5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
I’ve been searching the forum for some issues I’ve been having and have been able to find similar situations, primarily the driver side Ram box opening and the driver side tail light staying on. But tonight, with my 2.5 year old son with me, we had MAJOR safety issues IMO. Absolutely unacceptable.

I have a 2020 RAM Limited EcoDiesel with Ram box and multi function tailgate. While waiting in line at a fast food chain the UConnect screen became very dim. Then it went blank along with all the lights for the surrounding buttons, completely dark. The dash screen started to beep giving me two errors regarding the side steps not functioning and the side sensors not working. I then began to feel hit and realized the HEAT was ON FULL and I could not turn it off. I then tried to roll down the front windows and NOTHING!!! They would not roll down. My son is in the back yelling “HOT DADDY HOT” and so I tried the back windows. Thankfully those worked and rolled down. I then tried the sunroof and rear window, both worked.
With the UConnect screen flickering off and on, warning codes beeping on the dash, the distinct smell of an electrical burn, and full blast heat blowing into the cab I tried the front windows once more. The driver side rolled down but the passenger would not. At this point I turned the truck off and then back on hoping something would reset. And it didn’t.
I captured all of this on video. When I got home, as if things weren’t already bad enough, I open my door and take the normal step down I always do... No step, so I just about broke my ankle. I quickly go to the passenger side to get my son out of this oven and while doing so the passenger step actually extends hitting me in the shin. The lights that normally shine from under the side mirrors are off as well and I noticed them flickering.
If all this sounds like an exaggeration I promise you it’s not. I had called my dealership two weeks ago to set an appointment and they told me two weeks and then never returned my call.
@ram_cares this one will be coming your way. I’m so furious right now that my $70k truck with 11k miles is basically a non functioning oven. Couldn’t be more disappointed right now and candidly, I’m concerned about our safety. We were cooking. Had to have been 90 in the cab.
My video will not post from here so I’ll try to find a way to shorten it and attach after uploading.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mines been doing the same thing. I’ve been getting some random errors like stability control, and no bus displayed on the cluster. You seeing any of those ?

Techna

Reaction score
Not to make light of your situation, but this sounds like a bad (or good, depending on blood/alcohol content) movie adaptation of a Steven King book. Was Emilio Estevez sitting in the passenger seat? Because this kind of thing seems to follow that dude around.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m thinking bcm is whacky

Attachments

• 3B9B9702-6CEE-489B-B429-BDF90664AD9A.png
    3B9B9702-6CEE-489B-B429-BDF90664AD9A.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DF0728D1-4DEE-445D-9564-F21259084CBF.png
    DF0728D1-4DEE-445D-9564-F21259084CBF.png
    205 KB · Views: 99
  • 78A5FD6D-2C9D-4D71-81D3-575597413C73.png
    78A5FD6D-2C9D-4D71-81D3-575597413C73.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 21ED5404-DAF2-4C87-B621-37B8EF5451C9.png
    21ED5404-DAF2-4C87-B621-37B8EF5451C9.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 99

doolin64

Reaction score
You need a new dealer if they didn't get back to you with in two weeks for an appointment. I've never called for an appointment and didn't get a date before I hung up the phone.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m thinking bcm is whacky
This was my suspicion as well.

@Dave_Drums did you by chance have the front windshield tinted? There’s been quite a few people that have had issues after having the windshield tinted due to water from the tinting process getting behind the dash and affecting the bcm.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
mines been doing the same thing. I’ve been getting some random errors like stability control, and no bus displayed on the cluster. You seeing any of those ?
Yes, I saw both of those last night

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
This was my suspicion as well.

@Dave_Drums did you by chance have the front windshield tinted? There’s been quite a few people that have had issues after having the windshield tinted due to water from the tinting process getting behind the dash and affecting the bcm.

Just an eyebrow, not the entire windshield.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
You need a new dealer if they didn't get back to you with in two weeks for an appointment. I've never called for an appointment and didn't get a date before I hung up the phone.
I agree. Last time I called they said they were booked weeks out. That was for the Ram box and tail light. Today I made sure I font an appointment

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
Not to make light of your situation, but this sounds like a bad (or good, depending on blood/alcohol content) movie adaptation of a Steven King book. Was Emilio Estevez sitting in the passenger seat? Because this kind of thing seems to follow that dude around.
Haha, BAC of 0.00 but there could have been a Maximum Overdrive feel to it. The truck was showing my 2.5 year old how to throw a proper tantrum

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned, this could be a BCM issue. If you're up to it, check the ground for the BCM. Just an idea... Of course, I'd still advocate for having it brought in to the dealer to make sure your warranty gets updated with this issue. Get it written up so any future failure at least has a background.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LoL. I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing you should have probably stayed with the Escalade. It sounds like you got a scare because you had your kid in the truck, and have some real issues regarding electronics (probably BCM) but also that I think the high temperature in the US yesterday was about 80 degrees so it probably wasn't quite an oven, especially with 5 of 6 windows open.

