5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Noise on Startup

mjharden

Reaction score
Yes, I have the same noise as in kmck94's video as well. I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow with the dealer but I think I will cancel it, after seeing this thread.
Did you ever go to your appointment? I’m still having the issue. Sounds like someone is hitting the driveshaft with a hammer! It’s still intermittent though, maybe 30-40% of starts.

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
This is a curious theory. I think maybe I will test starts when I have the parking brake on and when I do not have the parking brake on. We'll see.
I tested this theory. The parking brake has no effect on mine. Occurs with or without it on about 1 out of 15 starts. I set the parking brake while the truck is in gear with my foot on the brake.

RAM805

Reaction score
I tested this theory. The parking brake has no effect on mine. Occurs with or without it on about 1 out of 15 starts. I set the parking brake while the truck is in gear with my foot on the brake.
Same here, with or without the parking brake set I get an occasional CLANK.

RAM805

Reaction score
Did you ever go to your appointment? I’m still having the issue. Sounds like someone is hitting the driveshaft with a hammer! It’s still intermittent though, maybe 30-40% of starts.
Exactly, metal hitting metal sound. We all know what the dreaded "clunk" is – this sound will need to be the "clank" or the "clang".

kmck94

Reaction score
Exactly, metal hitting metal sound. We all know what the dreaded "clunk" is – this sound will need to be the "clank" or the "clang".
RAM805 did you ever take the truck into the dealer? Very interested to hear what they said it is. Hopefully its something other then "The engineers built it this way"

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is normal Hemi sound when starting cold engine. I believe almost every engine has it. Non issue.

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
This is normal Hemi sound when starting cold engine. I believe almost every engine has it. Non issue.
There is definitely some noise associated with starting a cold hemi (piston slap/lifters), however this issue is a different issue. It is much, much, louder and can be felt as if someone hit the drivetain with a hammer once. I have owned two Eagle Hemi’s prior to this one. It’s not common to the Hemi. I feel it’s possible it has something to do with the transmission upgrades to accommodate the start / stop tech. The transmission has to be able to maintain hydraulic pressure to start the truck moving the instant the engine fires up. Another possibility is an issue with the starter. I do not have hybrid, however I assume they both utilize the same transmission. I would take mine in to get checked out, however my truck only has the clank about 1 in 15 starts. It occurred daily the first week or so, but it has drastically diminished in frequency.

RAM805

Reaction score
RAM805 did you ever take the truck into the dealer? Very interested to hear what they said it is. Hopefully its something other then "The engineers built it this way"
It will be going in soon for the "clunk when turning" and "clank when starting" lol

kmck94

Reaction score
There is definitely some noise associated with starting a cold hemi (piston slap/lifters), however this issue is a different issue. It is much, much, louder and can be felt as if someone hit the drivetain with a hammer once. I have owned two Eagle Hemi’s prior to this one. It’s not common to the Hemi. I feel it’s possible it has something to do with the transmission upgrades to accommodate the start / stop tech. The transmission has to be able to maintain hydraulic pressure to start the truck moving the instant the engine fires up. Another possibility is an issue with the starter. I do not have hybrid, however I assume they both utilize the same transmission. I would take mine in to get checked out, however my truck only has the clank about 1 in 15 starts. It occurred daily the first week or so, but it has drastically diminished in frequency.

How many miles do you have? I have 1K and am wondering if the noise will start fading.

RBRK

Reaction score
I haven’t heard it in mine since I had all my systems updated. I remember reading in one of the descriptions it reduced various startup clanks and clicking. I used to hear it occasionally, but haven’t since, or it was a lot quieter. I also don’t hear all the clicks and stuff actuating it when I first start it in the morning. There used to be several things actuating etc.

I will continue to listen, but it’s been a week since my flashes were done.

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
I haven’t heard it in mine since I had all my systems updated. I remember reading in one of the descriptions it reduced various startup clanks and clicking. I used to hear it occasionally, but haven’t since, or it was a lot quieter. I also don’t hear all the clicks and stuff actuating it when I first start it in the morning. There used to be several things actuating etc.

I will continue to listen, but it’s been a week since my flashes were done.
That's great news! It sure sounds like it may be related to some unintentional residual E-Torque programming. I'll head on down to the dealer and request an update. What was it that led them to update all systems?

RBRK

Reaction score
I don’t have E torque, my friend is a tech and I had him check and update all systems. Mine was built in the end of May, yours is about a month after. There probably a few updates you need. The amp is huge difference if you have a 12” and the trans update makes the trans shift so much smoother. I’m really happy about those the most. The park sense won’t slam the brakes on like before backing up, that is another update they did.

Last edited:

kmck94

Reaction score
I have an appointment at 7am tomorrow requesting a flash update. Hopefully this will resolve my issues.

kmck94

Reaction score
I don’t have E torque, my friend is a tech and I had him check and update all systems. Mine was built in the end of May, yours is about a month after. There probably a few updates you need. The amp is huge difference if you have a 12” and the trans update makes the trans shift so much smoother. I’m really happy about those the most. The park sense won’t slam the brakes on like before backing up, that is another update they did.

Do you know where I can find that information?

kmck94

Reaction score
Truck is at the dealer. Even though I had multiple videos of the sound they said I had to leave it so they could replicate it. All I wanted was then to do the flash with the new updates but I guess they didn't believe me? Now I'm without a truck and they could not give me a loaner because I do not have a star case open. I really hope the flash fixes it because I am not keeping the truck if they tell me I have to do a tranny swap.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually have the cold start noise. Also happens sometimes when engine is warm. This morning I shot a video and no noise LOL

Users who are viewing this thread