5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Noise on Startup

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
As far as I know. It's a HEMI thing, and not harmful to the engine in any way.

kmck94

Reaction score
As far as I know. It's a HEMI thing, and not harmful to the engine in any way.
It is not a "HEMI" thing. It is has to do with the transmission and has nothing to do with the actual motor. Even the F150s have this problem because they are using the same trannys as Ram. No one seems to know the cause though.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It is not a "HEMI" thing. It is has to do with the transmission and has nothing to do with the actual motor. Even the F150s have this problem because they are using the same trannys as Ram. No one seems to know the cause though.
Wasn’t aware of the Fords. Assumed it was a HEMI thing since a lot of folks refer to it as the “HEMI Tick”.

Cheers,

darynm

Reaction score
Wow, I have read this whole thread and was amazed to find out others are hearing the same thing I have. Doesn't happen every time, but definitely noticeable and a cause of concern. Have had many cars and never have a had what sounds like a metallic noise hitting something.

RAM805

Reaction score
Hey y'all ... I got my truck back from the dealer today (3 days in service dept.) - one of the issues it went in for was the "clank" at start-up as documented in the video I posted in this thread earlier. Anyway, they did some software updates and replaced my starter. Time will tell if it has been resolved.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey y'all ... I got my truck back from the dealer today (3 days in service dept.) - one of the issues it went in for was the "clank" at start-up as documented in the video I posted in this thread earlier. Anyway, they did some software updates and replaced my starter. Time will tell if it has been resolved.
Glad to hear. You should be able to tell first thing in the morning. ;)

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have updates? Mine is still clunking every day and dealer says it's normal. As you can see in videos posted it is not normal and was wondering if anyone had a better experience in getting this resolved.

Have you tried using auto parking brake engage? I get it way less now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM805

Reaction score
Got my truck back for the "clunk when turning", and "clank when starting". Neither resolved by the dealer. RAMcares wants me to take the truck to a different dealer.

Ewiz

Reaction score
RamDoesntCares Told me Regarding a whole list of other issues the same thing. i took it to 3 diff dealers, all they say is can not duplicate or this is a normal characteristic of the vehicle or compared to another vehicle and found to be the same. By far worst experience woth a dealer/manufacturer.

joescastle

Reaction score
Wow!! My truck is brand new (470miles) and on every cold start it makes this loud single knock / pop sound. When I turn off and restart immediately, it does not do it. Only when the vehicle has been sitting for awhile is when it will do it again. I can't believe that the dealers do not want to deal with this issue or the manufacturer as well... I am going to communicate this with my salesman so that he can do the leg work for me.. Remember that survey they always want you to fill out for them? They need to come out with answers if they want great customer satisfaction media.....

JLUR_

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's occurring right after the engine starts turning over on it's own. I'm leaning towards it being related to the starter when it retracts the bendix gear.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
My Ram does the same thing on start up sometimes. I was thinking maybe it was from some extra gas in the cylinders when it’s in eco mode. Or the eco mode is still engaged on start up and the pop is it going back into an 8 cylinder fire up.

mjharden

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's occurring right after the engine starts turning over on it's own. I'm leaning towards it being related to the starter when it retracts the bendix gear.

Interesting, my dad said the same thing. He’s retired now, but knows engines in/out... Just to reiterate what it sounds like for anyone joining the thread now, it’s a loud clank (like someone’s hitting something metal with a hammer).

Detzl

Reaction score
On the first cold start up it makes the noise since the first day. I put on almost 4K miles on it and it still does it. To be honest it doesn't bother me so I just let it be.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still think it is the park pawl. Since I’ve been using the auto park brake, I get the loud noise much less frequently. Maybe once in every ten starts.

kmck94

Reaction score
I still think it is the park pawl. Since I’ve been using the auto park brake, I get the loud noise much less frequently. Maybe once in every ten starts.

But if it was your parking pawl not engaging properly wouldn't your truck roll away? Even parking on a hill the clunk is there.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you are describing the bendix hitting the flywheel as it shoots out to turn the motor. Maybe the starter needs to be shimmed. Not uncommon at all.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if it was your parking pawl not engaging properly wouldn't your truck roll away? Even parking on a hill the clunk is there.

No issue with engagement. Just the slack in between that allows metal to metal clunking.

Users who are viewing this thread