5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Noise on Startup

Norvak

Reaction score
I just found this thread. My 2019 has been doing this since I got it, and just thought it was something normal with this gen. My 4th gen never did it though. I don’t have etorque either. I’m at around 32k without any issues, just the noise.

There’s no point in taking it to my dealership because they’re worthless. They have literally lost my truck before when doing an oil change. Took them hours to find it.

Jp306

Reaction score
Still at the dealership, but they said it was coming from the alternator, so they are slapping a new one on.

Joshua022

Reaction score
I guess Ill join the list, my 2021 bighorn does this exact noise too.

Savage_Doc

Reaction score
I have a mechanical (metal) crack sound at start up also. I have regular 5.7 Hemi (no e-torque). The sound happens often, 7/10 times like @mjharden mentioned. It is a very distinct sound like metal teeth or gears crashing together. Maybe a starter issue? Not a grinding, more like hitting solid metal with a hammer. It is one more "anomaly" that I have on my brand new 2019 RAM. Love the truck but hoping FCA / the dealer can resolve.
Mine is a 2020 Rebel 5.7 HEMI w/o eTorque and is doing the same sound, I think it is the starter gear disengaging.

Jp306

Reaction score
From the alternator ??? Wow
Started it this morning, sound is STILL there, so stay tuned for more info haha. Receipt still said the alternator bearing was bad by listening with a scope, but maybe they didn't check the rest of the bearings and another is bad?

I'll let you know. This is interesting.

Jp306

Reaction score
From the alternator ??? Wow
2nd visit got me a new battery. They charged it, said it failed, and was causing the alternator to go "full field" on start up. Noise is still there. Bringing it in for a 3rd time tomorrow. The saga continues.

MurdaRam

Reaction score
2nd visit got me a new battery. They charged it, said it failed, and was causing the alternator to go "full field" on start up. Noise is still there. Bringing it in for a 3rd time tomorrow. The saga continues.
Thanks for keeping us posted. A lot of us have been dealing with this issue for years. I just kinda gave up. This has been stopping me from putting on an exhaust system because it would be harder to diagnose. I haven’t heard of the noise causing any issues though..

joby

Reaction score
Just had mine to the dealer with a list of things. Clunk on start up was one...could not duplicate. I do the light pressure on the brake at start up and don't hear it. Will do it sometimes if I put a lot of pressure on brake pedal, but of course not at the dealership.

Duran

Reaction score
My laramie is going in Wednesday i made a complain of hard shifting. Rough start up and that squealimg noise while driving. I will be sure to post results

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Just found this thread. Mine dose this. Usually only if it's been sitting a while/cold start. But to me is sound more like something hitting a plastic box. I figure if I take it in they won't be able to replicate it. It don't do it all the time.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has a popping sound that seems to emanate from the exhaust like a mini backfire? Wonder if it has something to do with the crappy exhaust manifolds that are a known failure point on these trucks?
This is exactly how mine sounds...I just started noticing it which is how I found this thread. Truck runs fine otherwise but almost like a backfire sound. I will try to remember to take my foot off the brake sooner to see if that eliminates it.

tad

Reaction score
Has anyone found the issue making this sound? Mine makes the popping creaking noise at startup no matter how I press the brake or how fast I let off it. Just left the dealership after they replaced the exhaust manifold, gasket and one of the studs. The poping noise is still there and the shop forum told me different people hear different things. I asked him if he hears it and he said yes and I asked him if it was normal and he was Says I don’t know. He told me to take it home for the weekend then to bring it back on Monday and he will email dodge to see if this is a common complaint or not.

MurdaRam

Reaction score
Has anyone found the issue making this sound? Mine makes the popping creaking noise at startup no matter how I press the brake or how fast I let off it. Just left the dealership after they replaced the exhaust manifold, gasket and one of the studs. The poping noise is still there and the shop forum told me different people hear different things. I asked him if he hears it and he said yes and I asked him if it was normal and he was Says I don’t know. He told me to take it home for the weekend then to bring it back on Monday and he will email dodge to see if this is a common complaint or not.
Your issue doesn’t sound like what’s being discussed in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread