5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud ventilated seat fan at start

DJR2019RAM

Reaction score
Be warned, I took my Ram in for the drivers ventilated seat (back) not working - tech ordered a replacement. When they came to replace it it was actually missing - i.e. not installed. On fitting the replacement the tech inadvertently broke the seat cover zipper. At which point I was directed to the courtesy rental desk while a replacement was ordered. That was Monday.... still in the loaner Jeep Wrangler as of today.

DJR2019RAM

Reaction score
Be warned, I took my Ram in for the drivers ventilated seat (back) not working - tech ordered a replacement. When they came to replace it it was actually missing - i.e. not installed. On fitting the replacement the tech inadvertently broke the seat cover zipper. At which point I was directed to the courtesy rental desk while a replacement was ordered. That was Monday.... still in the loaner Jeep Wrangler as of today.
Update 9/30 - vented seat now fixed, now I really appreciate how quiet the Ram is compared to the Wrangler....

Mr4x403

Reaction score
I am also having this issue. It doesn't happen all the time, I'd say 20%. When turned on the fan is definitely louder than normal, I turn it off and back on and it goes back to normal. It sounds like the fan is hitting something and just not normal. I want to take it into the dealer before my warranty is up, but know how it is going to go. "Well we can't get it to do the same thing and can't see anything wrong, so bring it in next time it does it." Then reading this post it goes away after a few minutes so that worries me too. Not sure what to do. Going to keep an eye on this thread though.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am also having this issue. It doesn't happen all the time, I'd say 20%. When turned on the fan is definitely louder than normal, I turn it off and back on and it goes back to normal. It sounds like the fan is hitting something and just not normal. I want to take it into the dealer before my warranty is up, but know how it is going to go. "Well we can't get it to do the same thing and can't see anything wrong, so bring it in next time it does it." Then reading this post it goes away after a few minutes so that worries me too. Not sure what to do. Going to keep an eye on this thread though.

Hi Mr4x403,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this concern with your truck. If you do end up addressing this with your dealer, please know that our team would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process. We are just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Add me to the list of defective ventilated seats. Son was sitting in passenger rear position. Turned on the ventilated seat and sounded like a card in spokes.
He fiddled around with the seat a bit and we could get it to come and go but it would always eventually come back.

Honestly, these trucks are really POS's. Now that I have 12k miles on it, all the little gremlins are starting to come out. Squeeks, rattles, software glitches, side step glitches, radio glitches, plastics warping, clunky transmission, and now my ventilation fan issues.

Already have the trade/sale plan in mind. Going to drive most of the warranty out of it and then dump it.

derp

Reaction score
I am a enthusiast of seat ventilation. My wife and kids, not so much. electronic seat ventilation is nice too, and they like that much more than my manual venting procedure.

Windowlock - on
heat - full
recirculate - on
ventilate into seat.

Mikent

Reaction score
The fan in my seats were always a little louder than other vehicles I driven with ventilated seat. Mine has gotten louder, but we had a cold front recently and it was the first time I used the heaters. it was loud enough i turned the seat heaters off.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ventilated seat fan on this car for sure is louder than my previous car even the lowest setting, always play loud music so not really matter to me.

MichelBP88

Reaction score
The ventilated seats are fairly loud normally but more of just a blowing noise (my old 4th gen and new 5th gen) but the noise I'm experiencing and the OP, I believe, is a different noise. It's like a loud grinding sound that sometimes is there, sometimes not. The dealer did hear my noise and is replacing the fan under warranty. I will report back if it does fix the grinding sound.
I have very loud AC seats driver and the 2nd row ( Fan is hitting something ) and when I don't sit on the seats its not so loud .
When I had my F150 the seats where quite .
I'm a little disappointed to spend that much money and have that poor of a AC Seat quality ?
Will they replace the issue under warranty ?

illucid

Reaction score
I have very loud AC seats driver and the 2nd row ( Fan is hitting something ) and when I don't sit on the seats its not so loud .
When I had my F150 the seats where quite .
I'm a little disappointed to spend that much money and have that poor of a AC Seat quality ?
Will they replace the issue under warranty ?
As I said above, they did replace the loud seat fan under warranty. But mine was more than just loud, it was a terrible grinding sound. So far, so good but its not summer yet so I haven't really used it much lol

DM-SC

Reaction score
I started hearing a loud whirring noise (much louder than previously) on start up about 3 months ago. It was intermittent and would go away after a minute or so.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago, after the noise became constant, that I figured out it was the driver's side seat ventilation fan.

The reason it was intermittent was due to the temps being too low for the automatic on feature.

I can move around in my seat or push on the seat bottom and change the pitch of the noise.

I just need to find time to take it to the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
I started hearing a loud whirring noise (much louder than previously) on start up about 3 months ago. It was intermittent and would go away after a minute or so.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago, after the noise became constant, that I figured out it was the driver's side seat ventilation fan.

The reason it was intermittent was due to the temps being too low for the automatic on feature.

I can move around in my seat or push on the seat bottom and change the pitch of the noise.

Hi DM-SC,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this concern. If it would be of interest, we are more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf to connect you with a case manager for an additional layer of support addressing this with your dealer. Our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

MichelBP88

Reaction score

This is exactly what I have experienced !
Its starts out loud than after a couple min of running the grinding is gone and when I move in the seat I can change the noiseto very quite or very loud !

2019RAM32539

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else is have this issue. When first starting the truck the driver's ventilated seat fan is noticeably loud, seems to rise in pitch and generally just doesn't sound right. After 3 -5 minutes it calms down. Seems to be getting worse over time.

2019RAM32539

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram Laramie Sport...I'm not so happy with this truck...1st off I've driven Rams my whole life so I was soooo excited when the 2019 came out...almost from day one I've regretted this purchase...so many ankle biters it drives me crazy....
1. Uconnect on the 12" screen is a disaster at least for me...at least 6-times this thing has locked up.
2. Navigation/Maps horrible...I still have to use my Garmin
3. Passenger side collapsible mirror continues to cycle over and over
4. Drivers side carpet has come loose and had to be replaced
5. Auto tailgate (which I waited for forever to get) sticks and sometimes does not not release
6. Fan under the seat when set to vent sounds like a cheap blow-dryer...I've had this in the dealership a few times with no success
7. Fuel economy has gone from a one time best of 22-mpg to a normal 15-MPG coupled with a 24-gallon tank makes the weekly more annoying than anything.
8. Windshield whistles when driving down the interstate
9. Center console is out of sync...it's large but not really that functional
10. Phone charging / docking station not so great phones with safety covers won't fit

Has anyone had this many concerns on their 2019 Ram?
If so have you had any luck correcting them?
Do I have more problems on the way?

Bonafide823

Reaction score
Mine only does this for auto start on hot days. I don't mind it, I just turn it to the high setting. If I go back to the low setting like it was when I did the auto start, it does the buzzing. I say it's similar to what yall are experiencing.

RamCares

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram Laramie Sport...I'm not so happy with this truck...1st off I've driven Rams my whole life so I was soooo excited when the 2019 came out...almost from day one I've regretted this purchase...so many ankle biters it drives me crazy....
1. Uconnect on the 12" screen is a disaster at least for me...at least 6-times this thing has locked up.
2. Navigation/Maps horrible...I still have to use my Garmin
3. Passenger side collapsible mirror continues to cycle over and over
4. Drivers side carpet has come loose and had to be replaced
5. Auto tailgate (which I waited for forever to get) sticks and sometimes does not not release
6. Fan under the seat when set to vent sounds like a cheap blow-dryer...I've had this in the dealership a few times with no success
7. Fuel economy has gone from a one time best of 22-mpg to a normal 15-MPG coupled with a 24-gallon tank makes the weekly more annoying than anything.
8. Windshield whistles when driving down the interstate
9. Center console is out of sync...it's large but not really that functional
10. Phone charging / docking station not so great phones with safety covers won't fit

Has anyone had this many concerns on their 2019 Ram?
If so have you had any luck correcting them?
Do I have more problems on the way?

Hi 2019RAM32539,

I am very sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. Please know that our team is always just a private message away and we are happy to provide you with an extra layer of support as you work with your dealer for any current concerns.

Mark
RamCares

btwistd

Reaction score
Yep, I have this issue too with the seat fan! First time it happened it sounded like it was going to explode after a "spooling up/ whirling" sound. Scared the crap out of me and the wife...I had to pull over to the side of the road and we both were ready to bail out of the truck! LOL

Now, occasionally it will have the same noise as the OP stated, like the card in spoke clicking sound but with air. VERY OBNOXIOUS!!!!

espiller

Reaction score
I also have this problem when on high. It sometimes help turning it off and on.

Skyler76

Reaction score
These seats are a nightmare. My truck has literally be in 6 times for them to "fix" this problem. All times I am without my truck for days and either don't get a loaner or get a car - I bought a truck, not a car. Still not fixed. I had forgotten about it until recently because it's winter but the truck was warm due to sitting in the sun and they came on today. Super loud, crappy fan/bearing noise. Turn off and on a few times and it will go away. These seats were actually a big proponent of why I bought the specific truck i did, now, I wish I hadn't made them a wish list item. Like others too, my fuel economy took a massive dive recently. I'm averaging 13.6 and I am an extremely light footed drive. No change in driving habits either. 11K on the clock, seats have been an issue since day 1.

Users who are viewing this thread