5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Noise on Startup

kmck94

Reaction score
So the dealer called.... Cannot replicate noise even after I showed them two separate videos of the clank. THEY SAID THEY COULD HEAR THE CLANK IN BOTH VIDEOS THAT I PROVIDED. So now I have a brand new truck that clanks so hard it shakes the truck but the dealer won't do anything. All I wanted was the flash update for the tranny, a simple 20-minute job but they aren't sure if warranty will pay for this work. Funny thing is the noise happens 100% of the time if you let it sit for 6 hours which it did on their lot. So unless there was an act of god that made it not clank that time the dealer is lying and just doesn't want to deal with it because I want a STAR case opened... They said, "This is the first 19 Ram that has come in for any warranty/issue work." This blows my mind that this was the first truck to come in for warranty work after all of the issues I have read on this forum. This is a massive dealer in Jacksonville, Florida I'm talking they have a 3 story parking garage for all of their new vehicles. So unless they have sold no Rams to anyone in Jacksonville, someone would have come into service with a Ram issue by now. They said I now need to leave the truck for a couple of nights but they CANNOT provide a rental car because they do not know if it is a warranty issue yet. Once they can prove its warranty then they will provide a rental but to prove the warranty issue I have to leave it for a couple of days. So I'm out of a truck?? What am I going to use for work while my truck is sitting there so they can hear the clank?? This is so a** backward. They wouldn't even read about the 10 plus people having an issue with the clank on this forum alone. Lastly, they ended with, "you can go to any dealer for a second opinion." So is this their way of saying we don't care? Jacksonville, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram you really need to work on your customer service as I bought this truck from you but now that you got my money you don't care any longer.

Rant over....
Really all I want is my truck to be the same the day I drove it off the lot. All I'm asking for.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So the dealer called.... Cannot replicate noise even after I showed them two separate videos of the clank. THEY SAID THEY COULD HEAR THE CLANK IN BOTH VIDEOS THAT I PROVIDED. So now I have a brand new truck that clanks so hard it shakes the truck but the dealer won't do anything. All I wanted was the flash update for the tranny, a simple 20-minute job but they aren't sure if warranty will pay for this work. Funny thing is the noise happens 100% of the time if you let it sit for 6 hours which it did on their lot. So unless there was an act of god that made it not clank that time the dealer is lying and just doesn't want to deal with it because I want a STAR case opened... They said, "This is the first 19 Ram that has come in for any warranty/issue work." This blows my mind that this was the first truck to come in for warranty work after all of the issues I have read on this forum. This is a massive dealer in Jacksonville, Florida I'm talking they have a 3 story parking garage for all of their new vehicles. So unless they have sold no Rams to anyone in Jacksonville, someone would have come into service with a Ram issue by now. They said I now need to leave the truck for a couple of nights but they CANNOT provide a rental car because they do not know if it is a warranty issue yet. Once they can prove its warranty then they will provide a rental but to prove the warranty issue I have to leave it for a couple of days. So I'm out of a truck?? What am I going to use for work while my truck is sitting there so they can hear the clank?? This is so a** backward. They wouldn't even read about the 10 plus people having an issue with the clank on this forum alone. Lastly, they ended with, "you can go to any dealer for a second opinion." So is this their way of saying we don't care? Jacksonville, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram you really need to work on your customer service as I bought this truck from you but now that you got my money you don't care any longer.

Rant over....
Really all I want is my truck to be the same the day I drove it off the lot. All I'm asking for.
Maybe the dealer being so big is the problem. I would try a smaller dealership with a more personal service.

RAM805

Reaction score
I called two local RAM dealer service departments a couple days ago and still have not received a call back LOL

RBRK

Reaction score
I know it’s not what you want to hear. But I really don’t think it’s an issue. Are you saying it makes the loud clank noise every time you start it after sitting for 6 hours? Is it a single loud clank noise after starting, or is it the lifters making noise? The lifters are more of a rattle right after starting, this can be from the oil pressure bleeding off from the oil filter drain back valve or a lifter itself bleeding off. Two different noises. The loud single clank noise is More Random but the oil pressure noise would be more of what I would think would happen after sitting. Have you changed your oil yet?

RAM805

Reaction score
I know it’s not what you want to hear. But I really don’t think it’s an issue. Are you saying it makes the loud clank noise every time you start it after sitting for 6 hours? Is it a single loud clank noise after starting, or is it the lifters making noise? The lifters are more of a rattle right after starting, this can be from the oil pressure bleeding off from the oil filter drain back valve or a lifter itself bleeding off. Two different noises. The loud single clank noise is More Random but the oil pressure noise would be more of what I would think would happen after sitting. Have you changed your oil yet?

The random "clank on start-up" could be best described like this: Hit the transmission housing with a hammer, one time, and hit it hard. This is definitely not engine noise or lifters or internal parts that need oil.

RBRK

Reaction score
Ya I know what it sounds like I just wondered what his noise was. I still believe it’s the park lock mechanism or something like that. I’ve heard it a few times but I always use my park brake and very rarely hear it. Seems to have been less noticeable since my software has been updated. They really need to come out with a description of it stating what it is to stop people from thinking something is wrong if it is normal or “as designed”

kmck94

Reaction score
Please listen to the video I posted. I am an engineer and fully understand the difference between lifter and a loud clank .5 after. It does not sound good. It is a clank or think of an old truck when you parked on a steep hill and you had to slam it into gear and the tranny clanked. That’s what happens every cold start up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just re-read this thread, and only one video exhibited an odd noise - immediately at startup. If that’s what you’re referring to, then my money is still on my suggestion from page 1...starter solenoid.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just re-read this thread, and only one video exhibited an odd noise - immediately at startup. If that’s what you’re referring to, then my money is still on my suggestion from page 1...starter solenoid.

Odd thing is my noise is so random. Happens on cold or warm starts but not all the time. My parking brake is always on.

Tried push button start this morning. No noise lol.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Odd thing is my noise is so random. Happens on cold or warm starts but not all the time. My parking brake is always on.

Tried push button start this morning. No noise lol.
Well, I've got $0.00 riding on this bet, so...

RBRK

Reaction score
Are you setting the park brake before shifting into park so there is no load on the trans?

kmck94

Reaction score
Are you setting the park brake before shifting into park so there is no load on the trans?
I’ve tried everything. Switching to neutral then parking brake then park. Straight to park with parking brake. Automatic parking brake. In drive putting on parking brake. I’ve tried every combination possible. I have not tried pulling the neutral cord in the dash yet. Might try that in the morning.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s on page 2 from October 10th. Posted by me. I think it’ll explain more for you. I appreciate the input.

I have the same noise at startup in your video. Its the split second grinding/crackling sound like when you shift gears without engaging the clutch.

I also have the ticking or actuators that are normal sounds.

Tried 4 times to record startup and zero noises LOL

Last edited:

RBRK

Reaction score
I’m starting to think it’s the drive on the starter. I wonder if they have changed vendors on the starters vs previous years.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I have been videoing some of my start-ups (when I remember to) and I got the "clank" captured finally ...

"video or it didn't happen"

Dayum! You caught it! I've been trying the same but no luck. Then when I don't take a video it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread