5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time reader, first time posting

jcspino

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I traded in my 2016 Ram ED for a 2021 5.7 Laramie. Since the night I purchased I have been browsing the forums and sending some members messages. Everyone here is great and I have gotten so much information and many ideas catching up on the history of threads. Thanks everyone who contributes! I'm located in Dallas GA and its cool to see a few people on here that I also see driving around town.

I haven't done much so far, had the windows/windshield/headlights tinted (need to do 3rd brake light), and had a Borla ProXS muffler installed for a bit of a deeper rumble. I left the rest of the exhaust system stock and resonators on. When I first heard it I loved the sound but was disappointed with the volume. Its been a week or so now and I like being able to go to the golf course early without waking the neighbors but I also have some rumble when MDS comes on. I'm still debating a resonator delete and welcome and opinions from those of you that have resonators removed. I know the ProXS is one of the more tame borla mufflers but I really dont want a LOUD truck, just a loud one... if that makes sense. I've also got the 2" reverse leveling springs I found researching via the fourms. I jacked up the truck and took the wheels off the other day but only managed to drop and scuff a rim since I didnt have a 21 mm socket to take off the shock bolt. Didnt plan ahead on that one and I think i am going to just pay to have them installed somewhere.

Not sure about future plans. I dont mind the way the truck drives but I see the helwig sway bar discussed enough that it must be pretty good. I am also looking at the OPT7 reverse/break light bar since the tails are tinted and I want people to know I'm stopping. I also want to upgrade the Sub (I have HK) but it really seems like an expensive PITA with all the ANC stuff when all I really want to add is a little 400w amp and 10" sub for a tiny thump. Im trying to figure out if a Kicker Key plugged directly into the exiting sub wires will accomplish what I want but its hard to tell when it seems like different people get different results.

I dont have a lot of ideas otherwise. I like the stock wheels but will fit a little bigger road tire to them to fill the wheel well a little better once the first set wear out. If you guys have anything you think was well worth the money let me know and Ill add it to my wish list.

thanks for the read,
Jonathan

Attachments

• PXL_20211002_180319177_2.jpg
    PXL_20211002_180319177_2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20211001_180737672.jpg
    PXL_20211001_180737672.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20211001_204728030.jpg
    PXL_20211001_204728030.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20211002_180304130.jpg
    PXL_20211002_180304130.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 54

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
good looking truck!

FWIW - I have the Hellwig...awesome if you drive twisty roads. I also got a Bedrug, love it. The MOPAR full rubber floor mats are really great too.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great! That’s my favorite color with the blackout. Why did you switch from diesel to hemi?

jcspino

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've been weighing a bedrug vs getting a full spray in bed liner but I've got a couple other priority's first.

@djevox I didnt have any issues with the ED but also didnt have any real need for it. I dont carry anything heavier than a few sheets of plywood when I have a weekend project. The ED had decent 0-50 acceleration but 50-70 for a merge on the interstate was pretty weak. I never got better than like 17-18 mpg in mine, I've got a heavy foot and do 90% around town driving. Im getting about 13 mpg so far in the new truck and that been enjoying the hemi as well. Not sure what the other benefits of the ED were to be honest and this is my 5th hemi (2 Durango's, a 09 Ram and a Charger) so i at least know the basics of the engine. Now that I have it I am realizing how much i missed the get up and go.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've been weighing a bedrug vs getting a full spray in bed liner but I've got a couple other priority's first.

@djevox I didnt have any issues with the ED but also didnt have any real need for it. I dont carry anything heavier than a few sheets of plywood when I have a weekend project. The ED had decent 0-50 acceleration but 50-70 for a merge on the interstate was pretty weak. I never got better than like 17-18 mpg in mine, I've got a heavy foot and do 90% around town driving. Im getting about 13 mpg so far in the new truck and that been enjoying the hemi as well. Not sure what the other benefits of the ED were to be honest and this is my 5th hemi (2 Durango's, a 09 Ram and a Charger) so i at least know the basics of the engine. Now that I have it I am realizing how much i missed the get up and go.
That was a great explanation, thanks for telling me.

Oh, and I bought a westin rubber bedmat, so that’s an option instead of the bedrug.

jcspino

Reaction score
I installed 2" lowering springs today, kind of disappointed with the result I'm not sure that it looks any lower to me. PXL_20211005_192642681.jpg

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look at the pictures in your original post then look at the last picture. You can for sure tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duran

Reaction score
Nice one. Post pics of yhe light hook up if you get a chance

jcspino

Reaction score
Look at the pictures in your original post then look at the last picture. You can for sure tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks and your right, after a side by side and a few looks out of the garage it's grown on me and I'm happy with it. If it was an expensive upgrade I may be upset but for $150 I'm happy and I'd do it again.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Sweet Ride , my I suggest some Weather Tech mud flaps, saves a lot of rock chips on fenders and quarters, and install is easy.

Got pipe

Reaction score
I have the full padded bed rug with a Peragon folding tonneau. It seems to be working out pretty well. Also the weather tech mud flaps. No rock chips after 33k miles with rebel wheels and tires.

jcspino

Reaction score
thanks all, just ordered some WT mud flaps. the tonneu is the one from my gen4 so it will need to be replaced but is ok for now. When i replace it I will definitely do a folding or retractable hard cover.

For anyone interested and also just for me to collect my thoughts I have come up with an additional list of upgrades I'm putting on my one-day list:

Black tow hooks
Light bar behind grill between tow hooks
front camera ideally OEM integrated
bed lights
OPT7 tailgate light bar and running lights
bed protection of some kind

we will see what else......

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
thanks all, just ordered some WT mud flaps. the tonneu is the one from my gen4 so it will need to be replaced but is ok for now. When i replace it I will definitely do a folding or retractable hard cover.

For anyone interested and also just for me to collect my thoughts I have come up with an additional list of upgrades I'm putting on my one-day list:

Black tow hooks
Light bar behind grill between tow hooks
front camera ideally OEM integrated
bed lights
OPT7 tailgate light bar and running lights
bed protection of some kind

we will see what else......
TRX rear tow hooks from Shifts and Grins?
Sorry if I added to your list and expense account.

Users who are viewing this thread