5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered the rear 2" last night.

Raydar

Reaction score
Finally put my lowering springs and bags on today. For those saying it only took 45 minutes, you suck!

Yeah... Took me the better part of an afternoon to do mine, including the installation of the wheel well liners. But I wasn't in a huge hurry, either. Took the time to consume a couple of adult beverages as I was winding it down.
Was still easier than replacing the springs on my Trailblazer.

Reactions: J4U

teadubb

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up some lowering springs and 22" OEM limited wheels, does anyone have any pics with that set up? Trying to decide what tire to put on the OEM rims

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Blew the dust off and finally put em' on this morning...

1571517889568.png

Before getting started though, I measured from the garage floor up to the bottom of the wheel arches and the front were 36-1/4" and the rears were 38-1/4". Afterward, the rears were 36-3/4". While obviously not a full 2", IMHO it looks chit-loads better and is close enough for me. :cool:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just received my lowering springs and I’m going to have installed on Thursday, but they measure 18 inches. The picture above shows the stock springs measuring 18 1/4 inches. Does anyone know if the lowering springs actually compress almost a full 2 inches more than the stock springs once installed? ... Did anyone else’s lowering springs measure 18 inches before installation, but still get the 2 inch drop you were expecting?

chad202

Reaction score
mine measured the same. Didn’t measure the stock ones though. I ended up cutting a coil off my passenger side as my truck ended up 1/2” higher than drivers side.

J4U

Reaction score
I stood the lowering springs next to the originals when I pulled the first one off. Definitely shorter.

Had to strap the og springs to get them off, but the new ones slipped right in.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine measured the same. Didn’t measure the stock ones though. I ended up cutting a coil off my passenger side as my truck ended up 1/2” higher than drivers side.

I stood the lowering springs next to the originals when I pulled the first one off. Definitely shorter.

Had to strap the og springs to get them off, but the new ones slipped right in.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I’ll see what happens, hopefully it works out.

TWRam

Reaction score
Well, I did as the thread title states and lowered the rear 2" last night. Install was too easy. Remove lower bolt from each shock and lift chassis until rear tires are just about off the ground then swap out the springs. I really like the look. After driving about 15 miles or so, I would say that the difference in ride will be unnoticeable for most. For me, when focusing solely on the rear suspension performance, I found it to be a touch stiffer than stock which was surprising given the visibly smaller spring material diameter; however, slightly stiffer is what it should be since we just cut our upward suspension travel from rest in half. I have about 2" between the axle and bump stop now vs about 4" stock. The stiffer spring will help minimize bottoming out if you have a heavy payload or tongue weight on the back. I did not notice a harsher ride at all and I have 22" wheels. The benefit of the stiffer rear spring is that it has reduced body roll much like a stiffer sway bar would do. Cornering is notably improved! (y) Great mod IMO. Improved looks, better handling, no real compromise to ride or capabilities. BE91E4A9-6C8F-4C2E-BCDA-7DE75299A7F0.jpeg 1F705D8F-6333-4AE9-B6AF-C16D50235A2C.jpeg 5CE506D5-1A62-49E7-8E09-ABB46546A109.jpeg 04707B65-098F-4767-98DC-16F91FB0F075.jpeg

Last edited:

Hockeydad

Reaction score
Well, I did as the thread title states and lowered the rear 2" last night. Install was too easy. Remove lower bolt from each shock and lift chassis until rear tires are just about off the ground the swap out the shocks. I really like the look. After driving about 15 miles or so, I would say that the difference in ride will be unnoticeable for most. For me, when focusing solely on the rear suspension performance, I found it to be a touch stiffer than stock which was surprising given the visibly smaller spring material diameter; however, slightly stiffer is what it should be since we just cut our upward suspension travel from rest in half. I have about 2" between the axle and bump stop now vs about 4" stock. The stiffer spring will help minimize bottoming out if you have a heavy payload or tongue weight on the back. I did not notice a harsher ride at all and I have 22" wheels. The benefit of the stiffer rear spring is that it has reduced body roll much like a stiffer sway bar would do. Cornering is notably improved! (y) Great mod IMO. Improved looks, better handling, no real compromise to ride or capabilities. View attachment 38642 View attachment 38643 View attachment 38644 View attachment 38645
Looks great now get the hellwig sway bar and it will corner even better.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just received my lowering springs and I’m going to have installed on Thursday, but they measure 18 inches. The picture above shows the stock springs measuring 18 1/4 inches. Does anyone know if the lowering springs actually compress almost a full 2 inches more than the stock springs once installed? ... Did anyone else’s lowering springs measure 18 inches before installation, but still get the 2 inch drop you were expecting?

UPDATE: My stock springs actually measured 19 inches, the new lowering springs measured 18 inches, so logically it only dropped my rear 1 inch. I think it does look better, but I’m a little disappointed I didn’t get the full 2 inch drop as advertised. Overall I’m still happy with the $142 investment.

IMO the ride does feel a little stiffer, in a good way. Time permitting I will be installing the Hellwig tomorrow which I’m pretty excited about based on the comments I’ve read on this forum.

chad202

Reaction score
mine were only 1” less but lowered 2”. Spring progression must be different.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine were only 1” less but lowered 2”. Spring progression must be different.

It’s only been 2 days maybe they’ll settle a little more? My payload is 1,589 so maybe that has something to do with it too? Either way I’m still happy with the $142 investment.

Cross88

Reaction score
Mine haven’t settle, been on for a couple thousand miles now and they gave me just shy of a full 2”. I love them. I have a 1632lb payload capacity

TWRam

Reaction score
Quick observation regarding the 2" rear "Level". I noticed driving home yesterday that my start/stop wasn't turning the engine off at a couple lights and that the truck wouldn't creep forward when letting off the brakes and would only move forward once I put my foot on the gas. After the 2nd time it did it, I realized that this was the Hill Start Assist function activating. Since the rear is now notably lower, the computer thinks that the truck is on an incline surface all the time. When I now encounter real inclines, albeit quite small, that would not normally trigger the hill assist feature, it is now triggered since the computer sees the incline from the small hill AND the perceived incline from dropping the rear. Not a big deal, just another quirk of the truck.......add it to the list. I wonder if there is some way to reset "Level" in the computer?

Additionally, I should lower my headlights after the level. They pretty much shoot straight out now which is certain to annoy cars and other drivers that sit low to the ground. If they were readjusted just a touch downwards, they'd be perfect.

Firebird

Reaction score
Quick observation regarding the 2" rear "Level". I noticed driving home yesterday that my start/stop wasn't turning the engine off at a couple lights and that the truck wouldn't creep forward when letting off the brakes and would only move forward once I put my foot on the gas. After the 2nd time it did it, I realized that this was the Hill Start Assist function activating. Since the rear is now notably lower, the computer thinks that the truck is on an incline surface all the time. When I now encounter real inclines, albeit quite small, that would not normally trigger the hill assist feature, it is now triggered since the computer sees the incline from the small hill AND the perceived incline from dropping the rear. Not a big deal, just another quirk of the truck.......add it to the list. I wonder if there is some way to reset "Level" in the computer?

Additionally, I should lower my headlights after the level. They pretty much shoot straight out now which is certain to annoy cars and other drivers that sit low to the ground. If they were readjusted just a touch downwards, they'd be perfect.
That's interesting, I have my hill start assist turned off, so never noticed that. So far, I have only had one car flash me after the level, so it seems to still be ok in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread