5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Noise on Startup

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I discovered mine was related to the park brake. If I only lightly put my foot on the brake when starting, it didn't make the pop noise. I turned the auto park brake off in Uconnect.

It's not the park brake. That can be on or off, makes no difference. What matters is whether you're holding the brake pedal down or not, when the engine catches. If the brake is pressed, good chance there is a clunk. I tap the brakes just long enough for the engine to start spinning, but let go immediately after that. Haven't had a clunk in over a year and park brake is auto on/off (which it should be, parking brake should always be used especially if you value your transmission).

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I am not making the connection between brakes and the starter. This does not make sense on any level as they are wholly different systems that do not interact.

silver billet

Reaction score
I am not making the connection between brakes and the starter. This does not make sense on any level as they are wholly different systems that do not interact.

It's been confirmed by a bunch of different people, not just me. If I hang onto the brakes, it will clunk 6 out of 10 times.

My suspicion is that it's drive train related, possibly just slack in the system somewhere. When you hold onto the brakes, the drive shaft can't spin anymore so it clunks against whatever is binding it due to the brakes. When you let go of the brakes there is a tiny amount of movement at wheels when it starts, just enough for the driveshaft to no longer bump/clunk up against it.

So that last bit is just me speculating, but the brake effect is real, whatever the reason.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It's been confirmed by a bunch of different people, not just me. If I hang onto the brakes, it will clunk 6 out of 10 times.

My suspicion is that it's drive train related, possibly just slack in the system somewhere. When you hold onto the brakes, the drive shaft can't spin anymore so it clunks against whatever is binding it due to the brakes. When you let go of the brakes there is a tiny amount of movement at wheels when it starts, just enough for the driveshaft to no longer bump/clunk up against it.

So that last bit is just me speculating, but the brake effect is real, whatever the reason.
Not doubting you. It just does not register with my thinking about it. Just piecing it together like you are. Even the driveshaft theory you bring up. When in park, the driveshaft is completely disengaged from the motor so it cannot turn when the starter engages the flywheel. The brakes only hit the wheels anyway. If the wheels are not rolling, the brakes are just clamping to a piece of metal. Nothing is turning.

Just odd all around.

silver billet

Reaction score
Not doubting you. It just does not register with my thinking about it. Just piecing it together like you are. Even the driveshaft theory you bring up. When in park, the driveshaft is completely disengaged from the motor so it cannot turn when the starter engages the flywheel. The brakes only hit the wheels anyway. If the wheels are not rolling, the brakes are just clamping to a piece of metal. Nothing is turning.

Just odd all around.

One guy posted a video of it, you can actually see the drive shaft spinning/turning slightly when it clunks.

silver billet

Reaction score
But that is with the brake on? Crazy!

I don't remember if the brakes were on when the shaft turned in that video. It was posted a while ago, and it may have even been in one of the other ram forums? But yes the shaft turns and that is what causes the clunk, but as to why it goes away with the brakes off... that's just my silly guess.

KaraKoç

Reaction score
It's not the park brake. That can be on or off, makes no difference. What matters is whether you're holding the brake pedal down or not, when the engine catches. If the brake is pressed, good chance there is a clunk. I tap the brakes just long enough for the engine to start spinning, but let go immediately after that. Haven't had a clunk in over a year and park brake is auto on/off (which it should be, parking brake should always be used especially if you value your transmission).
How about remote start? If it is related to how much pressure is applied to the brake pedal remote start should never have it, right?

Edit: my 2019 1500 Laramie, 32k miles has this as well. The noise appears to be coming from the rear and sounds like the ones in the videos posted here.

Last edited:

Washwaash

Reaction score
Well guess what guys, its 2022 this thread started in 2018 and the issue still exist even on newer models
i took it to the dealer and i got the " its normal" treatment, my question how come it was not there before ?!!
I have ram rebel 2021 done 20,000 KM recently it start happening, for me it only happen after the car has been resting for at least two hours. i actually did multiple test
- first start in the morning = clunk
- after 1 hour of the first start = no clunk
- after 1:30 hour of the first start = no clunk
- 2 hours after the first start = clunk
and like what other said, if i start the car remotely no clunk, please see below my videos

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Don't worry, it's part of the plan. When you have to get an electric truck, there won't be any clunk on startup. Fixed.

U

User_3336

Well guess what guys, its 2022 this thread started in 2018 and the issue still exist even on newer models
i took it to the dealer and i got the " its normal" treatment, my question how come it was not there before ?!!
I have ram rebel 2021 done 20,000 KM recently it start happening, for me it only happen after the car has been resting for at least two hours. i actually did multiple test
- first start in the morning = clunk
- after 1 hour of the first start = no clunk
- after 1:30 hour of the first start = no clunk
- 2 hours after the first start = clunk
and like what other said, if i start the car remotely no clunk, please see below my videos
TRADE IT! You're gonna drive yourself nuts over this! :-\

2023BighornCA

Reaction score
2023 Bighorn owner here.

No E-Torque, 5.7 engine. 3600kM on the clock when it made the startup clunk just after the engine caught a few days ago. Stopped at a store after a long drive, started the truck up and the clunk noise startled me it was so loud. It did it a few more times that day, checked with both remote start and tried the brake pedal trick…it made no difference, same noise. Has not made the noise since that day however.

Noise is coming from the front drivers side.

Needless to say, this does not seem normal to me. So sounds like Dodge has not fixed this issue on the 2023 trucks either.

Will be taking it to the dealer as soon as I can to have it looked at.

Any 2023 owners having issues with this as well?

2023BighornCA

Reaction score
I don't think Dodge will ever fix it.

Are you having the same issue?

So far I can’t seem to find anything online that says this has caused damage…I’d love to know what is causing it though! Seems the Fords that use the same transmission are having the startup clunk as well.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Are you having the same issue?

So far I can’t seem to find anything online that says this has caused damage…I’d love to know what is causing it though! Seems the Fords that use the same transmission are having the startup clunk as well.
I honestly wasn’t aware that Ford used the same transmission , I thought Ford and GM used the same .
I haven’t heard a clunk on mine at all , I’ve had mine for 4 1/2 years now so I don’t think it’s normal to have it .

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I honestly wasn’t aware that Ford used the same transmission , I thought Ford and GM used the same .
I haven’t heard a clunk on mine at all , I’ve had mine for 4 1/2 years now so I don’t think it’s normal to have it .
They don't share a transmission at all afaik.

Sometimes my truck sounds like it's gonna explode when I start it. Just very aggressive cold start. Sometimes it gives the quick tick the manual says to ignore. Otherwise I don't know that my truck rattles when I crank it. Sometimes it is violent enough for me to pause though. All the videos posted seem to have been removed due to age at this point.

U

User_3336

The 10-speed automatic is designed by Ford and built by both of them with slight variations in the programming, but it's a coop automatic for GM/Ford.
I think he thought RAM and FORD/GM used the same transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread