5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking Gas Cap

Doc33

Reaction score
It's a deterrent. Nothing is foolproof.

Does an alarm stop a criminal? Nope, but it will deter most of them from trying as there are easier marks out there.

The harder it is for a would-be thief/vandalizer the more likely they are to pass on your vehicle and move onto one that's easier and less effort.

My last truck was a Ford F-250. Takes 20 seconds to take a tailgate and about a minute to drop the spare tire. I didn't know this for the first couple of years I had the truck. Did I ever get them stolen? Nope. Did I do something when I found out to make sure they didn't get stolen in the future? Yep. Would they have been stolen if I didn't do anything? Who knows, but I didn't have to worry about either of them walking away. That was money well spent in my book...just like this is.

Just my .02
Is Geno's garage the only place to get this? We Canadians might like but not for extra $50 bucks shipping plus exchange rate

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not bashing people for getting one, by any means. I've used locking caps before when gas prices went through the roof and people were stealing. In almost all cases this will deter someone from messing with it. Just saying for $60 I'd at least expect a proper key/lock and not a screw. My point is that I could 3D print one of these for a few hours of CAD modeling, $3 in plastic, and a $0.50 bolt for the same level of security.

It's a lot easier to carry a pair of pliers in your pocket than it is a tailgate. There's a reason thieves don't steal 65" TV's from houses.
I'm not sure how big the tumbler would be but I agree that something more like a round key from a cable lock would be nicer.

A tailgate is a big item to carry (as is a spare tire) but if someone stops next to your truck, their partner jumps out, takes care of business, tosses the tailgate and tire in the back of their truck/SUV, they are in and out in 2 minutes and you are just out. Living in urban areas has its drawbacks. If you live in a nicer area people will travel to your neighborhood as they know there is good stuff to be had. Sad but true.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I would think that unless someone had the special funnel that you could put anything into the tank. It has the flappet and is fairly small and there is not much room to work with.

but if it gives you a peace of mind then that is a small price for that.

also agree that with everything else people purchase for their truck that it might be the cheapest thing.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I have had vehicles vandalized over my 54 years of ownership, from getting egged, to wheels stolen and things in my interior taken like toll tokens and a radar detector. So yes, I lock my house and vehicles to deter theft. I'm way more likely to get hit by lightning than someone putting something in my tank.
So don't buy it. No one is trying to talk you into it. But you seem set on talking people out of buying this for some reason. Just curious as to why you care if anyone buys something like this for their own peace of mind?

Well, that and its a myth about sugar in the gas tank causing issue. At the worst it will just clog your fuel filter.
I have no clue what sugar would do, nor is it the only thing someone might add to a fuel tank. It's just been the most popular in movies and TV shows over the years. Which is probably why those kids were using it. I've also read that moth balls can wreak havoc in your engine if it's added to the fuel, but I don't know if that's true or not either. The point is, I don't want to find out the hard way. It's obviously not going to stop someone who is determined to cause my truck harm. There are a lot more harmful things someone could do than add something to the fuel tank. But it should be enough to deter pranksters, which is a bigger problem where I live.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So don't buy it. No one is trying to talk you into it. But you seem set on talking people out of buying this for some reason. Just curious as to why you care if anyone buys something like this for their own peace of mind?

Because there are many apparently experiencing a non-locking capless system for the first time and are worried about it. I'm pointing out that it's a non-issue. Millions of cars and trucks on the road equipped like that and if it was a serious concern it would be all over the various forums and it's not. It'll be a way bigger problem when the dumb lock fails and you can't get gas in the truck.....

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you take precautions not to get struck by lightning even though the chances of it happening are astronomically low? Same with OP...
Nope... And I lived in the lightning capital of the USA - Florida for about 28 years. Been out on the Gulf and Atlantic in thunderstorms. No place to hide out there and didn't worry much about it.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not meaning to dash anyone's hopes of this preventing people from doing stuff/stealing gas, but it looks like anyone with a pair of needle nose pliers or vice grips can get this off. Is that just a screw with a divot that tightens and loosens to allow the red piece to slide off the lip?

The tank is plastic
It wouldn’t take much for someone to punch a hole and try to get the gas that way

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tank is plastic
It wouldn’t take much for someone to punch a hole and try to get the gas that way
That's a thing here. Instead of taking the time to siphon gas (especially with the new capless filler necks with the extra flap in them) they take a screwdriver, punch a hole in your tank, and take your gas that way.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because there are many apparently experiencing a non-locking capless system for the first time and are worried about it. I'm pointing out that it's a non-issue. Millions of cars and trucks on the road equipped like that and if it was a serious concern it would be all over the various forums and it's not. It'll be a way bigger problem when the dumb lock fails and you can't get gas in the truck.....
People wouldn't buy locking gas caps if it were a non-issue, regardless of whether they have capless or a more traditional filler opening. Most people become concerned when either they experience an issue themselves, or know someone who has. I can't speak for the others here but this is my third vehicle with a non-locking capless system. I still don't like the idea of it. Even if no one ever messes with it, there's still the very real possibility for dirt/dust or water to get into the fuel system through the capless system. The fuel door has a rubber gasket, but I still find dust and moisture in there. This isn't NASCAR and you're not Danny Myers LOL...how much time does it take to remove and replace a gas cap?

The tank is plastic
People stealing gas isn't the reason I'm looking for something like this. And as an FYI...even on an older metal gas tank it's easy to punch a hole.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Modern fuel tanks with the rollover valve pretty much prevent anyone from siphoning your gas the traditional way anyways

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Modern fuel tanks with the rollover valve pretty much prevent anyone from siphoning your gas the traditional way anyways
If you have a long funnel or a small diameter, stiff hose like the ¼-inch hose that runs to your refrigerator ice maker you will have no problem siphoning gas out or putting something into your tank.

The manufacturer should have put a filler lock door on these trucks and we would not be having this discussion. :rolleyes:

We have a locking tailgate which I have not had on any truck prior to this one. Do I like this feature, YES. I liked it so much that I purchased a RetraxPro MX tonneau cover so that I could lock the tonneau as well.

Now I have more Secured Storage on my truck. People that have a RamBox also have locks giving you more secure storage.

Does this make me paranoid or just cautious. :unsure:

I'm sure no one here leaves there truck unlocked all day when shopping or at work. Even though someone could bust your window to access the cab of your truck.

If you do not see a need for a locking gas cap, do not purchase one. Some of us work in areas or schools that it might be the prudent thing to do. :whistle:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine trying to siphon fuel through a 1/4" tube. That would take forever.

And personally, no, I don't see the need for a locking gas cap. If people want to mess with your vehicle, they are going to mess with it. But as the other guy mentioned before, it's just not a large enough problem. Now if you have people purposely trying to screw with you on a regular basis, sure, but then I'd be trying to figure out why, and ossibky moving away if it's that big of an issue.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine trying to siphon fuel through a 1/4" tube. That would take forever.

And personally, no, I don't see the need for a locking gas cap. If people want to mess with your vehicle, they are going to mess with it. But as the other guy mentioned before, it's just not a large enough problem WHERE I LIVE. Now if you have people purposely trying to screw with you on a regular basis, sure, but then I'd be trying to figure out why, and ossibky moving away if it's that big of an issue.
^^Fixed it for you ;)

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, seems more like you fixed it for you.
I can see you and I won't agree on this, so lets just agree to disagree and move on. There are lots of products out there that not everyone needs. The beauty of it is that there are products out there that some of us need or want, and they are not required buying. So if you don't want or need it you don't have to buy it.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Got it! Love it, its made with quality aluminum and I can't believe how simple and effective the design is. I keep the key in my Ram Box.

Attachments

• rb.jpg
    rb.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 50
  • rb1.jpg
    rb1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 50

INVISBLE

Reaction score
My 3 Mustangs since 2008 had no locks/no caps, none of my Rams or Dodges (including my Ram diesel 2500), my Jeep had no locks but a screw on cap(which was a pain). Literally millions of vehicles on the road with capless tanks without locks. Like I said..... You're being paranoid over the whole thing.
Well this does happen. It's happened to several people on my block alone because of punk kids. Paranoia my ***... dont let Karma hear you, it just might come around and bite you in the *** one day.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Not bashing people for getting one, by any means. I've used locking caps before when gas prices went through the roof and people were stealing. In almost all cases this will deter someone from messing with it. Just saying for $60 I'd at least expect a proper key/lock and not a screw. My point is that I could 3D print one of these for a few hours of CAD modeling, $3 in plastic, and a $0.50 bolt for the same level of security.

It's a lot easier to carry a pair of pliers in your pocket than it is a tailgate. There's a reason thieves don't steal 65" TV's from houses.
You sure talk alot of smack dude... for one there are nefarious people that live in this world. Maybe your fortunate enough to live somewhere where they dont affect you... good for you. But for the rest of us a little piece of prevention is enough to ease our minds. Secondly, if someone breaks into your house they will most definitely steal your 65 inch tv.

Users who are viewing this thread