Because you had something done to the windshield that uses water, I wouldn't be surprised if you get some pushback if it is the BCM (see the previous threads on windshield tinting) because there shouldn't be any water dumping on the dash or able to run behind the dash. Just as a point of note. Beyond that, other than getting to it (and I don't know how easy/hard that is on a Ram), changing a BCM on virtually every car is a couple of bolts and unplugging a harness. With a vehicle as expensive as yours, they will probably just do it (don't mention the eyebrow tinting and they probably won't notice it).

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
LoL. I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing you should have probably stayed with the Escalade. It sounds like you got a scare because you had your kid in the truck, and have some real issues regarding electronics (probably BCM) but also that I think the high temperature in the US yesterday was about 80 degrees so it probably wasn't quite an oven, especially with 5 of 6 windows open.

Because you had something done to the windshield that uses water, I wouldn't be surprised if you get some pushback if it is the BCM (see the previous threads on windshield tinting) because there shouldn't be any water dumping on the dash or able to run behind the dash. Just as a point of note. Beyond that, other than getting to it (and I don't know how easy/hard that is on a Ram), changing a BCM on virtually every car is a couple of bolts and unplugging a harness. With a vehicle as expensive as yours, they will probably just do it (don't mention the eyebrow tinting and they probably won't notice it).
That’s what I’m hoping. As for the heat this was full on maximum heat from the engine on full blast. I’m in Texas and it was 80 here. The windows wouldn’t open when this happened. The air in my face was well over 100. I live in 100 plus temps and this was a hair dryer on hi blowing at us

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what I’m hoping. As for the heat this was full on maximum heat from the engine on full blast. I’m in Texas and it was 80 here. The windows wouldn’t open when this happened. The air in my face was well over 100. I live in 100 plus temps and this was a hair dryer on hi blowing at us
Too bad you couldn't have bottled some of that heat and sold it to those poor saps up in North Texas :) .

With a video of it I wouldn't be surprised if they just swap it out. Worse for you is if they insist on duplicating the condition. That could be really tricky with electronics.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
Too bad you couldn't have bottled some of that heat and sold it to those poor saps up in North Texas :) .

With a video of it I wouldn't be surprised if they just swap it out. Worse for you is if they insist on duplicating the condition. That could be really tricky with electronics.
It was plenty cold here in San Antonio last week. Down to about 6 degrees where I am, wind chill of -11. Wouldn’t have been a terrible thing last week!

Air1fam

Reaction score
I’ve been searching the forum for some issues I’ve been having and have been able to find similar situations, primarily the driver side Ram box opening and the driver side tail light staying on. But tonight, with my 2.5 year old son with me, we had MAJOR safety issues IMO. Absolutely unacceptable.

I have a 2020 RAM Limited EcoDiesel with Ram box and multi function tailgate. While waiting in line at a fast food chain the UConnect screen became very dim. Then it went blank along with all the lights for the surrounding buttons, completely dark. The dash screen started to beep giving me two errors regarding the side steps not functioning and the side sensors not working. I then began to feel hit and realized the HEAT was ON FULL and I could not turn it off. I then tried to roll down the front windows and NOTHING!!! They would not roll down. My son is in the back yelling “HOT DADDY HOT” and so I tried the back windows. Thankfully those worked and rolled down. I then tried the sunroof and rear window, both worked.
With the UConnect screen flickering off and on, warning codes beeping on the dash, the distinct smell of an electrical burn, and full blast heat blowing into the cab I tried the front windows once more. The driver side rolled down but the passenger would not. At this point I turned the truck off and then back on hoping something would reset. And it didn’t.
I captured all of this on video. When I got home, as if things weren’t already bad enough, I open my door and take the normal step down I always do... No step, so I just about broke my ankle. I quickly go to the passenger side to get my son out of this oven and while doing so the passenger step actually extends hitting me in the shin. The lights that normally shine from under the side mirrors are off as well and I noticed them flickering.
If all this sounds like an exaggeration I promise you it’s not. I had called my dealership two weeks ago to set an appointment and they told me two weeks and then never returned my call.
@ram_cares this one will be coming your way. I’m so furious right now that my $70k truck with 11k miles is basically a non functioning oven. Couldn’t be more disappointed right now and candidly, I’m concerned about our safety. We were cooking. Had to have been 90 in the cab.
My video will not post from here so I’ll try to find a way to shorten it and attach after uploading.
99% water intrusion causing shorting of wiring. Behind dash? Or lift up carpet under front floor mats and check for dampness.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
Just an eyebrow, not the entire windshield.
Forgot to
Mention that he eyebrow was done 6 months ago. Never had issues until last night. And just had the same thing happen on a short drive so looking like this won’t be hard for the dealer to recreate

Users who are viewing this thread