5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered the rear 2" last night.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Hdmlnium1 thanks man got my springs ordered can't wait!
I've been on the fence about lifting my truck and with the amount of money to get it lifted with the tires I want it's just way to much I want to spend right now this is a great alternative I really just want the rake gone.

Subystar

Reaction score
New truck owner coming up here so pardon my ignorance. Does this have any negative effects when the bed is fully loaded or maybe be hauling a boat+bed loaded with gear?

SupremeWill

Reaction score
New truck owner coming up here so pardon my ignorance. Does this have any negative effects when the bed is fully loaded or maybe be hauling a boat+bed loaded with gear?

Depending on how heavy you haul the truck may squat. If the squat is extreme it can put unneeded stress on a drive line.
I put a set of airbags on my truck for less than a hundred bucks to counteract this problem in case I end up towing.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys how high do you got to lift the truck to get the springs out I'm having a hell of a time I've unbolted the shocks and lifted it up until the wheels come off the ground and I still can't get the springs out. Any suggestions???

Hdmlnium1

Reaction score
Guys how high do you got to lift the truck to get the springs out I'm having a hell of a time I've unbolted the shocks and lifted it up until the wheels come off the ground and I still can't get the springs out. Any suggestions???

you can use a ratchet strap, grab the bottom coil and the top coil and it will compress the spring and you should be able to get it out then. I pulled both rear wheels off unbolted the shocks and sway bar end links and had no issues.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you can use a ratchet strap, grab the bottom coil and the top coil and it will compress the spring and you should be able to get it out then. I pulled both rear wheels off unbolted the shocks and sway bar end links and had no issues.
Genius never thought of using a ratchet strap thanks!

SupremeWill

Reaction score
As above you have to remove the sway bar links or it will not lower enough.

I've done 4 of the 5th Gens and I've only had to remove the lower shock bolts and life them up high enough that the tires are about to come off the ground and I can pull the springs out.
But I guess every truck is different.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've done 4 of the 5th Gens and I've only had to remove the lower shock bolts and life them up high enough that the tires are about to come off the ground and I can pull the springs out.
But I guess every truck is different.
Guys I guess I just don't have the tools to get the job done in Hughes Garage yet so I guess I'm going to go to a shop tomorrow to get them put in. I'm SOOOO tired of nose diving!

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Guys I guess I just don't have the tools to get the job done in Hughes Garage yet so I guess I'm going to go to a shop tomorrow to get them put in. I'm SOOOO tired of nose diving!

Don't feel bad, it happens to all of us. That's why I have so many tools.

You will definitely enjoy it once it's done.

I want to do something more now, I'm not sure if I should lower it more and go to 22" wheels or lift it and get bigger tires.....

chad202

Reaction score
if you measure both sides from top the rim to fender what’s your measurements? I measure this way cause it rules out the affects of tire pressure. Mine seems to be 3/8-1/2” lowered on passenger side which drives me crazy. Think I’m gonna cut the spring to make right.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should measure center of wheel(centercap) to fender. As long as your not on crazy terrain with suspension articulated, should always be true numbers. Even if tires are flat

chad202

Reaction score
all my GMs were 1/2” lowered on driver side and looks like my ram is also. I hate that.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s crazy to actually know that is not abnormal still on modern day vehicles.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I look at my truck from rear and say it looks off lower on drivers side. Oddly no matter how much my ocd kicks in. I measure and all even. Damn mind playing games lol

chad202

Reaction score
That’s a pet peeve of mine. With GM vehicles I would used drop shackles and lower drivers side 1.5 and passenger 2”. With this ram I thought it was the top rubber cause I knew I didn’t get it right the first time. We today I redid it and got it right and still 1/2” higher. ‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread