5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LUYED LED- New (Frugal) LED Reverse Light.

768mph

Reaction score
i have to 2nd this - those taps that cut into the wire are sketchy.

id peel that back out and put a gel filled or melty glue butt connector there and put your factory wire back together, and shrink heat wrap the splice, then electrical tape the harness back up.

then grab the wire you need via the plug interface proper like.

Understood; this is not a permanent modification. I have other plans to improve the rear lighting. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve been doing this for decades. I’ve done more to it than just “taping and ties.”
If you've been doing this for decades then you've been doing it wrong for decades. Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you since I am a professional installer and have been doing in-car electronics since 1978. My only purpose for posting is to prevent others for doing what you did that don't know any better. I am confident, now that you understand how to do it correctly, you will tear that bastardization of a wiring connection apart and do it right at your convenience;)

philodog

Reaction score
I went a slightly different route with the wiring. The wires on the LUYED are tiny, maybe 22 gauge, much smaller than the wires in the 7 pin. I didn't want to try connecting them in such a limited space, especially with the incorrect size wire taps that came with the LUYEDs so I pigtailed wires onto the black and white wires in the 7 pin leaving lots of extra length to make it easy to work with, then soldered the tiny wires to the pigtails. Much easier.

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 178

768mph

Reaction score
If you've been doing this for decades then you've been doing it wrong for decades. Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you since I am a professional installer and have been doing in-car electronics since 1978. My only purpose for posting is to prevent others for doing what you did that don't know any better. I am confident, now that you understand how to do it correctly, you will tear that bastardization of a wiring connection apart and do it right at your convenience;)

It seems with your constant replies with condescending undertones, you give the appearance of a pissing contest. Which I’m growing tired of and members here will find this getting old.

As I stated earlier, thanks for your feedback.

No need for more replies with “now you know” and “bastardization”. Unless you somehow feel gaining the last reply feeds some sort of ego. Let’s end it here; if you have more feedback please feel free to DM me. No need to clog up this thread. (Sincere)

Back to the Original Point to the Post:

Hopefully every person found this thread useful; Enjoy everyone!

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It seems with your constant replies with condescending undertones, you give the appearance of a pissing contest. Which I’m growing tired of and members here will find this getting old.

As I stated earlier, thanks for your feedback.

No need for more replies with “now you know” and “bastardization”. Unless you somehow feel gaining the last reply feeds some sort of ego. Let’s end it here; if you have more feedback please feel free to DM me. No need to clog up this thread. (Sincere)

Back to the Original Point to the Post:

Hopefully every person found this thread useful; Enjoy everyone!
No ego here. Sorry...I just call it like I see it. Great thread and motivated me to order some parts and do it like @saylor did. I just cringe at poor quality workmanship...that will never change...it's in my DNA and I can't apologize for that.

768mph

Reaction score
No ego here. Sorry...I just call it like I see it. Great thread and motivated me to order some parts and do it like @saylor did. I just cringe at poor quality workmanship...that will never change...it's in my DNA and I can't apologize for that.

If you feel that passionately about the subject please write the manufacture LUYED who provided instructions to install THIS VERY WAY.

I’m sure one random guy on the internet knows more than the engineers at LUYED. Can it be done better? Always. Is it the end of the world? Absolutely not. Haha.

Edited my original post to add a disclaimer about LUYED install instructions. Hopefully this ends this. I cringe at the repetition in your replies and refusal to let this go. Smh. Have a good one.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you feel that passionately about the subject please write the manufacture LUYED who provided instructions to install THIS VERY WAY.

I’m sure one random guy on the internet knows more than the engineers at LUYED. Can it be done better? Always. Is it the end of the world? Absolutely not. Haha.

Edited my original post to add a disclaimer about LUYED install instructions. Hopefully this ends this. I cringe at the repetition in your replies and refusal to let this go. Smh. Have a good one.
Are you serious...your reply is laughable. Are you really going to make the argument that a Chinese product that comes with instructions written by someone who is clearly NOT an "engineer" is the right way to do it??? I am not one "random" guy that knows more than the person that wrote the LUYED instructions. There are actually hundreds of folks that would step forward, if they truly knew how to wire vehicle electrical connections properly, confirm that what I am saying is 100% accurate. Again, no ego here...I am only trying to prevent people from doing it incorrectly and then having electrical issues down the road.

I know...I know...you keep saying over and over that this was not a "permanent" modification. Interesting now that you got called out for it that it is not "permanent" :ROFLMAO:

When people post install work that is shoddy, especially electrical work that can have negative impacts in several different ways, I feel compelled to educate and folks, as they will do anyway, will do what they want...their truck and they can. Forgive me for tying to help the people on this forum that are interested in this mod (as am I) and giving advice that is 100% sound from an engineering perspective so members can do it properly. Isn't this why we're all here...to learn?

I'm done here going back and forth with you as you clearly don't comprehend the points I am trying to make...maybe I should write them in Chinese for you;) Enjoy your truck and I look forward to seeing your "permanent" installation...I will be posting mine when all of my parts arrive and I can find a nice day to do my installation:)

RookieDDZ

Reaction score
I went a slightly different route with the wiring. The wires on the LUYED are tiny, maybe 22 gauge, much smaller than the wires in the 7 pin. I didn't want to try connecting them in such a limited space, especially with the incorrect size wire taps that came with the LUYEDs so I pigtailed wires onto the black and white wires in the 7 pin leaving lots of extra length to make it easy to work with, then soldered the tiny wires to the pigtails. Much easier.
Good idea. And are the lights mounted to the bumper? Never thought of that. I wanted mine tucked away as much as possible. But these lights looks great no matter where people mount them.

Zsowle50

Reaction score
First off...not yelling...only making a VERY IMPORTANT POINT! Secondly, electrical tape will not prevent moisture from getting inside. You should solder and shrink wrap when making external connections. Your truck...just sharing with you that, not only are those connectors NOT for outdoor use, they are extremely unreliable ways to tap wires together regardless. If you're happy, that's fine. If anything, my message is being read by others so that they don't make the same mistake ;) My philosophy is if you don't have the proper tools or equipment to do it right, then buy what you need or don't do it at all. Soldering irons and solder is super cheap and Amazon has tons of shrink tubing and solder shrink tubing for peanuts. Just sayin' for those looking to do any wiring, inside your truck or out:)

As a master tec your %100 right. Inside only

768mph

Reaction score
Are you serious...your reply is laughable. Are you really going to make the argument that a Chinese product that comes with instructions written by someone who is clearly NOT an "engineer" is the right way to do it??? I am not one "random" guy that knows more than the person that wrote the LUYED instructions. There are actually hundreds of folks that would step forward, if they truly knew how to wire vehicle electrical connections properly, confirm that what I am saying is 100% accurate. Again, no ego here...I am only trying to prevent people from doing it incorrectly and then having electrical issues down the road.

I know...I know...you keep saying over and over that this was not a "permanent" modification. Interesting now that you got called out for it that it is not "permanent" :ROFLMAO:

When people post install work that is shoddy, especially electrical work that can have negative impacts in several different ways, I feel compelled to educate and folks, as they will do anyway, will do what they want...their truck and they can. Forgive me for tying to help the people on this forum that are interested in this mod (as am I) and giving advice that is 100% sound from an engineering perspective so members can do it properly. Isn't this why we're all here...to learn?

I'm done here going back and forth with you as you clearly don't comprehend the points I am trying to make...maybe I should write them in Chinese for you;) Enjoy your truck and I look forward to seeing your "permanent" installation...I will be posting mine when all of my parts arrive and I can find a nice day to do my installation:)

Maybe the comprehension issue is on your side?

-Did I deny any of your advice? no. In fact, I thanked you.
-Did I say LUYED got it 100% right? No, in fact I pointed out it can always be done better.
-Did I get called out? Absolutely not; a random person started his FIRST reply to my post with an exclamation of a question with a “HUGE NO NO!Rather than “I would have done it this way Sir...”
-write them Chinese for me? Witty attempt?
Comprehension is in the eye of the unbiased. I’d expect more professionalism from members on this page but it is the internet, (shrugs). Can’t win them all.

