5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Noise on Startup

Duran

Reaction score
Just curious, has any one notice thay if u do not put the hand brake, does it still do it when u cold start the truck? Do u still hear the clunk/bang when u push start the truck the next morning?
I quit hearing mine when i barley press the break and immediately release after i press the start.

GeoJoe

Reaction score
Trying to bring this Forum back. I have this issue almost daily with the loud clunk. I feel like something is going to break and it just doesn't sound good. Especially when a friend gets in your truck and goes what was that noise and you have to explain that your brand new truck has a problem that no one has figured out. I feel like its something in the tranny. Maybe the torque converter once it starts spinning?
Mine has a popping sound that seems to emanate from the exhaust like a mini backfire? Wonder if it has something to do with the crappy exhaust manifolds that are a known failure point on these trucks?

Duran

Reaction score
reguarding the noise in my video:

I just turned my truck in today to the dealer for an overnight stay. I had mentioned the exhaust manifold bolt. They replied the 2020 1500 models havent been getting that problem but they wil look into it.

Im hoping they can resolve the squealing issue . I will for sure post the results when i get my truck back.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I quit hearing mine when i barley press the break and immediately release after i press the start.
Same here. I did discover you can remove your foot too soon after a couple stumble starts. I was pressing start and removing my foot at the same time, now I wait until it cranks before letting off

Wsmith

Reaction score
Referring to the snap, crackle pop sound. As others have said if you take you foot off of the brake it doesn't make the noise. This morning I started, took my foot off the brake (no popping) waited five seconds and put my foot on the brake and the cracking and popping happened. I am sure it is the brakes charging up or setting. It is of no concern to me. On my 15 silverado after a few seconds there was a clank and the ABS light would go out. The noise was from the ABS system setting.

Lawn guy

Reaction score
Checking in to see if anyone is having the same issue I'm having. On startup, I would say 7-8 out of 10 times, there is this really loud noise! My wife even commented on it...she said that does not sound normal! I haven't recorded it yet. Anyone else having this issue

I own a 2019 ram 1500 hemi. I have a rattle at startup happens also seven to eight times out of 10 for about 3 seconds. Dodge said they don't think it's anything abnormal. But I've owned 4 hemis never had one do this before. It doesn't sound normal to me.

Duran

Reaction score
We have alot of info about this. Also i posted a video . But same i took it to the dealer and they said it all checked out .

Elhilario23

Reaction score
it is crazy how nobody has found a solution besides doing that lightly press in break before starting. I know this is not normal at all

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
it is crazy how nobody has found a solution besides doing that lightly press in break before starting. I know this is not normal at all

How do you know its not normal at all?
As others have said, many vehicles have different (sometimes weird) sounds when first priming ABS and other systems.

Elhilario23

Reaction score
How do you know its not normal at all?
As others have said, many vehicles have different (sometimes weird) sounds when first priming ABS and other systems.
Its not normal because not all of the rams do it, not all rams of this year have that banging sound as if someone got a hammer and hit the driveshaft or a metal. I can be wrong but as i have done my research not all of them do it. On the other side there is us, who say its normal and try to live with it but it is there no matter what. Trying to press the brake slightly to avoid hearing the noise.

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I have had the same issue. Took it to 2 different Ram dealerships and since it was not throwing any codes the technicians had no idea what it was.

I am not exactly sure what it is, but I think I might have a little solution. It seems like it's connected to the brake somehow. So on Startup I have been pushing the brakes but immediately letting off after hitting the start button. I've done this consistently for about a week now and I have not heard the clunk yet. I have also been switching the electronic parking brake in neutral and then Park as opposed to park and then brake.

I hope this helps. Still hoping for a permanent solution from FCA.

Elhilario23

Reaction score
I have had the same issue. Took it to 2 different Ram dealerships and since it was not throwing any codes the technicians had no idea what it was.

I am not exactly sure what it is, but I think I might have a little solution. It seems like it's connected to the brake somehow. So on Startup I have been pushing the brakes but immediately letting off after hitting the start button. I've done this consistently for about a week now and I have not heard the clunk yet. I have also been switching the electronic parking brake in neutral and then Park as opposed to park and then brake.

I hope this helps. Still hoping for a permanent solution from FCA.
Yes that is correct. When u slightly press the break and start it , it does not do it. Or press and let go of the break as soon as it is initiating. Though FCA needs a solution for this. It is pretty annoying. It is a loud clunk. U might know how to avoid it, but what if u lend ur dad the truck or if y forget to do something with the break ti avoid the clunk and it pops while you are with friends, family or etc. It is gonna suck. Why? Because they are gonna hear it. Its loud. A brand new truck with this issue is not acceptable to be honest. In my end, i have the rebel, around 54k truck with this issue?????? Not acceptable hope there is a fix asap

72soft-top

Reaction score
I found this posting to address the start up bang on my 2020 BTS. For about 2 weeks now, I’ve been depressing the brake slight until the starter engages and immediately releasing when starter cranking begins.... no banging at all!!!!
Definitely seems like a programming issue, but if this light brake pedal release method works, I’m good knowing the mechanical binding has been avoided

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
Are the sounds you all are experiencing more like this rattle as the starter disengages?
Heres a video:

Jp306

Reaction score

Different sound, but anyone have this happen to them? Normally only on cold winter days, lasts up to 1.5 mins, sometimes less. Gotta be a bearing I guess, but I don't have a ton of experience in this area. Thanks in advance!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Different sound, but anyone have this happen to them? Normally only on cold winter days, lasts up to 1.5 mins, sometimes less. Gotta be a bearing I guess, but I don't have a ton of experience in this area. Thanks in advance!
That is something different.
This is the " thump, bang sound"...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I had that on my 3.6 Pentastar. On my invoice for the fix they wrote: "Idler pulley causing noise, replaced as per TSB 07-002-15, idler pulley replaced".

Different engine, but if you show them your video they'll probably know right away what it is, I did the same thing and they found it instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread