middle of the pack system in the 2014 sounds better, 2020 system is boomy bass and nothing else.
IDK about your 2020, but my 2019 is a tomb. It’s one of the quietest vehicles I’ve owned.

Users who are viewing this thread