5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIS) Error code P1524

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Here's two pictures - 10-48 Royal Purple Filter - Purple Silicon looks like its folded over itself...
The other filter was a new filter but not the one that I put in and look how nice that orange silicone is seated...
Thought that was interesting to share...

Those pictures got me to thinking. I worked in the oil industry for 40+ years and worked in engineering. We had to deal with elastomer chemical compatibility issues on a regular basis. The anti drainback valve is one piece but it has a larger o-ring part built in that seals around the outside of the center internal threaded hole. The rest of the integrated valve is basically like a flat circular flap (see attachment) that seals against the bottom of the filter housing preventing the housing from draining back when vehicle is not running. It is basically a check valve allowing oil flow in through the 6 or 7 small holes around the outside of the filter element with clean oil coming out the center.
I forgot that silicone is typically not a recommended elastomer for petroleum oil and gasoline (see attachment). The Purple oil and Amsoil filters both say they have silicone drainback valves. There are many mixed compounds, so you will get different compatibility ratings with from different manufacturers. But looking at the Purple Filter, the o-ring part looks swollen, this is just one of the things that can happen to an elastomer that's not compatible with some chemicals. Also over time and at elevated temperatures, the elastomer can get hard. So one theory could be that a swollen or hard drainback valve could be limiting oil into filter housing, thus also looking like a plugged filter element and seeing lower pressure downstream.
I'm sure the oil filter engineers must of looked at this, but maybe they overlooked oil contamination, like excess fuel, or acid build-up in oil. My guess is Nitrile is used in other filter drainback valves, this is very compatible with petroleum products. I doubt it's that simple, but who knows, I don't know if a manufacturer would even admit it if that was the problem.
See attachments for reference.

Attachments

• Elastomer-Compatibility-Chart.pdf
    283.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Amsoilg2235.pdf
    196.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Oil filter parts.jpeg
    Oil filter parts.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 6

Runagun

Reaction score
I just got my P1524 code today... I run Royal Purple 5w20 with Royal Purple Filter 10-48. I was thinking about switching over to 10w30 Royal Purple but not sure if its just the brand of oil I'm running causing the issue.

I have about 44,000 miles on the truck. Thought about switching over to Mopar Filter and Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 or 10w30. I do pull a RV Travel trailer around. I barely let the MDS engage. My psi used to run 31 at idle, but its dipping down as low as 24. Driving it was be 51 to 55 psi but today, couldn't get it past 33 psi while driving. Didn't observe anything clunking or out of norm. Oil change would be my first step with this. Question is to stay with existing brands or change. Seems like Mopar Filers are the winner for sure.
I don't think you said. But how many miles was on the oil when the code came on?

brewty

Reaction score
Help! My MIL came on a week or so ago, took it to the dealer, paid $461 for diagnostic and replacement of the oil pressure sensor. I know it’s only a $60 part and I should have done it myself but the part wasn’t available anywhere near by and they had it in stock. I picked my truck up and less than 200 miles later it came back on. Same code as before. I was watching the temps today as I drove home engine 209, trans 199, oil 215 PSI pretty steady 31-33 at 70+ mph. Seems low based on the other V8s I’ve had on my life. Thoughts? I’m calling the dealer in the morning but I feel they owe me $461…
55k miles. 2019 5.7 hemi.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That sux. Yea I’d be making a call too. They should warranty their repairs at least.

Runagun

Reaction score
Help! My MIL came on a week or so ago, took it to the dealer, paid $461 for diagnostic and replacement of the oil pressure sensor. I know it’s only a $60 part and I should have done it myself but the part wasn’t available anywhere near by and they had it in stock. I picked my truck up and less than 200 miles later it came back on. Same code as before. I was watching the temps today as I drove home engine 209, trans 199, oil 215 PSI pretty steady 31-33 at 70+ mph. Seems low based on the other V8s I’ve had on my life. Thoughts? I’m calling the dealer in the morning but I feel they owe me $461…
Would have been way cheaper just to do a oil change or replace the oil filter. How many miles on the oil? And what brand do you use?

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Did you read this whole thread? The problem has been the filter getting partially plugged when using certain high mileage oil filters. Amsoil was one mentioned (that's the one I had) and Royal purple. These are high mileage synthetic glass filters with low micron ratings. The filter canisters are a bit small compared to the previous generation filters, so they load up before the end of an oil change period. If you go back and read my posts, you will see I took mine to a dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong because the code wasn't showing when I took it in. All I did was change to a Wix filter, it has the same stated micron rating, but is a semi synthetic filter material. I've been running these filters probably for 2 oil changes and haven't had the P1524 code come back. You can change the filter without doing an oil change if you don't have a lot of miles on oil. Just remove the filter, you will get a little spill out, fill the new filter cannister, and I think I had to add less than a 1/2 quart after checking oil. Also if you look at one of my previous post, I have several oil analysis done that I attached, read the analyst comments. The insolubles never were high, but some of the metals where higher in the begining, and have been pretty much flushed out. Not sure if these are large enough to get caught in filter element, but might be with the synthetic. Anyway it has taken 20-30k miles to flush all of the breakin period metals.

brewty

Reaction score
Did you read this whole thread? The problem has been the filter getting partially plugged when using certain high mileage oil filters. Amsoil was one mentioned (that's the one I had) and Royal purple. These are high mileage synthetic glass filters with low micron ratings. The filter canisters are a bit small compared to the previous generation filters, so they load up before the end of an oil change period. If you go back and read my posts, you will see I took mine to a dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong because the code wasn't showing when I took it in. All I did was change to a Wix filter, it has the same stated micron rating, but is a semi synthetic filter material. I've been running these filters probably for 2 oil changes and haven't had the P1524 code come back. You can change the filter without doing an oil change if you don't have a lot of miles on oil. Just remove the filter, you will get a little spill out, fill the new filter cannister, and I think I had to add less than a 1/2 quart after checking oil. Also if you look at one of my previous post, I have several oil analysis done that I attached, read the analyst comments. The insolubles never were high, but some of the metals where higher in the begining, and have been pretty much flushed out. Not sure if these are large enough to get caught in filter element, but might be with the synthetic. Anyway it has taken 20-30k miles to flush all of the breakin period metals.
I read the whole thread and while I do t think my issue is 100% match here this was the most active thread on this error code. I amusing valvoline full synthetic with an STP s10060xl filter. The dash says the oil has 36% life left

banditsc

Reaction score
Get rid of the STP filter and put a Mopar or Wix filter in it and your problem will most likely be gone.

brewty

Reaction score
Took the truck back, they said they forgot to do a “hard clear” of the code. They cleared it, did a diagnostic and then said it was good to go. About 40 miles later the light was back on. I went home, swapped the filter for a wix and parked it for the night. Drove about 200 miles today and no light! Plus my oil PSI is about 20 higher than it was with the other filter. Thank you to everyone on this forum!

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response and keeping up with the forum, I ended up getting Covid and its kicked my hide since. Still got some complications from it, but todays a new day!

Once I got my code from my scan tool I erased it and changed the oil immediately. That bothered me when it happened, I don't remember getting over 25 psi no mater the RPM range while driving home. It was as if it went into complete bypass mode. So the next day, went to 5w30 and a larger Wix oil filter 57899. The larger filter fits better then that smaller stock filter. Haven't had an issue since - My mileage was at 43K when this occurred. I remember looking at the RP-1048 small filer and looking at the purple silicone sleeve in there and it was buckled back in my first pic. Second pic I had the defective 1048 next to the box of the 57899 and new 57060 Wix filter for comparison. Going to change oil again when I hit 45,000 and see if anything significant built up in filter or oil itself. Should be a week or so till that happens.

Since changing to the 57899 filter and running 5w30 - have a nicer oil pressure range - Then again I run around town in Tow/Haul mode a lot to avoid MDS, there's a reason I bought a truck with a v-8 and not a v-6 and like to hear my Flowmaster pur, sorry got off topic there, Squirl! anyhow at cold start up 55 psi - and normal running around I'm 53-58 depending how much fun I'm having with it, and idle is 35 to 38 depending how long I idle, might idle for 15 minutes at a time and that's when she will dip into mid 34 35 range.

More follow up to come when i knock out that next oil change at 45K.

IMG_20211227_191546_014.jpg IMG_20211227_191427_338.jpg

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response and keeping up with the forum, I ended up getting Covid and its kicked my hide since. Still got some complications from it, but todays a new day!

Once I got my code from my scan tool I erased it and changed the oil immediately. That bothered me when it happened, I don't remember getting over 25 psi no mater the RPM range while driving home. It was as if it went into complete bypass mode. So the next day, went to 5w30 and a larger Wix oil filter 57899. The larger filter fits better then that smaller stock filter. Haven't had an issue since - My mileage was at 43K when this occurred. I remember looking at the RP-1048 small filer and looking at the purple silicone sleeve in there and it was buckled back in my first pic. Second pic I had the defective 1048 next to the box of the 57899 and new 57060 Wix filter for comparison. Going to change oil again when I hit 45,000 and see if anything significant built up in filter or oil itself. Should be a week or so till that happens.

Since changing to the 57899 filter and running 5w30 - have a nicer oil pressure range - Then again I run around town in Tow/Haul mode a lot to avoid MDS, there's a reason I bought a truck with a v-8 and not a v-6 and like to hear my Flowmaster pur, sorry got off topic there, Squirl! anyhow at cold start up 55 psi - and normal running around I'm 53-58 depending how much fun I'm having with it, and idle is 35 to 38 depending how long I idle, might idle for 15 minutes at a time and that's when she will dip into mid 34 35 range.

More follow up to come when i knock out that next oil change at 45K.
If I'm reading this right and you're changing your oil with just 2000 miles on it, I really think you're not going to see anything. I did several oil changes looking at filter and having Blackstone do oil analysis, I didn't observe anything different looking from the partially plugged Amsoil filter to the K&N and Wix filters I looked at. If you're interested, go back to the previous page and read the oil reports attached. There are different comments on each one concerning the P1524 code. After reading the last guy (Brewty) to have problems, I saw that even though there are 3 different filter manufacturers between us, we all have extended mileage filters with synthetic elements. I just think that using filters with this high 99% efficiency with such a small filter canister (not enough surface area) is most of if not all of the problem. I actually follow the ECM % oil usage and don't try to get 12-20K miles like some oils and filters advertise you can go between oil changes, so the OEM Mopar or the Wix mid-grade semi synthetic oil filter work for me. Maybe the efficiency is only 95-98%, but there are a lot of people that don't want to pay for a top grade filter, and probably never notice any difference in how long the vehicle last. I think most engines these days can run 200K miles without any problems. I'd rather use synthetic oil without the extended service synthetic filters and just follow the recommended oil change intervals. My oil analysis supports my thinking.

Runagun

Reaction score
I know I'm brining back a old thread topic. But interesting enough Amsoil has back the oil filter for 5.7 hemi '22 models. I wonder if the change to 0w-20 has anything to do with it.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know I'm brining back a old thread topic. But interesting enough Amsoil has back the oil filter for 5.7 hemi '22 models. I wonder if the change to 0w-20 has anything to do with it.
Good catch. It's probably something that was either automatically done or whoever created the lookup doesn't know. I will send a inquiry about it.

edit: Did you also catch the 6.2 engine option in the drop down?

Users who are viewing this thread