5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loudness problem

Bigblue679

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 8.4 Uconnect radio and the radio sounds horrible when I turn it all the way up. I went into settings and found the loudness button but it does absolutely nothing. I did notice under it that it said the radio sounds better at lower volumes well it sort of does but I would like to listen to my music loud and at higher volumes it sounds horrible. I call Ram they said take it to the dealership. Is anyone having this problem ? Thanks

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 8.4 Uconnect radio and the radio sounds horrible when I turn it all the way up. I went into settings and found the loudness button but it does absolutely nothing. I did notice under it that it said the radio sounds better at lower volumes well it sort of does but I would like to listen to my music loud and at higher volumes it sounds horrible. I call Ram they said take it to the dealership. Is anyone having this problem ? Thanks

Do you have the Alpine or the HK system? Also, the quality of the radio will always suck at higher volumes because it's low quality audio source. To get best results, use your own higher fidelity sources/music to take advantage.

This doesn't sound like an initial issue with your system. Can't expect to get super great quality over the air from a Radio station if you will ;).

Rich

Reaction score
FYI, "Loudness" is a feature that increases the bass at lower volume levels. This setting will do nothing about how 'loud' can get, or how good (or bad) it sounds at high volume levels.

Bigblue679

Reaction score
Do you have the Alpine or the HK system? Also, the quality of the radio will always suck at higher volumes because it's low quality audio source. To get best results, use your own higher fidelity sources/music to take advantage.

This doesn't sound like an initial issue with your system. Can't expect to get super great quality over the air from a Radio station if you will ;).
I had a 2016 Ram sport and the radio cranked this one is horrible. I just have the regular 8.4 inch radio no Alpine no HK.

Bigblue679

Reaction score
FYI, "Loudness" is a feature that increases the bass at lower volume levels. This setting will do nothing about how 'loud' can get, or how good (or bad) it sounds at high volume levels.
I didn't know that and thank you for letting me know could it be the speakers ?

Bigblue679

Reaction score

Speakers suck ?

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Ram sport and the radio cranked this one is horrible. I just have the regular 8.4 inch radio no Alpine no HK.

then you have Alpine, can you not identify the speakers on your vehicle. Look at the front of your dash, there's a speaker right there. Which one is it?
They don't suck, trust me. I'm an audiophile. These are pretty darn good, but I'm not going to go listen to the radio station and expect magical quality out of terrible source.

Sirus Radio is much better than over the air radio.

Bigblue679

Reaction score
then you have Alpine, can you not identify the speakers on your vehicle. Look at the front of your dash, there's a speaker right there. Which one is it?
They don't suck, trust me. I'm an audiophile. These are pretty darn good, but I'm not going to go listen to the radio station and expect magical quality out of terrible source.

Sirus Radio is much better than over the air radio.
Their not Alpine just stock I had the Alpine system before and that front speaker had Alpine on it mine don't. So I messed around with balance and moved more of the sound to the front speakers and it sounds way better don't know why but it does.
Thanks for your help.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Their not Alpine just stock I had the Alpine system before and that front speaker had Alpine on it mine don't. So I messed around with balance and moved more of the sound to the front speakers and it sounds way better don't know why but it does.
Thanks for your help.

I thought all 2019 came with alpine unless you get L2 package. But I could be wrong and won’t be the first time today either

Rich

Reaction score
I thought all 2019 came with alpine unless you get L2 package. But I could be wrong and won’t be the first time today either

Alpine is an "upgrade" or option. I have level 2 bighorn with 8.4 Nav, with the "stock" 6? Speaker package radio, no Alpine.

I put 6? because I haven't found the sixth speaker yet. But I didn't look hard LOL! I see a speaker in the front driver and passenger door, and then three under the windshield, left / right and center. Where's the sixth?

Bigblue679

Reaction score
Alpine is an "upgrade" or option. I have level 2 bighorn with 8.4 Nav, with the "stock" 6? Speaker package radio, no Alpine.

