5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loudness problem

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The volume down thing past 20 on the knob is a nasty characteristic of the base 6 speaker system. At the risk of sounding like the dealership, they all do it. When something heavy hits, it's almost like system is starving for power, saving the speakers or something. The sound improves quite a bit after disabling ANC and fading a couple clicks to the front

StevenS

Reaction score
The volume down thing past 20 on the knob is a nasty characteristic of the base 6 speaker system. At the risk of sounding like the dealership, they all do it. When something heavy hits, it's almost like system is starving for power, saving the speakers or something. The sound improves quite a bit after disabling ANC and fading a couple clicks to the front

How hard is it to deactivate the ANC ?

Scram1500

Reaction score
With a harness or snipping wires, not hard at all. I de-pinned the 4 positive wires from the plug and that was fiddley, took some time to figure out. If I had any patience the harness is the way to go, 2nd would be de-pinning. Still able to go back to oem if necessary

traymo

Reaction score
Would just replacing the factory speakers fix the problem, or do you think it would still do it?

Scram1500

Reaction score
Just replacing the factory speakers won't fix it, only real solution is an aftermarket amp and that comes with its own set of problems. A lot of people report success with replacing the 3.5" dash speakers for better sound

traymo

Reaction score
Just replacing the factory speakers won't fix it, only real solution is an aftermarket amp and that comes with its own set of problems. A lot of people report success with replacing the 3.5" dash speakers for better sound
But, the volume would still clip out after 20-22?

Scram1500

Reaction score
No, specially if you fade the sound to the front. It's the rear door speakers that lose volume. Try fadeing yours to the front, it's much louder

Scram1500

Reaction score
I'm considering a smaller speaker in the rear door than a 6x9, maybe match the front door

MoparGuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new 2500 ram owner and I have this same issue with the volume going in and out anything above 20, it is very annoying as I like to rock.

8.4" non-nav head unit and base speakers. Anyone came up with a fix?
Welcome to the Forum and the Ram family StevenS. I've never had any issues with the volume going in and out from any source. The only issue i have is the CD player volume is like 50% less than any other source. I sent this pic to my dealer and asked if this auxiliary volume offset function in your audio settings is supposed to correct that. This function is grayed out in my Ram and I assume never activated from the factory for some reason. He said low volume issues can be fixesd with a flash done at the dealer. Guys who have the 19 speaker HK 900 watt system have had low volume issues and the flash from the dealer fixes that as well. I have the 10 speaker Alpine system with a 10"sub and that is the best factory system I've ever had in a vehicle. I listen to my system at volume 32 most of the time and I believe 37 is max. I plan on adding two additional 10s" and a 1000 watts amp at some point.

1590167951207.png

traymo

Reaction score
Has anyone with the 8.4 non-nav radio with the basic 6 speaker system been to the dealer about this issue? I am wondering if they had a firmware update that might address it. If I go to the uconnect website and put my VIN in, it says there isn't an update for my radio. The volume issue is the only thing that I HATE about my Rebel. The 8.4 radio in my '15 Ram rocked. That is the reason I didn't spend extra to order the HK or Alpine system. I completely regret it!

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Has anyone with the 8.4 non-nav radio with the basic 6 speaker system been to the dealer about this issue? I am wondering if they had a firmware update that might address it. If I go to the uconnect website and put my VIN in, it says there isn't an update for my radio. The volume issue is the only thing that I HATE about my Rebel. The 8.4 radio in my '15 Ram rocked. That is the reason I didn't spend extra to order the HK or Alpine system. I completely regret it!

I really would like to know as well! I have a 2019 Ram 1500 and I have the factory 6 speaker setup and after 20 volume just sounds the same and no loudness at all.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
My Big Horn has a build date of 08/2020 and the radio does the same thing. The loudness of the stereo is one of the few dissapointments with the truck. Love the truck, but I wish I could crank the music.

MoparGuy

Reaction score
My Big Horn has a build date of 08/2020 and the radio does the same thing. The loudness of the stereo is one of the few dissapointments with the truck. Love the truck, but I wish I could crank the music.
Guys,
Based on the volume issues you’re having, I’d say you need to take it in and have the system flashed. My 2017 Big Horn had the 6 speaker system and I could crank it to max volume at 37 and it was pretty loud for a base system. I see no reason why the 5THGEN base system would be any different. At least call your local dealer and tell them your issue as I’m sure you won’t be the first to do so.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Guys,
Based on the volume issues you’re having, I’d say you need to take it in and have the system flashed. My 2017 Big Horn had the 6 speaker system and I could crank it to max volume at 37 and it was pretty loud for a base system. I see no reason why the 5THGEN base system would be any different. At least call your local dealer and tell them your issue as I’m sure you won’t be the first to do so.

I just spoke with my service advisor and he said I already have the latest update on my radio.

MoparGuy

Reaction score
I just spoke with my service advisor and he said I already have the latest update on my radio.
Sorry to hear that. Very disappointing considering FCA is known for putting decent stereo systems in their vehicles for years. Between my wife, daughters and I, we’ve owned or leased over 25 FCA vehicles in the the last 30 years and most of them I’ve been able to keep the factory head unit and speakers and just add subs and and an amp. Looks you may want to start by replacing the factory speakers but just watch what ohm load they are.

Muddemmon

Reaction score
My truck is the base model 2500 with the 6 speaker 8 inch u connect and it’s horrible because I like loud music and this system doesn’t put out !!

Muddemmon

Reaction score
I am also experiencing the same issue. The volume level doesn't seem to increase at all once it goes beyond volume level 22 or equivalent. Its quite annoying when you're trying to rock out. Ive been searching for a solution the best I could and came up with nothing. Another user commented on another thread and they believe it only happens when your mobile device is plugged into the USB port but why would that even matter??? Please if anyone has any info that can help that would be most appreciated!
Mine is quiet no matter if phone is plugged in or not and if it’s radio or whatever

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. The Alpine system with the sub is awesome.

Quint

Reaction score
I had the Alpine in my 2015, and while they put in a puny sub, it still sounded marginal. In my 2021 Bighorn I opted for the base 6-speaker system. I bypassed the ANC and put in my old Rockford Fosgate amp & 10" sub. It definitely sounds better. Today I will install four JBL 6x9s in the doors to see how those interact with this system.

There isn't a ton of power from this head unit, so my next step might be to add another amp for the door speakers.

MoparGuy

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. The Alpine system with the sub is awesome.
I agree! This Alpine system is the best sounding factory system I've had in a vehicle. I have always modified all my vehicles systems at least with subs and amps and plan on doing the same with my Ram but keeping the factory 10" as well.

Users who are viewing this thread