5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking Gas Cap

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One word.... Paranoid.

I suspect those clamoring for a lock are first-time capless gas tank owners. I've been on car and truck forums probably since forums came about and I can't recall anyone from Fords, GMs or Dodge/Ram complaining about getting tanks messed with. All sorts of vandalism threads over the years but gas being contaminated from vandalism? Nope. Plenty of threads about contaminated gas from water in gas station fillups.
I love not having to screw around with gas caps. I've had capless gas tank vehicles since 2008 with no door locks. Well, I did have one on a Corvette but that was quickly disabled because the dumb solenoids would fail frequently enough. For years one or two sat outside 24/7.
Anyway.... Whatever let's you sleep at night.......

So it’s paranoia that most manufacturers have the filler door lock when the vehicle is locked? Why do they spend the extra cost and engineering effort to do it? 70.00 is peanuts to eliminate the risk of some jack hole ruining my truck when I’m not around to ruin his day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As luck would have it, it just showed up. Pretty straight forward install. In my case I did have to play with it a bit to slide over the cap. Could me my filler neck is off a tiny bit. However once on, it looks like it will do its job....

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So it’s paranoia that most manufacturers have the filler door lock when the vehicle is locked? Why do they spend the extra cost and engineering effort to do it? 70.00 is peanuts to eliminate the risk of some jack hole ruining my truck when I’m not around to ruin his day.

My 3 Mustangs since 2008 had no locks/no caps, none of my Rams or Dodges (including my Ram diesel 2500), my Jeep had no locks but a screw on cap(which was a pain). Literally millions of vehicles on the road with capless tanks without locks. Like I said..... You're being paranoid over the whole thing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 3 Mustangs since 2008 had no locks/no caps, none of my Rams or Dodges (including my Ram diesel 2500), my Jeep had no locks but a screw on cap(which was a pain). Literally millions of vehicles on the road with capless tanks without locks. Like I said..... You're being paranoid over the whole thing.
That's great for you. You've never had anyone mess with your vehicle. Does that mean you never lock your truck or your house either? Just because you've never had an issue doesn't discount the problems that other people have had. I never used to worry about someone messing with my vehicles either. It only took one time to change my mind. Like I said already...it has nothing to do with paranoia.

The great thing about this is we have the choice to add a locking gas cap, just like you have the option not to buy one. Works out for us all. ;)

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the image I’ve been waiting for! Thank you I’ll be ordering one now

In case you need confirmation....the raised circle on the black part sits in the filler neck opening and the red part slides around the lip on the cap and gets tightened Works great

0795cc2507a6e2a749570203aedfd150.jpg

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's great for you. You've never had anyone mess with your vehicle. Does that mean you never lock your truck or your house either? Just because you've never had an issue doesn't discount the problems that other people have had. I never used to worry about someone messing with my vehicles either. It only took one time to change my mind. Like I said already...it has nothing to do with paranoia.

The great thing about this is we have the choice to add a locking gas cap, just like you have the option not to buy one. Works out for us all. ;)
Yes, I have had vehicles vandalized over my 54 years of ownership, from getting egged, to wheels stolen and things in my interior taken like toll tokens and a radar detector. So yes, I lock my house and vehicles to deter theft. I'm way more likely to get hit by lightning than someone putting something in my tank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I have had vehicles vandalized over my 54 years of ownership, from getting egged, to wheels stolen and things in my interior taken like toll tokens and a radar detector. So yes, I lock my house and vehicles to deter theft. I'm way more likely to get hit by lightning than someone putting something in my tank.
Well, that and its a myth about sugar in the gas tank causing issue. At the worst it will just clog your fuel filter.

PostPremium

Reaction score
Do you take precautions not to get struck by lightning even though the chances of it happening are astronomically low? Same with OP...

Sherran

Reaction score

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not meaning to dash anyone's hopes of this preventing people from doing stuff/stealing gas, but it looks like anyone with a pair of needle nose pliers or vice grips can get this off. Is that just a screw with a divot that tightens and loosens to allow the red piece to slide off the lip?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not meaning to dash anyone's hopes of this preventing people from doing stuff/stealing gas, but it looks like anyone with a pair of needle nose pliers or vice grips can get this off. Is that just a screw with a divot that tightens and loosens to allow the red piece to slide off the lip?

It’s a unique screw that does not have any flat sides. It’s an offset circle indent and the key creates leverage to turn it. True, any thief walking around with a set of pliers can get in but the odds of a thief having tools with him might be slim. This is probably designed to keep the punk kid from putting something into your tank or siphoning off gas.

A locking gas filler door would be easier to break than this cap.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a deterrent. Nothing is foolproof.

Does an alarm stop a criminal? Nope, but it will deter most of them from trying as there are easier marks out there.

The harder it is for a would-be thief/vandalizer the more likely they are to pass on your vehicle and move onto one that's easier and less effort.

My last truck was a Ford F-250. Takes 20 seconds to take a tailgate and about a minute to drop the spare tire. I didn't know this for the first couple of years I had the truck. Did I ever get them stolen? Nope. Did I do something when I found out to make sure they didn't get stolen in the future? Yep. Would they have been stolen if I didn't do anything? Who knows, but I didn't have to worry about either of them walking away. That was money well spent in my book...just like this is.

Just my .02

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a deterrent. Nothing is foolproof.

Does an alarm stop a criminal? Nope, but it will deter most of them from trying as there are easier marks out there.

The harder it is for a would-be thief/vandalizer the more likely they are to pass on your vehicle and move onto one that's easier and less effort.

My last truck was a Ford F-250. Takes 20 seconds to take a tailgate and about a minute to drop the spare tire. I didn't know this for the first couple of years I had the truck. Did I ever get them stolen? Nope. Did I do something when I found out to make sure they didn't get stolen in the future? Yep. Would they have been stolen if I didn't do anything? Who knows, but I didn't have to worry about either of them walking away. That was money well spent in my book...just like this is.

Just my .02
Not bashing people for getting one, by any means. I've used locking caps before when gas prices went through the roof and people were stealing. In almost all cases this will deter someone from messing with it. Just saying for $60 I'd at least expect a proper key/lock and not a screw. My point is that I could 3D print one of these for a few hours of CAD modeling, $3 in plastic, and a $0.50 bolt for the same level of security.

It's a lot easier to carry a pair of pliers in your pocket than it is a tailgate. There's a reason thieves don't steal 65" TV's from houses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online