In my career, I interview people daily (conduct felony level investigations for the DoD). It takes a lot to ruffle me. Don’t worry about that bud. Please go back and re-read my posts, all of which have ended with “Thank you” or a healthy acknowledgment ending; and I never denied your advice. Your approach out of the gate, and continued, is what’s distracting from this post.

100% agreement we are here to learn, again, not arguing against that. Hopefully you got what you came for; educating others folks, albeit, Your delivery was very poor.

Thankfully this is done and other can enjoy this thread without “childish” bickering back and forth. It seems you may have been offended and keep replying to somewhat satisfy your need “to be right”, no one has said you were not. Let’s shake and move on bud.

Thank...you...again. DM sent

Last edited:

saylor

Reaction score
everyone mind your wiring. thats all. be clean do good work take your time.

now - to get this thread back on track -

just a teaser post to get back to the subject of lights

20210204_163041.jpg

saylor

Reaction score
i had to pull the front license plate holder off the truck to fit on the westin winch bumper. so i had this peice layin around. and a bunch of amber lights. and turns out i didnt have the honeycomb grille, mines solid. so i couldnt slap these 3/4 lights into the honeycomb holes.

but i want clearance lights. a lot of em. everywhere.

so i started goofin with this piece
20210204_163051.jpg

so then i got dumb with it

20210204_164423.jpg

and put 5 holes in

20210204_164806.jpg

then i put zip ties on the backsides to help hold them in flush and tight
20210204_171218.jpg

thats as far as i am so far

RookieDDZ

Reaction score
i had to pull the front license plate holder off the truck to fit on the westin winch bumper. so i had this peice layin around. and a bunch of amber lights. and turns out i didnt have the honeycomb grille, mines solid. so i couldnt slap these 3/4 lights into the honeycomb holes.

but i want clearance lights. a lot of em. everywhere.

so i started goofin with this piece
View attachment 82198

so then i got dumb with it

View attachment 82199

and put 5 holes in

View attachment 82200

then i put zip ties on the backsides to help hold them in flush and tight
View attachment 82201

thats as far as i am so far

damn it. I thought I was done with mods this winter...
Keep going and show us what you get done.

saylor

Reaction score
it fits back in up under the westin bumper, the top 2 mount holes are covered up so it wouldnt work for a license plate anymore, but the bottom half or so is below the bumper, so it maybe will make a good light housing. and the wires can hide behind it because it has depth. and no poking any new holes this is all stock mounting points.
i was gonna use some washers and lock nuts thru the lower mount holes as the actual mounts thats holding it to the truck, and maybe route the wiring thru a top hole that has the clippies removed from the backside where it pops in to the bumper.

any idea on whats a good fuse in the engine compartment fuse box to catch off of for key on only/ Not full time power?

saylor

Reaction score
@saylor ...it is either F33 or F66 my friend...but, I think F66 is power with ignition on only.
oh yes sir i did f66 IIRC for the radar detector per spec

i was wondering about something up in the engine compartment - i havent gone there yet - dunno if there is keyed fuse positions up there or not

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
oh yes sir i did f66 IIRC for the radar detector per spec

i was wondering about something up in the engine compartment - i havent gone there yet - dunno if there is keyed fuse positions up there or not
I believe that one of the engine compartment fuse box studs has a switched source available. You can either use a multimeter to find it or search the forum as I believed that someone tied their light bar switching circuit into this same fuse panel stud. Either way, will not bed hard to find.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK...off to a great start being that it rained on and off today and my hitch bracket just came about an hour ago. I have the bracket installed; the lights mounted; the CURT harness connected up to the truck; the 5-pin extension cable wired up; and all wiring is in a split-loom jacket. If the weather holds out tomorrow (calling for more rain), I plan to get everything wired up and functional. Pics so far:

RAM REVERSE LTS 3.JPG RAM REVERSE LTS2.JPG

saylor

Reaction score
clean install!

lets see it tonight boss! i set mine out towards a 45* angle it doesnt look so great visually but the beam width allowed it and at night it lights up a pretty wide area

Users who are viewing this thread