I put 6? because I haven't found the sixth speaker yet. But I didn't look hard LOL! I see a speaker in the front driver and passenger door, and then three under the windshield, left / right and center. Where's the sixth?
Theirs one in each door and 3 on the dash ? That would be 7 I can't tell if the middle one on the dash works.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

This the 6? (Item #1)

1549642543764.png

This also lines up with the descriptions in the wiring diagram for the base system

1549642707048.png

Reactions: cj7

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

6 speakers - 2 in the dash 2 in the front doors 2 in the rear doors. 6 total. Alpine is technically a 10 speaker system, 3 in the dash 2 in front doors 2 in rear doors 2 in rear head liner 1 subwoofer. The HK is where Ram is pushing it calling it a 19 speaker system. 3 coaxials in the dash, they count as 6, 2 coaxials in the front door they count as 4, 2 mid range drivers in front doors, 2 full range drivers in rear doors, 2 coaxials in the rear headliner they count as 4, 1 subwoofer. so 6+4+2+2+4+1= 19 speakers but 14 of those speakers are in 7 locations, they count the tweeter in the in the 3.5" coaxial as a separate speaker so really you would only see 12 physical speaker locations. The base 6 speaker system is controlled almost entirely by the head unit the signal out of the head unit itself adjusts for Fade/balance and the bass/mid/trebel gain. The Alpine and HK have a DSP/amplifier, the signal out of the head unit is full range and flat, the DSP/amp controls the gain, fade and balance. The best thing you can do is replace the factory speakers for instant improvement in sound quality on all 3 systems. I have replaced all the factory speakers on my Alpine system with JBL's except for the sub. The biggest improvement is replacing the 3.5" factory dash speaker with a 3.5" coaxial since the factory speakers lack a true tweeter.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I didn't notice the two in the rear doors yet, and I did see a speaker grill in the center of the dash. Perhaps the center of the dash is an empty speaker grill if I don't have the Alpine or HK system?

I did see all the problems that people have been having with the ANC when replacing speakers, and I don't want to lose the ANC. Since I have the base system, and with the ANC issues,I haven't thought about changing speakers yet.

My original thought was not to throw money at the OEM expensive audio options and go aftermarket, as I have always done in the past. But it seems the new technology in these new vehicles makes it harder to do that. The last vehicle I purchased was back in 2006, so I'm a bit behind in the new tech. LOL

Rich

Reaction score
This the 6? (Item #1)

View attachment 15662

This also lines up with the descriptions in the wiring diagram for the base system

View attachment 15663

Yes, it seems so. I think I had missed the rear door speakers, and counted the (probably) empty windshield center speaker grill.

Where is everyone finding all these nice diagrams, x-ray views, and other useful documentation? ;) I'm definitely jealous!

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it seems so. I think I had missed the rear door speakers, and counted the (probably) empty windshield center speaker grill.

Where is everyone finding all these nice diagrams, x-ray views, and other useful documentation? ;) I'm definitely jealous!

The center won't have a speaker but should have your daylight sensor for automatic control of the headlights.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/5th-gen-stock-stereo-upgrade-options.926/ This is your best thread to follow. All kinds of good stuff in here. Cut views, wiring diagrams install pics, @WRH and @YoAdrian are your best resource for the base 6 speaker systems.

Smalas15

Reaction score

I

I'm with you on this. I have the same base, 6-speaker audio system, and it sounds terrible while using Sirius over volume level ~18. In fact, the sound level is no different between 27 to 38 (max). Not to mention, the sound quality between each Sirius channel varies greatly.

How is your sound using USB and bluetooth? Mine is terrible. My iphone plays my music just as loud unplugged as my truck does through USB using an Apple cord and Bluetooth.

I don't have a solution for you but just wanted to let you know that I'm 100% convinced something is not right with mine too. Given what I read about the ANC issues, I'm thinking our problem is related to that. Haven't had the chance to drive back to the dealer, again (transmission and Carplay), as I bought a brand new truck thinking I wouldn't have problems. Even though it's not necessarily a "problem," petty things like this really make me regret trading in my 2012 F-150.

Jtc411

Reaction score
Did anyone find a solution to this? I have this problem and am thinking it’s ANC related

Jetter

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix for this? I Bought my 19 RAM last week brand new with the 8.4 Uconnect and 6 speaker system. Sounds decent to about volume 20-22 depending on the song. I would like it to be a little louder, how ever once I get past volume 22, the sound appears to sound like a concert hall, or the volume just seems to go in and out, almost as if it were being over powered or limited. From the research I've done, it appears that the ANC (active noise cancellation) could be the culprit. I have not confirmed this but before I disconnect anything or upgrade the sound system I hoping someone else had already experienced this with a fix.

Users who are viewing this thread