5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loudness problem

Sfoster0717

Reaction score
then you have Alpine, can you not identify the speakers on your vehicle. Look at the front of your dash, there's a speaker right there. Which one is it?
They don't suck, trust me. I'm an audiophile. These are pretty darn good, but I'm not going to go listen to the radio station and expect magical quality out of terrible source.

Sirus Radio is much better than over the air radio.
I have the same speaker set up he is complaining about and I must agree it sucks. I use an iPod with a USB-C style cable and when you turn the volume up past 25 it sounds terrible. If your an audiophile guy I would guess your into a better speaker such as focal, diamond or even the higher end JL speakers and if your saying your an audiophile guy then you wouldn’t be using anything stock from ram. I’ve been installing systems for almost 14 years now and this truck needs at least a JL FIX and all new speakers at minimum. Just to be a decent set up.

alexsad66

Reaction score
I am also experiencing the same issue. The volume level doesn't seem to increase at all once it goes beyond volume level 22 or equivalent. Its quite annoying when you're trying to rock out. Ive been searching for a solution the best I could and came up with nothing. Another user commented on another thread and they believe it only happens when your mobile device is plugged into the USB port but why would that even matter??? Please if anyone has any info that can help that would be most appreciated!

scottz29

Reaction score
I thought I'd add to the list and say I have the same problem as the rest of you. I too, like my music loud, and after volume level 22, all the way to 38 sounds identical to me. There is literally no difference. Just FYI, I do not have hearing loss, I can hear my wife whispering things about me to my kids from the other end of the house!

I've tried turning on the "loudness" setting, which seems to do nothing at all, and also playing around with the speed adjusted volume setting. Like a previous poster, I found the best results doing the same thing he did, moving the balance and fade more to the front of the truck. But it's still not nearly as loud as I'd prefer it to be.

I do agree that this seems to be some sort of automatic noise canceling effect in play, as the volume seems to fade in and out from time to time as I'm driving (even with the "speed adjusted volume" turned off). Sometimes the volume goes dramatically lower and I crank the volume up to compensate, and it's already at 38.

I wish there was some fix, manual adjustment or hack we could do to these things to increase the max volume, even just a little bit... The crappy cassette radio and speakers I had in my Buick Skylark when I was a kid was louder!

Reaction score
I

I have the same base, 6-speaker audio system, and it sounds terrible while using Sirius over volume level ~18. In fact, the sound level is no different between 27 to 38 (max).

Have you tried it without your iPhone hooked up? I can hear a major volume and quality difference above ~25 when plugging in and unplugging my phone. It sounds terrible when Carplay is active.

alexsad66

Reaction score
Have you tried it without your iPhone hooked up? I can hear a major volume and quality difference above ~25 when plugging in and unplugging my phone. It sounds terrible when Carplay is active.
Yes I have noticed this too! When carplay is active the sound volume is much lower for some odd reason. Anybody know why that is?

Buck88

Reaction score
I noticed this as well. I had a 2018 8.4 non Nav and the radio didnt sound bad. I now have a 2020 8.4 nonNav and I turn it up to 26, and then to 38 and it's not any louder then the 26. Also, why doesn't the new models with the 8.4 not have Uconnect?

Buck88

Reaction score
you don’t have Uconnect?
Nope, theres no where on the radio to activate it, and when I go on Uconnect's website it stops at 2019. There is no 2020 option. The only thing I've found is Guardian by Sirius.
Unless I'm missing something. I know I sure miss starting my truck from my phone.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope, theres no where on the radio to activate it, and when I go on Uconnect's website it stops at 2019. There is no 2020 option. The only thing I've found is Guardian by Sirius.
Unless I'm missing something. I know I sure miss starting my truck from my phone.

Uconnect is the software that runs your head unit/radio. Being able to start your car from your app is a separate feature. You need the navigation option in order to have that feature.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Is there a way to fix the lack of loudness issue?

I don’t have a loudness issue but one think to check is that the volume on your phone is turned up when connected. I haven’t checked that in the ram but I know it makes a difference in my other vehicle.Also check that speed adjust is unchecked in Uconnect settings. If those don’t fix the issue than it might be something with the radio

Buck88

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with my phone. The music isnt coming from my phone. The volume from 26-38 is the same. If it's on 38 it almost sounds like I'm turning the volume up and down, and it's no louder at 26 then it is at 38.
I'm just wondering the radio is defective.

Thx

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with my phone. The music isnt coming from my phone. The volume from 26-38 is the same. If it's on 38 it almost sounds like I'm turning the volume up and down, and it's no louder at 26 then it is at 38.
I'm just wondering the radio is defective.

Thx

If it is coming just from the radio then I would say yes. Bring it to the dealer

Glenn54

Reaction score
1. Don't turn it up all the way. You'll ruin your hearing.
2. The sound will be better. Problem solved.

I have a 2019 Ram 8.4 Uconnect radio and the radio sounds horrible when I turn it all the way up. I went into settings and found the loudness button but it does absolutely nothing. I did notice under it that it said the radio sounds better at lower volumes well it sort of does but I would like to listen to my music loud and at higher volumes it sounds horrible. I call Ram they said take it to the dealership. Is anyone having this problem ? Thanks

MoparGuy

Reaction score
Before I got my new North Edition I had a 2017 Big Horn for two years and this was the first vehicle in 30 years I've had without a CD player. I made sure my next one would have one. I was glad to see they were putting them back in the dash where they belong. I have the Alpine 9 speaker system with 10" sub and for a stock system, it rocks pretty good. The signal strength from satellite and from my iPhone is exceptional but the CD player is so weak it's ridiculous. Instead of the 506 watts you'd think it was more like 50 watts. Normally the CD player always gave you the strongest signal of any source. I know I'm old school even talking about CDs but I have over 1200 and have no plans of parting with them. I assume all the new Rams with CD players have this issue due to how they are connected as in not directly integrated to the head unit???

Brrryan

Reaction score
I couldn’t stand the base system myself, so I swapped out the dash 3.5s for some Kickers, disconnected the ANC, and added a Kicker Hideaway 8” subwoofer. Left the doors alone. Night and day difference for minimal effort/cost. There are a few threads with a good variety of different upgrades guys have done. Obviously doesn’t help if your radio is actually malfunctioning though!

traymo

Reaction score
My 2020 Rebel with the 8.4 non-nav unit is doing the same thing. Anything above 20 seems the same. For a split second, the volume increases and then goes back down. It is almost like the radio is trying to prevent speaker damage by lowering the volume down. It is extremely annoying. I am not sure upgrading the speakers will fix it. I think the radio will still try to "limit" the volume.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
My 2020 Rebel with the 8.4 non-nav unit is doing the same thing. Anything above 20 seems the same. For a split second, the volume increases and then goes back down. It is almost like the radio is trying to prevent speaker damage by lowering the volume down. It is extremely annoying. I am not sure upgrading the speakers will fix it. I think the radio will still try to "limit" the volume.

I’d bring it to the dealer. Maybe tie it in to an oil change or recall or something so it’s less aggravating. It shouldn’t be doing that.

Ram2020hemi

Reaction score
After 20 my volume stays the same as I turn it louder is there a reason for this I think it’s a radio issue but haven’t had time. To go back to the dealer yet . Can anyone help

StevenS

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new 2500 ram owner and I have this same issue with the volume going in and out anything above 20, it is very annoying as I like to rock.

8.4" non-nav head unit and base speakers. Anyone came up with a fix?

Users who are viewing this thread